letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Can somebody give me pros and cons of touchless car washes?

Also, things to look for to determine the actual car wash provides good service? Yes, I realize most places have reviews but I mean in terms of what is offered and price points.

It's extremely hot 97+ degrees daily and typically windy where I live (Lancaster/Palmdale, CA). Not a friendly car washing environment or I'd do it myself.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Haven't done one in the R yet - but I will use it weekly during the winter most likely.
I haven't had problems on any cars. That being said they won't do a spectacular job. Ever seen a car with dark spots near body lines? That's a car that's only seen touchless and never a handwash.

I'd just go to a nearby gas station and make sure it doesn't have bristles and get it done.

Warning: Most washes you recycled water - so you might get some clear coat scratches. Being up in Canada, I'd gladly take some of those over leaving salt on it for months at end.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Touch-less is great. It will save your paint over time for sure, but you will need to give it a careful detailed hand wash every 3-6 months.

You have to make contact with the paint at some point to get it truly cleaned properly.

Clay bar/iron and tar remover/polish maybe once every few years.

Too much rubbing and contact with the paint and your car looks like this in less than 10 years.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touchless Car Wash B24E8601-67A9-4792-B8B7-139CEB180D81

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I touchless wash my car. I’ve applied ceramic coating on the car
I use a 1700 psi power washer a foam gun from amazon and chemical guys Mr pink or honeydew and a leaf blower I also live in south west Florida which is very hot and a lot of sun the chemical guys car wash take the sun a little better than some

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hand wash every month or so, touchless car wash in-between when it gets dirty. I also keep Turtle Window Cleaner to clean windows, and Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer to clean off bird crap, bugs, etc. When I do wash by hand I user Meguiar's Gold soap, and Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

mahewd

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Country flag
In the touchless car wash method, there is no risk of light scratches or swirl marks because you are not touching it physically. It conveniently cleans the car using minimal water.
On the other hand, it is not a good method at all for the toughest dirt and grease. It can't reach the hard to reach areas. Sometimes, it uses harsh chemicals to clean the car that can shorten the lifespan of waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings applied to the car.

Thatguyraw

I don’t own a civic
First Name
Raw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Can somebody give me pros and cons of touchless car washes?

Also, things to look for to determine the actual car wash provides good service? Yes, I realize most places have reviews but I mean in terms of what is offered and price points.

It's extremely hot 97+ degrees daily and typically windy where I live (Lancaster/Palmdale, CA). Not a friendly car washing environment or I'd do it myself.
Touchless Drive-thr carwash
Pros - it’s touchless no brush or contact = No Swirls

Cons - recycle water, high level PH soap that could strip away wax or degrade ceramic coating life, doesn’t clean will if your car is madd dirty.

I do my own touchless wash, I contact once a month

1. Rinse the car real good
2. Spray wheel and tire cleaner
3. Foam the Car let foam sit for 5-6 minutes
4. Rinse the Foam using D.I spot-free water system
5. Sun dry or leaf blower
6. Wipe windows and tire shine

If I contact I would repeat step 1 and 3 before contact wash removing as much micro dirt as possible. Black car owner you will thank me later ?

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Personally from what I've seen in my area I wouldn't spend a nickel on a car wash. Recycled water, poor quality detergents that strip the wax off and leave a dirty film. Tell me that the recycled water doesn't have salt in it in the winter months spraying it back into all the little areas that it would never get in the first place. I highly doubt they change the water filters often at all also. My game plan has always hand wash if it's above 32 degrees. Dry with a leaf blower. If it's blazing hot wash it before the sun comes up or just after it sets. Lot's of wax and clay bar every spring and a very fine polish after the clay bar.

OP
OP

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Touchless Drive-thr carwash
Pros - it’s touchless no brush or contact = No Swirls

Cons - recycle water, high level PH soap that could strip away wax or degrade ceramic coating life, doesn’t clean will if your car is madd dirty.

I do my own touchless wash, I contact once a month

1. Rinse the car real good
2. Spray wheel and tire cleaner
3. Foam the Car let foam sit for 5-6 minutes
4. Rinse the Foam using D.I spot-free water system
5. Sun dry or leaf blower
6. Wipe windows and tire shine

If I contact I would repeat step 1 and 3 before contact wash removing as much micro dirt as possible. Black car owner you will thank me later ?
How do you sun dry without getting water spots? Also, can you elaborate on this D.I Spot-free water system? I live in a desert outside of Los Angeles. It is minimum 97 degrees and probably 101 on average throughout the summer and early fall. I have very minimal shade at my house also lol.

Thatguyraw

I don’t own a civic
First Name
Raw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I’m currently running D.I Rinse Pro 100 that dose 3000ish gallons depending on TSD level of your water, system has a bypass valve built-in so you are able to wash with none filter water and filter water by switch the valve
https://dirinse.com/product/d-i-rinse-pro-100-system/

Honda Civic 10th gen Touchless Car Wash 3B895CA8-7816-46F4-8AEF-57091474FB85

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Does anyone know if the self-service car wash bays use the same, harsh soap as the drive-through auto touchless washes? I’m talking about the spray wand soap, not the stupid foam brush.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I use touchless and soft touch automatic washes and occasionally hand wash it. I keep a good coat of wax on it all the time and it looks fine. It's a Civic not a Lambo so not going to be a two bucket car wash nazi for a mass produced economy car.

Touchless does have the harsh chemicals that will stain the plastics so dry off the car and don't let it bake on the car in the sun.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I use touchless and soft touch automatic washes and occasionally hand wash it. I keep a good coat of wax on it all the time and it looks fine. It's a Civic not a Lambo so not going to be a two bucket car wash nazi for a mass produced economy car.

Touchless does have the harsh chemicals that will stain the plastics so dry off the car and don't let it bake on the car in the sun.
Amen brother, i go to the regular car wash all the time. I'm not going to waste my personal time hand washing a Honda, life is far too short for that garbage. I clay and wax my car at least once a year, and will eventually polish the swirl marks out of the black paint when it gets bad. touchless washes are great for the winter time, i tend to stay away from the other auto washes until summer is back. also use Adam's waterless wash in-between washes when its still semi clean.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Instead of taking it through a car wash, you can polish it yourself with a hose, car wash mitts, towels, buckets, and natural cleaners formulated with easy-to-get and simple ingredients that are right in your kitchen, like dish soap, laundry detergent, and baking soda.
I’ve definitely heard not to use non-car-specific soaps, especially dish soap. You want pH-neutral soaps so the clear coat isn’t damaged right?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve definitely heard not to use non-car-specific soaps, especially dish soap. You want pH-neutral soaps so the clear coat isn’t damaged right?

I don't know of dish soap hurting the clear coat but it will strip wax and coatings very well so if you do use it make sure you wax/coat after., I have used it once or twice just to take any leftover coating off and start over. The rest of what you quoted I wouldn't even humor the idea of.
Sponsored