Touchless car wash props open the fuel lid

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Just noticed soap actually get in the fuel lid when I went to get gas after a touchless car wash....Fuel lid was shut all the way through the car wash.
Are you talking about the outer door? Is that surprising? There are no seals around the door edges, are there?
Sponsored

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
Are you talking about the outer door? Is that surprising? There are no seals around the door edges, are there?
It is kinda surprising as I never had this happen to my other car which is also an Acura. People complain about gas leaking in that area, even though the soup PH level is not as harmful as actual gas...I doubt it will do the plastic in that area any good since Car Wash Soup is known to have a lot of chemicals in it to wash off all the dirt off cars.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It is kinda surprising as I never had this happen to my other car which is also an Acura. People complain about gas leaking in that area, even though the soup PH level is not as harmful as actual gas...I doubt it will do the plastic in that area any good since Car Wash Soup is known to have a lot of chemicals in it to wash off all the dirt off cars.
When you drive away, the aerodynamics might suck this out. Of course, then it leaves a streak on the fender behind the fuel door. Likewise, rain or similar will also get in there and dilute/wash away any evil car wash chemicals. I wouldn't loose sleep over it. I think most fuel doors do this, though the circumstances where it's readily apparent may not be frequent.

JohnG307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Anyone else worry about touchless car washes spraying water where it isn't supposed to go?

Honda Civic 10th gen Touchless car wash props open the fuel lid 2016_03_23_2

tgold106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else worry about touchless car washes spraying water where it isn't supposed to go?

I only bring my car to the totally touchless car wash (no contact with brushes or anything slapping the car) and it's only during the Winter. I am not concerned...think about it...what happens when it rains outside...lightly, moderately, heavily? Since having the Civic, I have used a touchless car wash twice and it was fine...other than the fact that this car has lots of angles so it doesn't come out as clean as it does by hand.

Last edited:

CarRookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
The same thing just happened to me. My car was unlocked because I was driving at low speed after fueling up. The fuel cover popped up during the car wash.

I'm not sure what to do because I don't know if a lot of water went in or even if soap went in. I did check after and there was a thin layer of water at the bottom of the compartment.
Maybe the water evaporated while the car was being dried as well. I don't know if it is worth a visit to the mechanic and also how easy it is to tell if there is a significant amount of water that went in. It might cancel out any warranty if I go to the dealer for an inspection and I don't know of a trustworthy mechanic at the moment.
My fuel tank was full. Would that have pushed back water as well? I'm also thinking that the fuel door would have hopefully pushed back some direct water thrusts as it is initially popped opened close to the car.

Civic Nut, is your car running with no trouble now?

Thanks
CarRookie

Just something I noticed this weekend after I got a touchless car wash... the fuel cover/lid propped open by the water pressure. I hope it didn't take in water.

Just a note of caution if you're going through touchless car washes as well.

I might tape it up next time, or try another car wash.

Can't wait for summer to have the pleasure of washing my own car... too cold right now.
Just something I noticed this weekend after I got a touchless car wash... the fuel cover/lid propped open by the water pressure. I hope it didn't take in water.

Just a note of caution if you're going through touchless car washes as well.

I might tape it up next time, or try another car wash.

Can't wait for summer to have the pleasure of washing my own car... too cold right now.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

It's fine. Realistically how possible is it to NOT get water in your cabin air intake. Most of the water will channel and drip through the engine bay, and whatever gets caught will just add a bit of moisture to your cabin; run the AC if you're worried.

What you should NOT do, is stand there with a pressure washer and just flooding that area. A bit of water is no reason to lose sleep over.

The same thing just happened to me. My car was unlocked because I was driving at low speed after fueling up. The fuel cover popped up during the car wash.

I'm not sure what to do because I don't know if a lot of water went in or even if soap went in. I did check after and there was a thin layer of water at the bottom of the compartment.
Maybe the water evaporated while the car was being dried as well. I don't know if it is worth a visit to the mechanic and also how easy it is to tell if there is a significant amount of water that went in. It might cancel out any warranty if I go to the dealer for an inspection and I don't know of a trustworthy mechanic at the moment.
My fuel tank was full. Would that have pushed back water as well? I'm also thinking that the fuel door would have hopefully pushed back some direct water thrusts as it is initially popped opened close to the car.

Thanks
CarRookie
If you have water in your gas, your engine will struggle; if you have a LOT of water in your gas, your engine will hydrolock and pistons will come flying through the hood.

If none of those have happened, don't worry, and just make sure to lock the door the next time.

No reason to take it to a mechanic, unless you feel the engine struggling. If you're REALLY worried, go buy a bottle of water-removing fuel additive, but again, this may do more harm than good if there's nothing to worry about in the first place.

OP
OP
CivicNut

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag

Thanks
CarRookie
@CarRookie - Car's running just fine. I don't think there's much for you to worry about. The inside lid is fairly tight so little or no water would have gotten in unless you target the power spray directly at the opening.

Don't worry and enjoy you car!

Now that the weather is nice, maybe wash the car yourself ;)

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Sorry, noob here...so what I'm reading...eventhough my gas door is the push type, it can still be locked if i have my doors locked while going through the car wash? this happened to me once too and I freaked out because I was afraid of getting water in my fuel tank.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Sorry, noob here...so what I'm reading...eventhough my gas door is the push type, it can still be locked if i have my doors locked while going through the car wash? this happened to me once too and I freaked out because I was afraid of getting water in my fuel tank.
Yes. The gas lid will lock when the car is locked.

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Thanks so much!! I tried it this morning before I went to work. Awesome, now I can stop being paranoid thinking someone can pour sand in my tank. :p

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Just had this happen to me. I had to open the door while in park to slide the credit card through before entering the car wash. When I put it back in drive I never reached the speed to auto lock and sure enough the gas door opened during the car wash.

I noticed there is a small hole at the bottom of the plastic housing around the gas cap. Looks like a drainage hole. Anyone know where this drains to? Had a decent amount of soap and water sitting in there that I tried to soak up with a towel.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All the way open, or just against the catch? I'd make sure my doors are locked going through, so it at least couldn't be opened all the way.
This pretty much sold separately this issue right?

Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored