Touch volume control not working?

chard31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Glad I found this thread...
This is one of the issues on my list of issues when I bring my '17 HB to the dealer...
My swipe hasn't worked since I got the car so now I know it's not just me...
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Doesn't work on my EX-L. Hoping for a software update!

vanscamps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Hatch comes in March, this is pretty disappointing news. The swipable rocker on the wheel made up for the lack of volume knob.

robinsoc76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
Took delivery of of a '17 EX hatch just a few days ago. On check-out at the dealer, they seemed confused as to why the rocker wasn't touch sensitive but couldn't find an entry in the head unit to enable it (as seen earlier in this thread). Dealer promised to look into it. If I get anything further on this, I'll share here. Hoping a future software update does give this back to the hatch.

UPDATE 170303: Response from the dealer as to why the steering wheel volume rocker isn't touch sensitive: It has been disabled in the hatchback; apparently many customers found it distracting.

Last edited:

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Throwing in my two cents: I got my EX Hatch in late January and the Features Guy (last person you talk to after the sale) told me it was simply not a feature of the '17 Hatch. I didn't think to ask at the time if it was a matter of simply removing its capability from the software side or if the volume clicker no longer "physically" has the ability to do this.

My wife's '16 EX T has the steering wheel slider and I honestly didn't like it much. I am in the minority that prefers the clicker I guess!

ediblebirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 ST
Country flag
I was going to call my dealer and saw this thread. This is very disappointing, I traded in my Touring for the Sport Touring and loved that feature.

seewyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Wasn't crazy about the 'ridges' but liked the idea of swiping while test driving the 2017 Touring. Didn't even consider that it wouldn't be available on the Sport Touring!!?!! :doh:

Brought mine home yesterday and when it wasn't working, was going to see dealer tomorrow. Now I'm looking fore someone at Honda to share my disappointment with. :bs:

Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum; it's already helped me after 1 day!
:imnew:
-Cheers

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to activate the swipe feature.

I haven't gotten into the coding with Hondas, but in the VW community (more familiar with that, myself) it is pretty common for people to buy the proper cable and use Ross Tech software to access the car's computer. You can code on/off all kinds of features. You can set which tail lights do what, activate/deactivate seat belt chime, all kinds of little hacks. Some of it is pretty cool. You can set the brake lights to flash a few times during panic braking, for instance. You can enable a courtesy wipe a few seconds after you use your windshield washer, to catch that last little drip that always runs down. Change the number of turn signal flashes when you press the lever one time. Enable the windows and sunroof to be closed via your keyless remote fob. Little stuff like that.

If the Civic were a VW, there would be a little check box in a coding sub menu somewhere that you could check to enable the swipe button. Honda may have a completely different methodology to how techs can interact with the car's features, I don't know. But I'd be surprised if there weren't similarities. My guess is that the hatches come out of the factory with the feature "unchecked", set to inactive by default.

Some enterprising individual at the dealer level could probably dig around and see if the volume swipe can be enabled/disabled selectively, or if the option doesn't even exist at all on the hatch. More likely the former, I'd think.

Maybe I'm totally off base, and someone with Honda service interface experience can educate me on the matter.

JayHondaZach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback EX-T
Hey Everybody,

I work for a Honda Dealership in Bedford, OH. I would like to help you all put this to rest. I looked into this myself today, both through my Honda resources and testing in the cars themselves. The official answer is, in the latest software update for Civic Hatchbacks the feature was removed along with the settings to control it. It is however, still available in the Civic Coupe lineup, the Civic Sedans, and also the new '17 CRV lineup.

As of yet there is no word of Honda planning to remove the feature from the remaining products that have it.

I know this is rather displeasing, and I agree. I also have the Civic Hatchback EX and really liked this feature. Unfortunately neither I, nor my service department, know a work around as of yet.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Don't lament the swipe-volume not working too much -- I disabled it on my Touring coupe. I found the amount I needed to change the volume up or down was rather small (just one or two presses of the up or down button), and the swipe was much too coarse a control.

In addition, when I was aiming for the + or - button I would touch the swipe unintentionally. For my 2 cents, the swipe was a not-so-great idea, badly executed.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The official answer is, in the latest software update for Civic Hatchbacks the feature was removed along with the settings to control it. It is however, still available in the Civic Coupe lineup, the Civic Sedans, and also the new '17 CRV lineup.

I know this is rather displeasing, ...
I'm not displeased at all. I'm living with both options now, and I can't stand the swipe.

My wife and I have a '17 hatch and a '17 CR-V, and if anything, I'm displeased by how the swipe function in her CR-V works.

I think it's a mistake to have swipe controls in a car because no real-world driving is flat and smooth (at least, nowhere I've lived). I am also going to turn it off in the CR-V and may never turn it back on.

frankgrimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatch Sport, 08' Pilot EX
Country flag
I'd rather see the option available to those who choose to use it instead of stripping features on something we've paid good money for. It's a greater insult that there's a difference in functionality between the lineup.

While my 17' HB was in the shop for 8 weeks getting its blown engine replaced the wife and I came to enjoy that swipe function in our loaner sedan. It was so nice to be able to quickly silence the music without having to power off the audio or clicking the minus button 10+ times. It may be a bit of an exaggeration but how happy would the community be if they opted to turn something else off like the walk-away auto lock feature?

chard31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Agreed!!!
Why not just leave it in and let the consumer have the option to leave it on or turn it off!!!

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is only available in models without 'Sport' mode. Not quite sure who the rocket scientist was who decided for the masses...but...he ought to be slapped upside his haid.... The owner should have the option to decide.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
It is only available in models without 'Sport' mode.
More specifically, the swipe feature is not present on hatchbacks or the Si. It is currently only on the non-Si coupe and sedan.

My only complaint is that the steering wheel controls on my '17 Ridgeline and '17 Civic are completely different. For example, pressing UP/DOWN on my Ridgeline changes the volume, but pressing UP/DOWN on my Civic changes the audio source - changing the volume requires pressing a dedicated volume button. Going between two different Honda vehicles of the same year model, I have to think about what I'm pressing.
Sponsored