Totalled?

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgundy Night Pearl 2016 Civic EX-T
Dunno if this is the right place for this, so let me tell the story, and if it needs to move it can be moved...

Last Tuesday, after work, I was on this atrocious on ramp to get onto Highway 270 around St Louis. It's a horrible ramp because there are actually TWO entrances to it before dumping out onto the highway. I was sitting on the second entrance, people come hurtling into the first at about 45-50 mph so you must sit with your head craned about 160-170 degrees over your left shoulder to see if there is a gap to shoot into.

There was a large Nissan SUV waiting ahead of me. Murrano or the next step up in size, not sure.

A gap comes open and the SUV takes off. I crank around one more time to make sure the gap was still open enough for me to shoot into. It was. ECON mode is off so I hit it to get into the flow of traffic cleanly, before someone else comes blasting into to the top entrance. I start moving forward, turn forward, see the SUV stopped on the entrance ramp, wet myself a little and crank the wheel hard to the right hoping to squeeze between the stopped SUV and the guard rail.

Didn't make it. My driver's side front met the underside of her passenger side rear. Not even hard enough to deploy the air bags. Got out, wondering how bad my not even 4 month old Civic was and this is what I saw...

Honda Civic 10th gen Totalled? 20160531_183323 Honda Civic 10th gen Totalled? 20160531_183328 Honda Civic 10th gen Totalled? 20160531_183335 View attachment 11951 View attachment 11953

No idea why she stopped, and the impact wasn't even enough to pop my glasses off, but the damage looks incredible! There were a couple of nicks in the plastic on her bumper. Now I'm afraid the dealership and insurance may want to cashier my new ride. Just curious what the forum members who work in dealerships and garages may think of what they see. Car drove just fine, when I drove it to the dealership collision center. Turbo seemed to spool up fine. Didn't feel any pull in the steering. Just don't know.

Opinions?

Honda Civic 10th gen Totalled? 20160531_183317

Honda Civic 10th gen Totalled? 20160531_183347

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
From what I see it looks very repairable. Unless there is unseen damage (frame/unibody) I can't imaging it would be totaled.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Do you the think the sensing features Would have helped you?

OP
OP

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you the think the sensing features Would have helped you?
I'm seriously wondering that myself! If they do total it I'll probably look at a Touring for a few bucks a month more, just to get that. And the rattling sub...

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I can say this, Honda Collision Mitigation has kicked in twice for me and, yes, it reacted much faster than I could of. A girl on a cell phone in an SUV pulled out in front of me as I was tired from working. Yes, this feature, I think will be mandatory in the future. I also know of another couple that was following a hay truck and several bails of hay flew off and landed in the road and it stop before they could blink. May not have cause a lot of damage, but who knows. I bought the Touring because of it.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I can say this, Honda Collision Mitigation has kicked in twice for me and, yes, it reacted much faster than I could of. A girl on a cell phone in an SUV pulled out in front of me as I was tired from working. Yes, this feature, I think will be mandatory in the future. I also know of another couple that was following a hay truck and several bails of hay flew off and landed in the road and it stop before they could blink. May not have cause a lot of damage, but who knows. I bought the Touring because of it.
Thats one of the main reasons I going to get a touring model aswell. I dont under why people buying a civic and not getting this feature. Its only a 1000.00 more thats like 17.00 a month. Your deductible is between 500.00 and a 1000.00 if it saves you from one accident in a lifetime of the car it almost paid for itself.

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Sorry that happened. Hope you get it fixed soon and looking like new again.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I will make a suggestion to the shop that does the repair, as for a factory paint pack. You can do that you know. Don't settle for that computerize matching system, don't work that good on metallics...ASK FOR A FACTORY PAINT PACK. The can order it from a Honda dealer and it comes from the factory and is a true factory paint and closest to matching your car as possible. Did that before...

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Probably $8-9k, but maybe not if the passenger side is all good.

Either way, labor is a huge part of these. You can look online for parts prices unless your insurance goes with "OEM equivalents".

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will make a suggestion to the shop that does the repair, as for a factory paint pack. You can do that you know. Don't settle for that computerize matching system, don't work that good on metallics...ASK FOR A FACTORY PAINT PACK. The can order it from a Honda dealer and it comes from the factory and is a true factory paint and closest to matching your car as possible. Did that before...
It's at the dealer collision center so I'm hoping they'll do this. I may still go and ask now though... Thanks for the recommendation!

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's at the dealer collision center so I'm hoping they'll do this. I may still go and ask now though... Thanks for the recommendation!
Make sure your insurance uses OEM parts and not cheap aftermarket knock offs.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If the car still drives straight, it's likely mostly cosmetic and should be a relatively easy repair.

OP
OP

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not looking good, so far.

Spoke to insurance adjuster. He said the collision center is finding hidden damage, other that the surface damage. He has asked them to do a complete teardown of the front end to get a good notion of all the damage. Possible frame and turbo damage being looked into.

Maybe I do need to start thinking about that Touring...

Kinda a bummer... Loved that first beasty.
Sponsored