2.0L Total car noob here. Is it possible to swap my current engine for a turbo version?

Madness420x

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Hello all. I currently have a 2016 Civic Coupe, it has the automatic transmission CVT and 2.0liter VTEC engine.

is it possible to swap this engine out for the 1.5 turbo engine that is found in the EX version of the civic?

sorry for such a dumb question lmfao im just a total car noob and was wondering if this was possible.
Sponsored

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hello all. I currently have a 2016 Civic Coupe, it has the automatic transmission CVT and 2.0liter VTEC engine.

is it possible to swap this engine out for the 1.5 turbo engine that is found in the EX version of the civic?

sorry for such a dumb question lmfao im just a total car noob and was wondering if this was possible.
It is but it’s a lot of money to the point you’re just better off trading the car in for one.

OP
OP

Madness420x

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
It is but it’s a lot of money to the point you’re just better off trading the car in for one.

oh ok. im also very uneducated to when it comes to things like that hahaha

wouldnt i be kinda screwed for the time being? i just financed this car a few months ago ... wouldnt it be depreciated a lot already? like how much would i "lose" if i tried to trade it in for a 1.5 turbo version that is the same price i bought this one for?

i dont know how all of that works. do i have to get my car appraised or anything?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anything is possible with the right amount of time, money, knowledge. However, doesn't mean it's worth the time, money, or stress. If you're in the position to, I would highly recommend trading back in for a vehicle that has the 1.5T in it already. Would be a LOT less stressful than trying to find a 1.5T motor and CVT combo, + ECU, Gauge cluster, and other supporting parts, then paying a shop to do the work.

Best course of action is go back to the dealership and ask them what the value of the car is, see if they'd work out some sort of trade for you. You'll have to come up with extra money to make the difference on a trim that comes with the 1.5T of course, but even then it would probably still be cheaper, and certainly less stressful, than doing all the work mentioned above to motor and transmission swap a 1.5T into your car.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're a noob, I'm đź’Ż you should trade into a 1.5T 6MT. Sport Hatch if you have a family, Si Coupe if you don't.

OP
OP

Madness420x

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
If you're a noob, I'm đź’Ż you should trade into a 1.5T 6MT. Sport Hatch if you have a family, Si Coupe if you don't.
unfortunately i never learned to drive manual lol, and tbh i dont really want to drive manual. i find myself driving with 1 hand a lot of times XD (which im sure is possible with a manual but not for me hehe)
Anything is possible with the right amount of time, money, knowledge. However, doesn't mean it's worth the time, money, or stress. If you're in the position to, I would highly recommend trading back in for a vehicle that has the 1.5T in it already. Would be a LOT less stressful than trying to find a 1.5T motor and CVT combo, + ECU, Gauge cluster, and other supporting parts, then paying a shop to do the work.

Best course of action is go back to the dealership and ask them what the value of the car is, see if they'd work out some sort of trade for you. You'll have to come up with extra money to make the difference on a trim that comes with the 1.5T of course, but even then it would probably still be cheaper, and certainly less stressful, than doing all the work mentioned above to motor and transmission swap a 1.5T into your car.

right on thanks, i will look into it. i do really like this car but unfortunately when i bought it i was very nooby about cars and quite frankly didntr car much about the speed of the car, i just wanted a car. now that i have a better job and stuff i kinda wanna just spice up my car a bit, but if trading it in is the best option then maybe one day i can make trhat happen! thanks!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
unfortunately i never learned to drive manual lol, and tbh i dont really want to drive manual. i find myself driving with 1 hand a lot of times XD (which im sure is possible with a manual but not for me hehe)

right on thanks, i will look into it. i do really like this car but unfortunately when i bought it i was very nooby about cars and quite frankly didntr car much about the speed of the car, i just wanted a car. now that i have a better job and stuff i kinda wanna just spice up my car a bit, but if trading it in is the best option then maybe one day i can make trhat happen! thanks!

A slightly more open exhaust (Maybe just the muffler. Not being loud is needed), intake, lighter wheels and a tune may go a long way in increasing your enjoyment of the car. I LOVED my 2015 Honda Fit. I tried to tweak it as much as I could modification wise. It was slow stock (17.2-17.4@82-83mph in the 1/4 mile) so you can imagine how I may have felt but I knew what I was getting into. After tweaking everything as much as I could, it was a blast to drive. Very enjoyable. Only reason why I traded it in was for my wife to purchase her first car (2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch). I had no plans on getting my current Honda Civic. The Honda Fit was quicker than it was stock but still slow overall. It was fun to drive though. I miss it! :love:

OP
OP

Madness420x

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
A slightly more open exhaust (Maybe just the muffler. Not being loud is needed), intake, lighter wheels and a tune may go a long way in increasing your enjoyment of the car. I LOVED my 2015 Honda Fit. I tried to tweak it as much as I could modification wise. It was slow stock (17.2-17.4@82-83mph in the 1/4 mile) so you can imagine how I may have felt but I knew what I was getting into. After tweaking everything as much as I could, it was a blast to drive. Very enjoyable. Only reason why I traded it in was for my wife to purchase her first car (2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch). I had no plans on getting my current Honda Civic. The Honda Fit was quicker than it was stock but still slow overall. It was fun to drive though. I miss it! :love:

yeah man i already really like this little car. my only real complaint is the slow speed from a dead-stop. but i hear the ktuner throttle response 2 helps a lot with that. i ordered a ktuner for it 6 weeks ago but it keeps being poushed back or something. i think if i dont get it by the end of this week im just gonna cancel that order, get a refund and buy a ktuner1.2 from amazon cuz those have 2 day shipping.

im so frikken excited to get it tuned man. i know its gonna be epic. i tuned my old 2007 f150 back in the day with a cheap ass tuner and it was great, so i know this ktuner is gonna be sweet!

im so fuckin stoked man, ive waited for so long lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Save your money and trade it in. Cvt will always feel inconsistent. Tuning is just a bandaid. Turbo makes it a bit more bearable, but it's still not quite right.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm afraid I have to agree with @jtrader on this one. I knew what I was getting into with my Honda Fit CVT and I knew what I was getting into with the 1.5 turbo CVT. People complain about the acceleration from a dead stop. The Ktuner will help somewhat but I don't think the result will be what you are looking for. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I've done silly things with my CVT to have it accelerate from a dead stop like it does and wouldn't recommend it. Ktuner with a manual 1.5ltr turbo may be the ticket.

An F150 torque is in another league than this 1.5ltr NA.

OP
OP

Madness420x

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
what about the accord 2.0turbo? i was watching a 0-60 video of a ktuned one and it seemed pretty frikken decent if i must say so myself.

the thing is... i cant drive manual.... i dont know how and i dont want to..... so i needs me a sissy automatic lol

either way... i think im gonna keep this civic for a year or so. i want to rebuild my credit score a bit before i try to get another loan. my credit score actually went up 24 points today! so im on my way!

this car isnt bad...... sure i know its not the turbo version... but hey... i still like it..... i think its a sexy fuckin car, i like that it gets good MPG, i like how small it is, i like how easy it is to fit in places and just zip around town in general. i dont feel like its a "slow car" by any means.... i def have my fun on the highway with it.

all in all... its a pretty dope little car, i think ill enjoy it for awhile before trading in for something more powerful.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what about the accord 2.0turbo? i was watching a 0-60 video of a ktuned one and it seemed pretty frikken decent if i must say so myself.

the thing is... i cant drive manual.... i dont know how and i dont want to..... so i needs me a sissy automatic lol

either way... i think im gonna keep this civic for a year or so. i want to rebuild my credit score a bit before i try to get another loan. my credit score actually went up 24 points today! so im on my way!

this car isnt bad...... sure i know its not the turbo version... but hey... i still like it..... i think its a sexy fuckin car, i like that it gets good MPG, i like how small it is, i like how easy it is to fit in places and just zip around town in general. i dont feel like its a "slow car" by any means.... i def have my fun on the highway with it.

all in all... its a pretty dope little car, i think ill enjoy it for awhile before trading in for something more powerful.
The 2.0 turbo Accord is a BEAST. You'd enjoy it without a tune and even more with one.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It all depends on your financial situation. The market for used cars is finally starting to drop with inflation, gas prices, and the fact that dealers are starting to see a lot more new inventory. Trading in right after you bought it is gonna lose you a lot of money most likely. Did you not test drive multiple vehicles before you bought your current one?

On another note, have you guys seen what they the prices on used 10th Sport hatches are right now? HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I saw most asking near or over $30k for a car you could have gotten for $21k new when they came out. Some of them had over 60k miles.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Best to stick with the civic for a couple years then trade it in for either a turbo Civic or Accord since you just recently purchased. Also it sounds like you are mostly satisfied with it. Turn off the AC if you want to move a little faster then turn back on when you reach cruising speed.
Sponsored