Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning)

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Just finished my swift spring install for my 18 SI and have torque specs for all the nuts and bolts but this one. Anyone know the torque spec? Also, I was able to tighten down the driver's side tophat nut but the passenger side just keeps spinning in place. If anyone can shed some light on this I would also greatly appreciate it!

Honda Civic 10th gen Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning) 20200216_140446
Sponsored

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need insert a hex key through a wrench to properly tighten the nut. Torque spec is 48lb if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
You need insert a hex key through a wrench to properly tighten the nut. Torque spec is 48lb if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE

Many thanks. Time to go look for the tool.

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Thank you! Thought it looked familiar so I ran out and bought it. So....it's as tight as can be with the open ratchet and allen combo without spin but when I try to torque it down with a torque wrench, like the other side, it still spins. Starting to think I might have to redo this one. Shouldn't spin at all right?

Honda Civic 10th gen Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning) 20200216_192225

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Correct - it should not spin.

For future reference, the tool for this type of process is called a strut nut socket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning) lFxShIQ

Honda Civic 10th gen Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning) Z1oAa

Credit: Bimmertips . com

If you have issues with tightening the nut, you can find these strut nut sockets on Amazon. Just get the correct nut size (top hat nut size).

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you! Thought it looked familiar so I ran out and bought it. So....it's as tight as can be with the open ratchet and allen combo without spin but when I try to torque it down with a torque wrench, like the other side, it still spins. Starting to think I might have to redo this one. Shouldn't spin at all right?

20200216_192225.jpg
Use something like a metal pipe to extend the hex key and extend the ratchet with a larger pipe, I used the handle from my floor jack. Don’t do it with car jacked up in the air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Just loosened the nut and impacted it again. Solved the issue. I'm new to impact guns and was playing it safe so I had it on auto-shut off mode to prevent over fastening. Was able to use a torque wrench afterwards with no issues. Overthought this way too much. Thanks for the help everyone.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Just loosened the nut and impacted it again. Solved the issue. I'm new to impact guns and was playing it safe so I had it on auto-shut off mode to prevent over fastening. Was able to use a torque wrench afterwards with no issues. Overthought this way too much. Thanks for the help everyone.
You shouldn’t use an impact driver to install that nut. Removing is one thing.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You shouldn’t use an impact driver to install that nut. Removing is one thing.
If he's talking about one of the newer Milwaukee impacts with fastening mode it literally does finger tight. It doesn't hammer the nut on to 40 ftlb or anything like that.

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
If he's talking about one of the newer Milwaukee impacts with fastening mode it literally does finger tight. It doesn't hammer the nut on to 40 ftlb or anything like that.
Bingo. It's a Milwaukee stubby. Was still able to get a few turns in before finally tightening it.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Bingo. It's a Milwaukee stubby. Was still able to get a few turns in before finally tightening it.
Is it the 3/8 or 1/2? I ordered a 1/2 stubby and I've been waiting for it to arrive (today finally) to use it to install my Swift springs.

I hope it works as well as it's supposed to.

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Is it the 3/8 or 1/2? I ordered a 1/2 stubby and I've been waiting for it to arrive (today finally) to use it to install my Swift springs.

I hope it works as well as it's supposed to.
3/8. Bought it in preparation for this install and it did not disappoint. Broke every nut and bolt with ease. Using the XC 6.0 and 4.0 battery.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
3/8. Bought it in preparation for this install and it did not disappoint. Broke every nut and bolt with ease. Using the XC 6.0 and 4.0 battery.
Excellent. I just wish I thought about getting it before I did the clutch job. All those subframe bolts would have been so much easier.

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Excellent. I just wish I thought about getting it before I did the clutch job. All those subframe bolts would have been so much easier.
Dang you did the clutch?! How long did that take you?
Sponsored