10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Man that was long... but informative. Sounds like he wasn't expecting it to be as hardcore as it is but ended up liking it a lot. :)

Not happy to hear it has turbo lag but sounds like if you live up in the higher RPMs it won't be a problem. If you drive it the way a Type R should be driven that is.

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Two parts I really liked>

The best way to describe it is that the Civic isn't one of those playful hatches, like the Focus ST or Mini Cooper S. No, the new Type-R is serious about speed. And it's very good at it - not just at achieving it with the engine, but maintaining it through corners.

Two things strike you immediately - how low the centre of gravity seems, and how stiff the shell is. We took our long term VW Golf R along as a comparison, and, for the first time, detected within it a tiny bit of structural shimmy on difficult Welsh roads, which I don't think I'd have noticed if the Civic hadn't been so tight.

Combine this tautness with the controlled damping and a pukka mechanical LSD, and you have a very effective cross country device. OK, it might not sound the best, and the messages coming back through the steering don't quite have the Golf's clarity, but it's a very absorbing, all-consuming car to drive. Where the Golf is ‘I'm game if you are', the Civic is more ‘come on, keep up, let's see what you've got...'
I'm hoping the new platform will maintain the rigidity and eliminate some of the NVH they seem to be complaining about, without sacrificing speed of course.

Now, what about that Nurburgring lap time?

A pre-production development Type R went round the Nordschliefe in 7m50.63s. If Honda can repeat that in a production car it'll be the fastest hatch of all. And, yep, I do totally buy that. It's hugely fast.

Since we had the Civic for a couple of days we took the opportunity to strap our timing gear on. Honda says 0-62mph takes 5.7 seconds. We did 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds and 100mph in 11.2 seconds. 167mph top whack? Yep, reckon it could do that.
VERY impressive! I can't wait for the next gen Type R!!

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fact the next gen civic is going to be wider and lower to start with can only do good things for the Type R (and the whole civic lineup). I'd definitely like to see them address the turbo lag, but we all know honda loves their high revving, high end powerbands.

Considering that the current euro civic rides on a stretched Fit platform the new platform should do nothing but good things for the next gen type R.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
The fact the next gen civic is going to be wider and lower to start with can only do good things for the Type R (and the whole civic lineup). I'd definitely like to see them address the turbo lag, but we all know honda loves their high revving, high end powerbands.
It's a single turbo set up right? Hard to get rid of lag with a single. Just physics at work. :(

Two smaller turbos are better at reducing lag. Or they could implement McLaren P1 technology and have an electric motor provide 'power fill' while the turbo spools... but I doubt that'll happen :D

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
It's a single turbo set up right? Hard to get rid of lag with a single. Just physics at work. :(

Two smaller turbos are better at reducing lag. Or they could implement McLaren P1 technology and have an electric motor provide 'power fill' while the turbo spools... but I doubt that'll happen :D
Or do what Volvo is doing and drive a small turbo electrically until the bigger turbo spools up.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
You'd have to drive it to see what the turbo lag is like. It's probably the kind that shows up when you whack the throttle while the engine is at lower revs, which isn't the way you drive a high strung 4cyl sporty car anyways. Anyone who knows to keep a Honda 4cyl "on boil" or at the ready, probably won't experience much lag, if any. Besides, there are a few downsides to no-lag, the car feels "less fast" since it doesn't have a noticeable hit (isn't that what VTEC fans want? a noticeable hit?) Also, possibly traction issues may come up in a FWD if the turbo hits hard right off the line.

Oh yeah, BTW the coupe is far better looking than the CTR hatch. Hopefully the Si coupe doesn't get saddled with the 1.5T, because on looks alone I'd get the Si coupe over the R. Maybe they'll give us an R coupe?

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'd have to drive it to see what the turbo lag is like. It's probably the kind that shows up when you whack the throttle while the engine is at lower revs, which isn't the way you drive a high strung 4cyl sporty car anyways. Anyone who knows to keep a Honda 4cyl "on boil" or at the ready, probably won't experience much lag, if any. Besides, there are a few downsides to no-lag, the car feels "less fast" since it doesn't have a noticeable hit (isn't that what VTEC fans want? a noticeable hit?) Also, possibly traction issues may come up in a FWD if the turbo hits hard right off the line.

Oh yeah, BTW the coupe is far better looking than the CTR hatch. Hopefully the Si coupe doesn't get saddled with the 1.5T, because on looks alone I'd get the Si coupe over the R. Maybe they'll give us an R coupe?
Well this isn't what the CTR will look like when it comes here. This CTR will only be in production for about 2 years, then itll get switched over to the new hatch design that will be in line with the new coupe and sedan. And id like to think that the Si isn't getting the 1.5T anyway. That's for the EX and EXL models. i figure honda will either stick with the 2.4NA earth dreams for the Si, or a detuned 2.0T

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Well this isn't what the CTR will look like when it comes here. This CTR will only be in production for about 2 years, then itll get switched over to the new hatch design that will be in line with the new coupe and sedan. And id like to think that the Si isn't getting the 1.5T anyway. That's for the EX and EXL models. i figure honda will either stick with the 2.4NA earth dreams for the Si, or a detuned 2.0T
Thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully you are right about the engine, I wouldn't mind either the 2.4 (hotted up a bit at least) or the 2.0T

opiektidung

Banned
Pulau Tidung
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
pulautidungmute.com
Vehicle(s)
avanza
I'm hoping the new platform will maintain the rigidity and eliminate some of the NVH they seem to be complaining about, without sacrificing speed of course.
I agree, anything that would in fox does not have to sacrifice something that already exists, especially speed

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Amazing what they have done on the older platform. With handling as good as it is already, i can't wait to see what a lighter and more powerful Type R will do on a track.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser

Considering that the current euro civic rides on a stretched Fit platform the new platform should do nothing but good things for the next gen type R.
If this car can do what it does on a Fit platform, I'm salivating at what it can do on the Civic X gen one.

So whatever this Type R is able to do, we can safely assume that the tenth gen one will be even better performance?

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
If this car can do what it does on a Fit platform, I'm salivating at what it can do on the Civic X gen one.

So whatever this Type R is able to do, we can safely assume that the tenth gen one will be even better performance?
No doubt performance will even better! Performance cars like this never take a step back in performance. Looks and feel are another matter, but somewhat subjective. But based on what the spy pics are showing us about the 10th gen, the looks are goin to be hot.
Sponsored