Tools and tool set

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Hey everyone,
Looking to start doing my own oil changes, tire rotations and also will be doing some minor mods like shifter upgrades. Looking to see what people's recommendations are in terms of tool sets, brands, etc. I know everyone has their own thoughts on certain brands but wanted to hear from folks that work on civicx's.
Thanks!
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Been using my craftsmen socket set for over 10 years, also bought an extra craftsmen breaker bar and an autozone extended 3/8 ratchet. they are always handy.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I'll be the guy to recommend Harbor Freight. It's really hard to argue with their prices and honestly their hand tools are pretty darn decent.

Craftsman sockets are definitely the bang for your buck socket. I know a lot of other companies have started the replacement program, but I like being able to run to my local Craftsman seller with my broken socket (doesn't happen too often) and get a new one no questions.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. For a beginner with nothing, I honestly recommend Harbor Freight. I've got the tool cart below and I absolutely love it. I see them on sale for $170 very often now. I paid $300 for mine several years ago and I'd gladly pay $500 for it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/301-pc-mechanics-tool-set-63457.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-5-drawer-red-mechanics-cart-64061.html

edit: Oh ya, always look for coupons with Harbor Freight. You can get a 20%-25% off coupon for that tool set. $150 for all that is amazing.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A torque wrench is useful to wheel nuts , 80 lbs, oil drain plug 30 lbs to be sure you are safe and save bolt and nuts threads

Not expensive at Harbor Freight

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A torque wrench is useful to wheel nuts , 80 lbs, oil drain plug 30 lbs to be sure you are safe and save bolt and nuts threads

Not expensive at Harbor Freight
Yes, learn early. Torque everything to spec. Takes a bit of time to research the torque spec on everything, but dealing with broken and stripped nuts and bolts is the absolute worst part of wrenching on things.

Also, don't ever confuse in/lbs with ft/lbs :p

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I'll be the guy to recommend Harbor Freight. It's really hard to argue with their prices and honestly their hand tools are pretty darn decent.

Craftsman sockets are definitely the bang for your buck socket. I know a lot of other companies have started the replacement program, but I like being able to run to my local Craftsman seller with my broken socket (doesn't happen too often) and get a new one no questions.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. For a beginner with nothing, I honestly recommend Harbor Freight. I've got the tool cart below and I absolutely love it. I see them on sale for $170 very often now. I paid $300 for mine several years ago and I'd gladly pay $500 for it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/301-pc-mechanics-tool-set-63457.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-5-drawer-red-mechanics-cart-64061.html

edit: Oh ya, always look for coupons with Harbor Freight. You can get a 20%-25% off coupon for that tool set. $150 for all that is amazing.
Can't beat Harbor Freight!! I have two of those tool carts... Probably roll mine around at work 5 miles a day with no problems!

OP
OP
NUshek

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Thanks guys. Figured with black Friday coming up I may be able to snag a good deal on something.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I second the harbor freight stuff!! Especially their torque wrenches. While not as smooth as my kobalt, they are just as accurate.
I do prefer the kobalt to harbor freight, but if your starting from scratch, it is a little pricier.
Around my way, craftsman used to be it, but over the last 5-10 years, their stuff started being made in China,and I started seeing a lot of plastic on tools that didn't used to be. Next thing I know, the sears is closed down and those craftsman tools are being sold in Kmart and Lowe's of all places. Not sure why Lowe's needed to bring them in with their own brand of decent stuff.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I second the harbor freight stuff!! Especially their torque wrenches. While not as smooth as my kobalt, they are just as accurate.
I do prefer the kobalt to harbor freight, but if your starting from scratch, it is a little pricier.
Around my way, craftsman used to be it, but over the last 5-10 years, their stuff started being made in China,and I started seeing a lot of plastic on tools that didn't used to be. Next thing I know, the sears is closed down and those craftsman tools are being sold in Kmart and Lowe's of all places. Not sure why Lowe's needed to bring them in with their own brand of decent stuff.
IMHO,
#1 "Tool" you should first get for your new Car is a SPARE Wheel, and the Jack & tools to change the wheel.
#2 is a Digital tire pressure gauge (Keep in car)
#3 is a inexpensive (Harbor Freight) Torque wrench, with a metric ??mm socket to fit your wheel nuts. (you will need one that covers around 80 ft/Lb for the wheels .. (CHECK FOR YOURSELF what ft/Lb you need to set it to)
(No need to keep in car .. you can change wheel without it, and then check torque when you get home.. you are going to want to re-check torque after 100 ? miles in any case)

Later on (if you are curious) , a "Reasonable" OBD2 Diagnostic Tool, so YOU can keep an eye yourself on issues, and not be 100% reliant on what the Dealer tells you is wrong, or which (error codes etc) they have really fixed vs they say they have.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMHO,

#3 is a inexpensive (Harbor Freight) Torque wrench, with a metric ??mm socket to fit your wheel nuts. (you will need one that covers around 80 ft/Lb for the wheels .. (CHECK FOR YOURSELF what ft/Lb you need to set it to) .

Metric socket ; metric is only on nut side, not on the torque wrench side wich is 3/8 or 1/2 inches

Wheel nuts need 80 ft / lbs , oil drain plug 30 ft/ lbs

I use regular tire pressure gauge, not digital. A good quality regular tire gauge do the job, no need battery and need less room in the car

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Metric socket ; metric is only on nut side, not on the torque wrench side wich is 3/8 or 1/2 inches

Wheel nuts need 80 ft / lbs , oil drain plug 30 ft/ lbs

I use regular tire pressure gauge, not digital. A good quality regular tire gauge do the job, no need battery and need less room in the car
Yes, the actual SQUARE Torque Wrench connector is 3/8 or 1/2, but the wheel nut is Metric, and is BIG.. if you already have a metric Socket set, chances are you may not have the correct BIG mm socket, with the correct 3/8" or 1/2" connector to match your Torque Wrench.
Sponsored