Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
My car has 34000 kms on stock pads. And I got it inspected at Honda at 33000 kms (my front pad was 8.88 and 7.22mm), they also did my inspection tech sheet two days before the event and they said the brake materials are greater than 50% of oem specification.

And I still lost my brakes :(. Guy from the track inspected it and concluded that I lost all my pads and went bare metal then the metal ate the rotor and then it got too hot and that boiled the brake fluid to the point of catching on fire.

I still gotta get it checked thoroughly at Honda on monday though so we'll see what they say.

For now I'm researching my brake options for this car, guy from the track told me to get a hawk race pads for the track then switch it out to street pads every race weekend, but I'm not sure if I wanna keep changing my pads every track day, too much work. What are my options for this car?
Sponsored

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
It looks like the SE is the equivalent of an LX-ish in the US. Those pads (and fluid) are not, and clearly were not up to snuff for any track stuff, especially if the fluid is original on a 2018 car.

Not sure which track focused/capable aftermarket brake pad options exist for this trim, but Honda themselves aren't going to stock any of them. You'll want some quality DOT4 fluid to go with them.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey I saw you out at Gimli, I had the silver Integra. Too bad to hear about your car :(. I used Hawk HPS pads in my Civic and they were good enough for a few track weekends per year, and they were also good for the street. I also have a set of brand new EBC Yellow pads that I could sell if you want them. I don't have my Civic anymore so don't need them anymore. One of the instructors recommended them, but I sold the car before I wore through the Hawk pads.

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
Hey I saw you out at Gimli, I had the silver Integra. Too bad to hear about your car :(. I used Hawk HPS pads in my Civic and they were good enough for a few track weekends per year, and they were also good for the street. I also have a set of brand new EBC Yellow pads that I could sell if you want them. I don't have my Civic anymore so don't need them anymore. One of the instructors recommended them, but I sold the car before I wore through the Hawk pads.
Oh hi there!
I'm gonna use Hawk DTC-70 for the track. Are the EBC yellow pads good for the street? I mean do they squeal or dust a lot? For the right price I could probably get the EBC Yellowstuff for the street and autocross.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I heard that they're good for street but kind of dusty. I've never actually used them. I don't need them, so whatever your right price is will probably be good for me.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You definitely need better pads and fluid to do long stretches on a high-speed track. Unrelated, do you have any way to measure your CVT temperature? I'd be concerned running one that hard for that long. CVTs aren't super durable things. My wife's HRV's CVT blew at 66,000 miles and Honda paid for 80%, but it has made me leery of them. I also went through three auto transmissions in my 6th gen accord back in high school due to constant auto-cross. My point is just that passenger vehicles are not designed with this kind of abuse in mind. Good luck sorting your brake issues and I hope your CVT holds on!

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
You definitely need better pads and fluid to do long stretches on a high-speed track. Unrelated, do you have any way to measure your CVT temperature? I'd be concerned running one that hard for that long. CVTs aren't super durable things. My wife's HRV's CVT blew at 66,000 miles and Honda paid for 80%, but it has made me leery of them. I also went through three auto transmissions in my 6th gen accord back in high school due to constant auto-cross. My point is just that passenger vehicles are not designed with this kind of abuse in mind. Good luck sorting your brake issues and I hope your CVT holds on!
I don't know should I get an extended warranty? My factory warranty is just days away from expiring.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't know should I get an extended warranty? My factory warranty is just days away from expiring.
I would think most warranties would have an exclusion for track use. Maybe do some research to see how reliable the CVT in the 10th Gen is. If Honda built it strong enough, it might be okay with that kind of abuse.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh hi there!
I'm gonna use Hawk DTC-70 for the track. Are the EBC yellow pads good for the street? I mean do they squeal or dust a lot? For the right price I could probably get the EBC Yellowstuff for the street and autocross.
I could be wrong but I don't think you want to use the DTC-70 compound. They need a good bit of heat in them to work properly and will probably eat up rotors. Hawk has many other options. The HP+ may would do the job but there are several options between HP+ and DTC-70.

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
I could be wrong but I don't think you want to use the DTC-70 compound. They need a good bit of heat in them to work properly and will probably eat up rotors. Hawk has many other options. The HP+ may would do the job but there are several options between HP+ and DTC-70.
Why not? It's the track. I'm not gonna use it in the street.
The champion from my local track told me: "there's no such thing as overkill brake pads at the track."

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not? It's the track. I'm not gonna use it in the street.
The champion from my local track told me: "there's no such thing as overkill brake pads at the track."
I will admit that it's not my area of expertise but the most aggressive brake pads are absolutely useless until you get them up to temperature. An extreme example of this would be F1 brake pads. I would just recommend doing a bit more research and make sure you purchase brake pads that are effective in the proper temperature range for your application. Hawk lists temp ranges for each of their pad compounds.

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
I will admit that it's not my area of expertise but the most aggressive brake pads are absolutely useless until you get them up to temperature. An extreme example of this would be F1 brake pads. I would just recommend doing a bit more research and make sure you purchase brake pads that are effective in the proper temperature range for your application. Hawk lists temp ranges for each of their pad compounds.
Like I said, it's for the track, I could easily see 1000°F on my brakes over there.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Oh hi there!
Work your way up to the Hawk DTC line, it's seriously overkill to try a DTC-70 right out the gate and you definitely shouldn't run them on the street. I am running EBC Yellow's on our Blue Si build, they're plenty for a fast track with mild braking zones.

2 years ago at 25k kms I also lost my stock brakes at the first track outing, and since upgrading them to better pads, fluids, and lines that hasn't happened in over 8 track days since.

Slotted Rotors, SS Braided Brake Lines, Motul RBF600, and EBC Yellow will run you just under $1K CAD if you wanted to grab them from us. Everything is in stock, and can be shipped out tomorrow :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Took my SE at the track and my brakes caught on fire, almost hit the guardrail 1620190429695

https://unity-performance.com/collections/2016-honda-civic-sedan?pf_pt_product_type=Braking
Sponsored