Too Old for The Type R?

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I'm 66. The car had everything I needed for a daily driver. I was smitten after my test drive, and bought it without regard for the way it looked. I have received so many compliments from strangers, I am actually enjoying the outrageous design.
Sponsored

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Congrats on the purchase! Championship white :thumbsup:

bring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 CW
Country flag
Iā€™m 52 but act like Iā€™m 22

Itā€™s a $40k car though - I donā€™t understand how younger folks can even afford oneā€¦.

dldaves

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
met a guy recently he was 83 lol i was like wow

timtzotz

First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
Drive what you want while you can because a day will soon come when you are too crippled or senile to be behind the wheel. Who cares what other people think if you enjoy it?
Exactly. I am 60 and bought my SGP last year when I got back from deployment. My adult kids just shook their heads, I laughed. I am at a point in my life where I could have bought something more expensive, like you I looked at the GT. Great power, but not as fun. And the best part about being sixty years old is z3ro fox given about other people's opinions.

I would also mention that as we get up in age, comfort is a concern. Much more comfortable to sit in the CTR than in the Mustangs, Corvette, or STI. Didn't try a Porsche, there is only so much I want to spend on a vehicle. Driving in my neighborhood I sometimes go in comfort mode, very smooth and intentionally boring.

Lastly, good choice in the color. I like a more muted color at my age since the rest off the car is so over the top.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Signed and in the driveway.
They sold the black one, but I also liked the white.
I might be 47 but at the moment I feel more like 17.
Nice. Have fun!

Iā€™m 54. The CTR looks silly but donā€™t care what others think. I look at the CTR and think about selling it but when I drive it, those thoughts immediately go awayā€¦

JustinR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure what you've driven previously but if anything with a lot of HP, you might be disappointed. I owned my 21 CTR for about 3 months before selling it. Great car, loved it, but didn't quite scratch the itch I have for high performance. Ultimately ended up going with a 21 Shelby GT500 paired with my 19 Z06. The CTR is an excellent daily - it's got plenty of power for the street along with all the creature comforts that are needed for a DD.
This. About a year for me. Selling for what I paid. FWD and lots of horsepower donā€™t work for me anymore. The battle of traction is annoying.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I bought mine at age 66. I am coming from a C5 Corvette and continue to track my CTR and use it to compete in time-attack competition so it is certainly not babied. No, it isn't as fast as the Corvette but it handles better, brakes better, shifts better, has better aero and better seats. It can also carry stuff. I may or may not do enough engine mods to get it as fast as the Corvette in a straight line but heat issues do rear their heads there. My CTR is a vastly more livable car on a day to day basis and I have zero regrets. OP, you made a good choice.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm 42 and I felt a little too old to even be driving around in my 2019 Si coupe at first, but I've gotten over it. I've personally never been into hatches and I don't like the way the Type-R looks, however, I test drove one for sh-ts and giggles and HOLY SH-T is far thing fun to drive! My Si is fun on windy roads, too, but the being the coupe, it's way too light to put enough weight on the tires and it feels like it could just slide off the road at any second, especially if the pavement is a little bumpy. The Type-R feels like it's on rails and reminds me of my old 1996 Prelude Vtec dumped $6,000 into completely redoing the suspension.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
47?!? Please...I've got socks older than you.... I'm 59 and just signed on a Boooooooooooooost Blue CTR yesterday - trading in my Si....so I imagine I'll be pleasantly surprised when I pick the new beast up. Sure...my kids think i'm nuts...but that's half the fun of it. I'm glad I got a '21....after seeing what they did to the Civic, i'm sure the Si and CTR won't be far behind in the genericizing of the style. Disappointing, really...I think the 10th gen have the best look. But I digress....get it and don't look back (unless you see flashing lights and hear sirens...)

bring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 CW
Country flag
Didnā€™t try a Porsche, there is only so much I want to spend on a vehicle.
Same here - I hope my future includes a 911 - but right now, I have two kids to get through college. For $40k, I get a lot of technology
Sponsored