saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
i was getting a oil change at Honda was in the waiting room an old couple was talking about their car the woman left and the man told me his wife was mad because he traded his Acura suv for a accord sport touring. He said the Acura was their third suv and was time to go back in a car ( they were retired)he also added there’s too many suv’s On the road . I agree 100 percent when I’m on the road that’s all you see
Sponsored

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I hear Cadillac is dropping the ATS for a move to all SUV's? I suppose Honda CVR or the other one would work but why?

So when I bought my 2019 I wanted some luxury and affordable maintenance as run lots of miles. I went with the Civic Touring. Alternatives? BMW, Mercedes CLA, Cadillac. I am sure there are more. I went with the Hatch as I liked the looks as previous car was a two seater Mini Cooper S. No back seat and made only four years. Not sure the SUV has more space unless we are talking Cadillac Escalade? AKA tank. I also wanted good gas mileage as I drive 60 miles a day. SUV's not so much great gas mileage.

I get sitting up high as I had a Toyota Tundra TRD. But do I need it?

So what is the drive to buy SUV? Sitting up high? Hauling lots of freight? Seating? Not sure. I see many on the road. Gas mileage normally drives my buying decision. I get about 37 mpg with my car. My Mini was 32 at best. Can an SUV top 37 MPG? Maybe large family? Or over weight people gravitate to them? Not sure? Drop my rear seats and plenty of room in my Hatch. Go figure.

Help me out here. Why SUV?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear Cadillac is dropping the ATS for a move to all SUV's? I suppose Honda CVR or the other one would work but why?

So when I bought my 2019 I wanted some luxury and affordable maintenance as run lots of miles. I went with the Civic Touring. Alternatives? BMW, Mercedes CLA, Cadillac. I am sure there are more. I went with the Hatch as I liked the looks as previous car was a two seater Mini Cooper S. No back seat and made only four years. Not sure the SUV has more space unless we are talking Cadillac Escalade? AKA tank. I also wanted good gas mileage as I drive 60 miles a day. SUV's not so much great gas mileage.

I get sitting up high as I had a Toyota Tundra TRD. But do I need it?

So what is the drive to buy SUV? Sitting up high? Hauling lots of freight? Seating? Not sure. I see many on the road. Gas mileage normally drives my buying decision. I get about 37 mpg with my car. My Mini was 32 at best. Can an SUV top 37 MPG? Maybe large family? Or over weight people gravitate to them? Not sure? Drop my rear seats and plenty of room in my Hatch. Go figure.

Help me out here. Why SUV?
Probably a few reasons... in no particular order...

1) Gas is cheap so unless you're driving long distances, your annual cost of owning a 20 mpg truck vs 40 mpg car isn't a financial burden at this time. They can change at any time.

2) with quad cab, 5 seater trucks/SUVs, it can haul around a family. When I was a kid, they were very rare... everything was a standard cab for the most part. Trucks/SUVs have been pushed as a capable family vehicle.

3) with a truck... you could go off road possibly. You could tow. Many never do... but you could, and I think people are buying into the capability, whether they use it or not... they lean on it as a justification.

4) they're perceived to be safer. And by safer... Based on Mr. Newton... because they have more mass than a car, they have more energy at the same speed. If you struck a small car in a big heavy truck, you figure the car will be utterly destroyed and the truck out a bumper. While there's something to be said with striking a heavier object with a light one... there's a lot more to making something safe than weight alone. I don't think the disparage between a 3000 lb car and a 4500-5000 truck/SUV/van isn't so much that the cars are rendered unsafe. When you get to compare a fully loaded 80000 lb semi vs either the car or truck... the difference between them won't make much of a difference... as either one would do badly.
If anything, the height is the only thing helpful to prevent a run-under, and modern trailers have a lot in their design to prevent that now-a-days... though it does happen. Just ask the Tesla auto pilot pioneers...

5) Many SUVs aren't the body on frame truck based vehicles they once were. They've traded a lot of the ruggedness and towing capacity of the trucks they've been derived of for fuel economy between a car and truck and better road comfort.

6) people feel like they need more room... but there is a negative image in owning a van/larger car. So... again, you get a family who, as soon as they have 2-3 kids... they have to have a bigger vehicle. If they go the truck route, they stay out of a soccer mom van, but get something they just really ever use.

For hauling things, most people could get by with the occasional rental vehicle... borrowing... renting a small trailer to pull behind a small vehicle you already have.

I've got a truck. It gets used sparing for legitimate truck stuff... hauling a mower/big go cart around and ferrying around loads of dirt. It was given to me, worth less than a decent trailer... though could be replaced by one, pulled by the Odyssey. Both the Odyssey and Civic can fit all 5 if us. The Odyssey has the advantage of moving all of us plus a dog and a *bunch* of other stuff.. but the Civic gets a lot of use because most if the time, it's enough. When I have come around and I need more than 5 seats, which actually happens at least monthly for a few days to upwards of a week we stick to the van and manage to only go in 1 vehicle.

I do live in a place it seems many of the middle aged male population seems to drive a truck/SUV/Jeep. A very few ever pull anything and most will spend their whole life on pavement, save a dirt driveway here and there.

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed when I lived on Long Island people got complacent with they suvs thinking nothing could stop them in their suvs but after a snow storm when I was on the expressway I’ve seen suvs on their side or in a ditch and then you have these huge suvs with these women that can’t see over the dashboard and the smash into the car in front of them people think they’re save vehicles . now I live in Florida and watching the retired people try to climb in and out of them is pretty painful. I never had a suv or pickup I’ve drove rwd and fwd cars in the snow and bad weather I’ve had hatchbacks fold the back seat and you could large stuff in it
And every coupe I had the rear seat also fold down . One of these days the gas prices are going to keep rising and rising and everybody going to scramble around for cars

Paul79UF

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
My wife and I enjoy having both a small four door car and a big old used Acura MDX SUV for road trips out into the desert or up to Canada. The SH-AWD (all wheel drive) system has come in handy quite a few times. We probably couldn't have done some of our desert camping trips or Mammoth snow trips with the Civic.

Most days we just use the car since the SUV has over 170,000 miles and doesn't get the greatest MPG on premium gas (ouch).

Our MDX is the third (furthest) vehicle with snow chains on the front tires. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Too many Suv’s 20190209_074817

View attachment 141678

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I despise my suv (10 year old Ford Escape). It's ZERO fun to drive. Problem is, it still looks and runs great and I'm having a hard time justifying to the boss that I need to have fun while driving to work.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I can get behind

MattLodi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport+
Country flag
i think that no suv can beat a nice sedan, here in Italy is full of them too. People buy it because they're "safer and higher" than a normal car. 99% of suvs/crossovers are FWD such as Kia Sportage, Jeep Renegade, Nissan Qashqai, VW T-Roc... with undersized engine, so they'll end up to have a really bad fuel economy.

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i think that no suv can beat a nice sedan, here in Italy is full of them too. People buy it because they're "safer and higher" than a normal car. 99% of suvs/crossovers are FWD such as Kia Sportage, Jeep Renegade, Nissan Qashqai, VW T-Roc... with undersized engine, so they'll end up to have a really bad fuel economy.
Higher is not always better I see SUVs flipped on their sides on the highway because their higher and doing 80+ miles an hour doesn’t help either especially in rain season they hydroplane worst then a car

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here in Texas, Trucks > SUVs > every other car on the road. It sucks cuz the truck/suv drivers think bigger means they own more of the road, too. They literally look down on everything else on the road. So tired of this trend.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
18 years I’ve been commuting 62 miles into Milwaukee for a company that doesn’t believe that anyone should be late for work, all of this is been done with front wheel drive cars, all sedans. I use the stairway instead of the elevator, I try to stay in shape, I’m not giving up “cars” Until I’m a bonified cripple.
Sponsored