Tons of error messages on my dash display!

mmc21

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, Boost Blue
Country flag
Considering all the people saying to replace your battery, it would be best for you to just replace the battery, keep the receipt for it, and if it happens again after the battery as been replaced, etc., You can just bring it back. Most places allow you to do so for 90 days.
Sponsored

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Smart Key may recognize it's near car and turn alarm off.
Try repeat of procedure with smart key not near car.
You do have an alarm & immobilizer system. Read about it in the Security System section of your Owner's Manual.
I don't have a smart key, I have a "dumb" one šŸ˜‰

Honda Civic 10th gen Tons of error messages on my dash display! 1660681894802

But I found out why the alarm didn't go off earlier. Apparently there's a delay before it's activated after locking the car with the FOB. I waited until the indicator light for the system changed its blinking interval, and THEN the alarm went off when I opened the door from the inside.

But in any case, when I entered the car yesterday, the alarm was NOT set because I never locked the car, so it still doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Considering all the people saying to replace your battery, it would be best for you to just replace the battery, keep the receipt for it, and if it happens again after the battery as been replaced, etc., You can just bring it back. Most places allow you to do so for 90 days.
I already tested the battery and posted the results - all normal. If it's some sort of parasitic draw as one person hypothesized, then that would happen with a new battery too. But I'll be able to test that hypothesis if it ever happens again by pulling over and testing the voltage to see if it's reading low. If not, then it most likely is a software bug.

mmc21

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I already tested the battery and posted the results - all normal. If it's some sort of parasitic draw as one person hypothesized, then that would happen with a new battery too. But I'll be able to test that hypothesis if it ever happens again by pulling over and testing the voltage to see if it's reading low. If not, then it most likely is a software bug.
Have you looked generally around the engine bay/under your dash to make sure you don't have any small animals living in your car?

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My old 05 civic ex would do something similar but less electronics. I'd be driving it regularly then few moments later it shows 0 on speedometer and few others read zero. I pull over turn off then turn on again and it resets to normal.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you looked generally around the engine bay/under your dash to make sure you don't have any small animals living in your car?
I've noticed nothing like that, and sure if wires were being chewed through, the problem would be permanent, not intermittent (in fact, still has only occurred once).

mmc21

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've noticed nothing like that, and sure if wires were being chewed through, the problem would be permanent, not intermittent (in fact, still has only occurred once).
Have you load tested your battery?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Still no further occurrences of the original issue (it's now been over 2 months), however my Civic struggled to start this morning--the first morning the temps have dipped into the 30s (F), so I'm going to do another load test tomorrow AM which should be about the same temp. I bet it fails in the cold. Seems too much of a coincidence to be something else (alternator or starter).

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Update: Still no further occurrences of the original issue (it's now been over 2 months), however my Civic struggled to start this morning--the first morning the temps have dipped into the 30s (F), so I'm going to do another load test tomorrow AM which should be about the same temp. I bet it fails in the cold. Seems too much of a coincidence to be something else (alternator or starter).
Iā€™ve had this issue before with the stock battery going out, replaced it and it was fine for a couple of years, and Iā€™ve had this issue intermittently with a rich fuel code only while it sits and idles and itā€™s hot outside, never figured out the problem and the car drives and performs fine and the errors go away after a few miles of driving so Iā€™ve given up on it.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Iā€™ve had this issue before with the stock battery going out, replaced it and it was fine for a couple of years, and Iā€™ve had this issue intermittently with a rich fuel code only while it sits and idles and itā€™s hot outside, never figured out the problem and the car drives and performs fine and the errors go away after a few miles of driving so Iā€™ve given up on it.
The battery dropped to 7 volts when starting the other day, so I had the starting/charging system tested at my shop just to be sure there were no other issues than the battery, and thankfully there weren't. The battery failed the load test, as expected, and they replaced it. So hopefully I'm good to go for another 3-4 years.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it was an OEM battery expect it to last 1-2 years. The stock ones are trash and always have been.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it was an OEM battery expect it to last 1-2 years. The stock ones are trash and always have been.
I don't think it's an OEM battery. I'm not sure what kind it is because there's no brand sticker on the top and the battery is surrounded by a "skirt" which I'm not willing to extract the battery from to find out. When I had Ford Rangers, this same shop replaced the battery a few times and it wasn't with a Ford/Motorcraft battery, so I'm guessing this isn't a Honda battery either (and the old one had Honda stickers on top--this one doesn't)

Honda Civic 10th gen Tons of error messages on my dash display! Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 5.28.01 PM

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As most lead-acid batteries in the USA are made by only one or two manufacturers and a "brand sticker" is then applied - they're all the same. Current generation vehicles with 100's or 1000's of microchips(mini-computers) put a high load on the electrical system which is designed with minimum "over-head" to get the best efficiency/performance/mpg. It does appear that we're lucky to 3+ years out of any battery.
Sponsored