Tons of error messages on my dash display!

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
So I start my 2019 Civic up like normal and pull out of my workplace. About 5 seconds after I stop at the first stop sign, it was like the master alarm scene in Apollo 13. Looked like every caution/warning light was going off on the dash with accompanying tones. They appeared to all be related to the electronic systems: brake-hold, collision mitigation, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, etc. Basically they all said there was a problem with each of these systems and they were turned off. I pulled into the next parking lot, shut down the car, waited 30 seconds, and started it up again. Aside from having to turn the lane departure warning system back on, all was normal and I received no more caution/warning lights all the way home (about 30 minutes). All the aforementioned systems seemed to be functioning normally.

Has this happened to any of you before? It was very disconcerting! I'm hoping it's just like when an app on your computer randomly hangs every once in a blue moon and then is fine again when you restart. I hope it's not indicative of a deeper problem that is going to eventually rear its head!
Sponsored

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Low battery. Get it checked ASAP.
If it's the battery, then it seems strange that it didn't happen again after I turned off the car and restarted, but I'll check the battery.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
The battery is the first suspect on the list. Then it's a furry marmot chowing down on the wiring under the hood. Since you got an error that uses the camera/RADAR; you may have just had an odd reflection or something on your windshield that sounded the alarm.

But since the OEM batteries are known to be ass, and your car is 3 years old, and a bad battery will leave you in the weeds with little warning, etc... the battery is always top of the list.

Good luck.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The battery is the first suspect on the list. Then it's a furry marmot chowing down on the wiring under the hood. Since you got an error that uses the camera/RADAR; you may have just had an odd reflection or something on your windshield that sounded the alarm.

But since the OEM batteries are known to be ass, and your car is 3 years old, and a bad battery will leave you in the weeds with little warning, etc... the battery is always top of the list.

Good luck.
I also got errors for systems that don't use the camera or radar (e.g. brake hold system). Again, I will definitely check the battery, but to me it seems if the battery were the culprit, it would've happened again after I restarted the car. Seems more like a software glitch that was fixed upon "rebooting". We'll see.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, so the battery tested at 12.37-12.41 volts this morning after sitting overnight. While starting the car, the lowest reading was 10.84 volts. After starting, the voltage capped at 14.22 volts. According to what I've read, these readings are all normal. Thoughts?

Oh, and I got no warning lights or anything today so far.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Battery readings are "normal" - check battery clamps for corrosion ("fur" on posts) and tightness (shouldn't be able to twist them by hand). Otherwise monitor situation, and hope it's not rodents or the BCM.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Battery readings are "normal" - check battery clamps for corrosion ("fur" on posts) and tightness (shouldn't be able to twist them by hand). Otherwise monitor situation, and hope it's not rodents or the BCM.
I'll double-check the terminals and will also carry my multimeter with me while driving at least for a few weeks in case it happens again to test the voltage at that time as @calonzo suggested. I've been on 4 drives since it happened without a reoccurrence so far, thankfully.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, still no reoccurrence of the phenomenon I described in my OP, but today something else weird happened. When I arrived home in my Civic, I shut it off and went into the house to get some glass cleaner and a cloth to clean a spot on the inside of the front windshield. When I returned to the Civic, opened the driver door and sat down in the front seat, I noticed my emergency flashers were blinking, then they turned off by themselves after about 3 blinks. Very, very weird.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
That sounds like the alarm was trying to arm or disarm.

I still (respectfully) believe that you have a battery issue. But I'm sorry it's still happening.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That sounds like the alarm was trying to arm or disarm.

I still (respectfully) believe that you have a battery issue. But I'm sorry it's still happening.
I don't think my Civic has an alarm. I know I've accidentally tried to open a door without unlocking with the remote before, and no alarm sounds. I do know that the emergency flashers flash twice when I unlock with the remote or once when I lock with the remote, but the car was already unlocked when I opened the door yesterday (after retrieving the glass cleaner), so that couldn't be it either. The car was off. As I posted the other day, my battery tests fine.

I know on the 2004 Ford Ranger I owned before this, the windshield wipers would randomly go up/down once or twice every blue moon, so maybe this is just one of those strange electrical issues like that.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You have an alarm - see the red button your key fob?
Press it!!! (The unlock button will turn it off).
OR
Open a window, close and lock the doors with the key fob, then reach into the open window and use the inside handle to open the door!!!

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have an alarm - see the red button your key fob?
Press it!!! (The unlock button will turn it off).
Yes, I'm aware, but that's not an anti-theft alarm, which is obviously what shoegazer was referring to.

Open a window, close and lock the doors with the key fob, then reach into the open window and use the inside handle to open the door!!!
Just tried it. Nothing happens except the emergency flashers flash twice.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Smart Key may recognize it's near car and turn alarm off.
Try repeat of procedure with smart key not near car.
You do have an alarm & immobilizer system. Read about it in the Security System section of your Owner's Manual.
Sponsored