Acordova70239

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Tomei released their exhausts for the fk8. Is muffler kit the same difference as an exhaust system? Dumb question maybe but I just want to make sure before I spend $1350 on the type D
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Tomei released their exhausts for the fk8. Is muffler kit the same difference as an exhaust system? Dumb question maybe but I just want to make sure before I spend $1350 on the type D
It looks like the muffler kit is the exhaust kit. At least that’s how it’s advertised on Evasive.

OP
OP
Acordova70239

Acordova70239

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
The exhaust is tempting though. Titanium and super cheap (for being titanium). Granted I was expecting bigger weight savings.
The whole thing is titanium? I feel like so
The exhaust is tempting though. Titanium and super cheap (for being titanium). Granted I was expecting bigger weight savings.
i just wish they had better sound clips, they’re so short on the video they posted

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The whole thing is titanium? I feel like so

i just wish they had better sound clips, they’re so short on the video they posted
It’s advertised as full titanium, so I can only assume it’s fully titanium. I didn’t mind the sound clips. They were enough for me to get a glimpse at what they were going for.

OP
OP
Acordova70239

Acordova70239

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
It’s advertised as full titanium, so I can only assume it’s fully titanium. I didn’t mind the sound clips. They were enough for me to get a glimpse at what they were going for.
I just want something that gives the type r the presence it deserves. I like loud exhausts I’m just worried it would be quiet in person

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good price for full Ti. Hoping to see/hear some third-party videos to make sure there’s no drone when cruising. Bookmarked for now.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Ya I’m keeping an eye on this exhaust also. The weight savings are nice

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I just want something that gives the type r the presence it deserves. I like loud exhausts I’m just worried it would be quiet in person
to give you perspective i've had this exhaust on an FRS and these are loud as hell. On the freeway the drone can just beat down on you. If you are into this type of set up and want a loud exhaust this system can be for you.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Judging from past experiences of owning Tomei exhaust (Evo X) its gonna be extremely loud so you don't have to worry about it being too quiet. I saw a video where a Tomei exhaust was getting installed on a BRZ and they were talking about how loud it was. There's a reason they come with silencers. I don't think they make a quiet exhaust.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Judging from past experiences of owning Tomei exhaust (Evo X) its gonna be extremely loud so you don't have to worry about it being too quiet. I saw a video where a Tomei exhaust was getting installed on a BRZ and they were talking about how loud it was. There's a reason they come with silencers. I don't think they make a quiet exhaust.
So Tomei (USA, if you really care about the USA vs Japan designation) has 3 models the Type-R, Type-S, and Type-D. The Type-R seems like it's going to be extremely loud based on the sound clips while the Type-S and Type-D seem less so. I could be mistaken, but I think the Type-D is a Type-S as a 2-tip variant.

tofumann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
Is Tomei "USA" part of Tomei Japan? In other words, are these two even same companies?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Is Tomei "USA" part of Tomei Japan? In other words, are these two even same companies?
They are definitely not the same company. The backstory I got for this exhaust is that it started as a collaboration between Tomei USA and Tomei Japan, but at one point Tomei Japan dropped out for whatever reason and Tomei USA decided to still finish and release the exhaust (maybe because of the lost R&D already spent on it?).

That being said, whether or not to trust Tomei USA or not is going to be up to the buyer. There are a lot of people saying not to buy and a lot of people stating the quality has dropped.

Edit: So the gist I have with Tomei USA vs Tomei Japan. Tomei USA used to be an official distributer for Tomei Japan, but then Tomei USA started having a line of parts manufactured in different factories behind Tomei Japan's back under a different name (but still sold by Tomei USA). Tomei Japan got complaints about said products and started stating that you can tell the products apart by the part number (utilizing the 'T' in front of the part number). The agreement Tomei USA and Japan had most likely ended in 2019 and Tomei Japan elected not to renew it (for obvious reasons) and they went their separate ways. Now Tomei USA is no longer an official reseller for Tomei Japan products.

Last edited:

tofumann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
They are definitely not the same company. The backstory I got for this exhaust is that it started as a collaboration between Tomei USA and Tomei Japan, but at one point Tomei Japan dropped out for whatever reason and Tomei USA decided to still finish and release the exhaust (maybe because of the lost R&D already spent on it?).

That being said, whether or not to trust Tomei USA or not is going to be up to the buyer. There are a lot of people saying not to buy and a lot of people stating the quality has dropped.

Edit: So the gist I have with Tomei USA vs Tomei Japan. Tomei USA used to be an official distributer for Tomei Japan, but then Tomei USA started having a line of parts manufactured in different factories behind Tomei Japan's back under a different name (but still sold by Tomei USA). Tomei Japan got complaints about said products and started stating that you can tell the products apart by the part number (utilizing the 'T' in front of the part number). The agreement Tomei USA and Japan had most likely ended in 2019 and Tomei Japan elected not to renew it (for obvious reasons) and they went their separate ways. Now Tomei USA is no longer an official reseller for Tomei Japan products.
got it and thanks for the information. The fact that USA side is still "clinging" onto the brand while they are no longer part of Tomei Japan speaks for itself.

No wonder i don't see any FK8 stuff in Tomei Japan website. Thanks again!
Sponsored