riccardosav

First Name
Riccardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR #34440
Country flag
My 2019 R has just over 14k miles and I am now in a position where I will be purchasing my 2nd and 3rd brand new tire replacement. The first came from running over a nail which happened to be lodged about an inch off of where it would have been repairable by the Honda service tech. There goes $390. Now, after going in for a routine oil change I'm being told my front two tires will need to be replaced as the toe wear is pretty substantial. The alignment on the front wheels are bad. This is the second Honda dealer that tries to tell me that this car isn't meant for longevity and more for performance after giving me bad news. For some reason in my opinion, this is completely inexcusable. My car only has 14k miles, so how can these problems happen this early on? It's a Honda for crying out loud, not a Ferrari. How can the alignment be this far out of whack after such a small amount of road time? I don't beat the car by any means, I really actually baby it. Seems like every time I turn around, I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on repairs and new tires. Where is my warranty?? Why does Honda not have anything to offer me for having to deal with this so early on? The service tech actually asked me if I planned on keeping the car for long. I replied, "that was the plan initially, but paying for these untimely repairs every time I come in for an oil change is a bit of a turn off." Does anyone have any recommendations for affordable tires to grab before I schedule and alignment? So far this car has become a money pit and it's getting to a point where I'm getting tired of it.
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Are the front tires really worn "pretty substantial"? Pics would help here. Nails happen and the stock Conti's don't last long due to TW rating. Who said the alignment was out and did they provide a sheet with the current settings? Alignment can be knocked out of prime setting by hitting potholes on any car.

A dealer telling you this car is not built for longevity is full of CRAP! I went in for an oil change and was told my wheels were damaged on the back side...they aren't, but now Honda has a note in the file that will get in the way of my wheel warranty.

What kind of tires are you looking for? i.e.: replace in kind(summer performance) or all seasons? Do you drive in winter and do you live where there is snow? Daily driver?
My 2019 R has just over 14k miles and I am now in a position where I will be purchasing my 2nd and 3rd brand new tire replacement. The first came from running over a nail which happened to be lodged about an inch off of where it would have been repairable by the Honda service tech. There goes $390. Now, after going in for a routine oil change I'm being told my front two tires will need to be replaced as the toe wear is pretty substantial. The alignment on the front wheels are bad. This is the second Honda dealer that tries to tell me that this car isn't meant for longevity and more for performance after giving me bad news. For some reason in my opinion, this is completely inexcusable. My car only has 14k miles, so how can these problems happen this early on? It's a Honda for crying out loud, not a Ferrari. How can the alignment be this far out of whack after such a small amount of road time? I don't beat the car by any means, I really actually baby it. Seems like every time I turn around, I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on repairs and new tires. Where is my warranty?? Why does Honda not have anything to offer me for having to deal with this so early on? The service tech actually asked me if I planned on keeping the car for long. I replied, "that was the plan initially, but paying for these untimely repairs every time I come in for an oil change is a bit of a turn off." Does anyone have any recommendations for affordable tires to grab before I schedule and alignment? So far this car has become a money pit and it's getting to a point where I'm getting tired of it.

OP
OP

riccardosav

First Name
Riccardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR #34440
Country flag
Are the front tires really worn "pretty substantial"? Pics would help here. Nails happen and the stock Conti's don't last long due to TW rating. Who said the alignment was out and did they provide a sheet with the current settings? Alignment can be knocked out of prime setting by hitting potholes on any car.

A dealer telling you this car is not built for longevity is full of CRAP! I went in for an oil change and was told my wheels were damaged on the back side...they aren't, but now Honda has a note in the file that will get in the way of my wheel warranty.

What kind of tires are you looking for? i.e.: replace in kind(summer performance) or all seasons? Do you drive in winter and do you live where there is snow? Daily driver?
Yes they are a 3 on the wear "bar" or gauge on the tread. I visually inspected myself as it was on the lift to confirm the wear. I'm only looking to replace 2 tires, so something similar to the stock Conti's? I would like a tire with more comfort/ all season capability but I obviously can't do two of each. It is a daily driver mostly highway. Dealers are always looking for something to charge you for!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I'm an old guy so this might be "old" advice.

It has always been a no-no to me to mix tire brand/types on a car. Especially if you do any "spirited" driving. If me I would replace all four with the tires you really want or go with two Conti's to replace the worn fronts. Then get a good alignment and watch for potholes/curbs,...etc. However, realize that the Conti's wear pretty quickly as they are 240TW and are a bit pricey for what they are.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I guess its hit and miss when it comes to the Continentals. My first set that came with the car lasted me 21k miles before I felt like I needed to replace. Those were at about 3/32-4/32.

My second set of continentals which were bought used from other CTR owners lasted about 10k, only because one developed a crack (not a nail puncture) in the inner part of the tread that leaked a few lbs of pressure a week. Of course, I dont know the history of the used tires other than the tread life was relatively new, 8/32 to 9/32 (new). Tire shop guy said he sees a lot of the same type of wear on Type Rs specifically. I paid about $700 for these installed, so i guess still not a bad deal.

This time I decided to bump up to a 245/35r20 profile for more impact protection and lower cost and had to replace all 4 to maintain the profile instead of the pair. I went with Falken FK510s. It's softer but within my tolerances. I expect for these to last me at least 25k miles with my driving.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ditto on getting the alignment numbers to see if you're out of spec.
You did rotate them at/before 10k miles didn't you?
Conti's on the CTR wear better with 5k mile rotation; most wear out by 15k.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
You may want to take a look at Michelin PS4S's. Still good performance but will last longer and slightly more comfortable ride. Recommend going for all four though if you switch tire types.
You could also rotate the back tires to the front for a bit to try to squeeze a bit more life out of the Conti's before switching but that may be short lived

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just put new tires on, my Contis wore out on the inside edge-the sidewall rubber was worn!
Now I have new Khumo 35s on there and I noticed the other day they're wearing on the inside edge also. Not to the extent the OE Contis were, but I did have an alignment before I put on the new tires.
I don't hoon or street race or "canyon run" so this in my opinion is unacceptable.
I do know this text is on the car Morani sticker....
Honda Civic 10th gen Toe wear on front tires 1639491807987

I suppose I'll have them aligned again and double check if it's set to 0....

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
My car came with a touch of toe from the factory; Contis lasted me about 6000 miles before they were finished off.

Get it up on an alignment rack for the sake of a few $ and just see what the settings are.

After an initial alignment, my next set of PS4S lasted 20,000+ Miles with perfectly even wear; About 0.5mm difference across the entire tread with the shallowest being the inside due to the standard camber settings.

Especially if you keep on top of your alignment and rotations, (And choose your compounds wisely) it really doesn't eat tyres that quickly.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Grrrr mine as I've previously said, lasted 19K until the inside corner of the tires wore into the sidewall rubber where they print.....I didn't see the wear due to it's extreme edgeiness....

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
Some ctr's came with bad factory alignments and that will cause excessive uneven tire wear. Get your alignment done imediately after new tires and it will be good for a very long time.

The stock Conti's dont last long but they also dont wear unevenly for no reason unless something is wrong with the alignment/suspension.

Front toe per axle: 0 +/- .01
Rear toe per axle: .04-.07

That is what you should have it set to...nothing more or less.
Sponsored