jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been reading up on this topic and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. That is letting your engine idle for a minute or two to help cool the oil in the turbo before shutting down.

I know that turbos have evolved from the early days, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on TODAY's TURBO's. One part of me says to treat my car well with scheduled maintenance and not over think it, while the other knows I plan on having this car for a while and we know about an ounce of prevention.

What are your thoughts and practices?
Sponsored

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I had the same thought, so whenever I park I leave my car running as I check my phone and maybe send a text, if you have tunerview i know that I usually stay off of the turbo and it doesn’t actually spool up with casual driving but if I aggressively drive it then I let it idle to cycle all the fluids anyways

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've been reading up on this topic and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. That is letting your engine idle for a minute or two to help cool the oil in the turbo before shutting down.

I know that turbos have evolved from the early days, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on TODAY's TURBO's. One part of me says to treat my car well with scheduled maintenance and not over think it, while the other knows I plan on having this car for a while and we know about an ounce of prevention.

What are your thoughts and practices?
I would say if you were driving hard on the track on a hot day for extended periods, than I would probably do a cool down before shutting off. For normal driving, it's not really necessary. Todays synthetics are pretty tough, not like yesterdays motor oil. I sent a sample from my last oil change, 7K miles of extremely hard driving in various conditions, and my oil was still in good condition (I could have waited a couple thousand more miles before changing)

JC671

Youtube: JaySi.671
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI, '90 GTR, '10 370z, '90 Mr2 Turbo
Country flag
Let it idle a min at least, it’s not about cooling the oil, it’s letting the oil drain from the turbo back into the oil pan...

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I guess idle would reduce the exhaust temps hitting the turbo. Don't know the running exhaust gas temps vs. idle.

It probably doesn't reduce oil temps much. A lot more metal in the block vs. turbo that would stay hot. Have to idle for a good bit to cool that down..

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Because of the design of the "exhaust manifold" we don't have to be as careful as we used to be about "turbo cooling". If you drive carefully into your driveway or a parking lot, then collect yourself before you turn the car off. You've probably done enough to protect the turbo. On the other hand if you do a hard pull, slam to a stop, and turn the motor off, your asking for trouble.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i usually let it idle for 1 min possibly 2 after driving it, when the old lady drives it we all know she aint idling the car for more than a few seconds so who knows if its even worth my time

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Sorry, but there is some really bad info in this thread. Unless you are driving your car really hard right before parking it, just shut it off. Ever since the advent of water cooled turbos, you no longer need to idle before shutting down. Wonder why you rarely see people w/ turbo timers?... water cooled turbos are why.

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm glad I asked the question because a simple internet search yields the same responses that are reflected on this thread so far.

Some car pros say it's still a good idea while others say that's bad information. I guess as time goes on and these engines begin to age over the 3+ years they've been around, we'll know more.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
The last post is correct, you do not need to post-idle your engine, and I am saying this as an engineer for a turbocharger company. On a water-cooled center-housing turbo (all modern gasoline turbos), the cooolant continues to circulate a bit even (thermo-siphoning) after the engine shuts down. Besides, idling is rough on an engine for a number of reasons, and while the oil temp will drop during idling, the underhood temps rise. The underhood temps can be an isssue for the longevity of all the rubber and plastic components in the engine compartment, as well as the battery. The best way to cool off the turbocharger after some really hard driving is to just drive easy at moderate speeds. This gets a good flow of fresh air flowing through the engine compartment. If you are at a competitive event, open the hood after your run.

Dave

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tracked my car Sunday and I would let it idle for about a minute before shutting off to help cool down. I was also surprised the car let me shut it off without putting on the parking brake. I was pleasantly surprised. :D But aside from tracking, with normal driving, I never really idle.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think if you drive you car hard and your IAT's are up there, idling before shutdown makes sense. As far as normal driving, if it needed to be idled before shutoff, don't you think Honda would have mentioned it in the owner's manual to cover their ass?

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The last post is correct, you do not need to post-idle your engine, and I am saying this as an engineer for a turbocharger company. On a water-cooled center-housing turbo (all modern gasoline turbos), the cooolant continues to circulate a bit even (thermo-siphoning) after the engine shuts down. Besides, idling is rough on an engine for a number of reasons, and while the oil temp will drop during idling, the underhood temps rise. The underhood temps can be an isssue for the longevity of all the rubber and plastic components in the engine compartment, as well as the battery. The best way to cool off the turbocharger after some really hard driving is to just drive easy at moderate speeds. This gets a good flow of fresh air flowing through the engine compartment. If you are at a competitive event, open the hood after your run.

Dave
Like I've mentioned a few times now, there is a contradictory argument. I'm not saying either is right, but the one consistent idea seems to be that after hard driving, drive the car easy for a bit before shutting down. I've never heard idling causing rubber, plastic and battery degradation, but living in SoCal, idling for a minute at a time is commonplace so I'm wondering how that affects overall engine life. Either way, I appreciate everyone's input.

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/idling-rule-turbo-charged-cars

https://www.quora.com/Why-should-a-turbo-charged-engine-run-idle-for-some-time-before-stopping-it

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There are going to be rare circumstances where 30-60 seconds of idling may help. But we're usually talking about high output, modded powertrains operating well outside factory parameters after a hot lap.

Unless specifically called out in the owner's manual, which is rare, there's honestly no need to to do it on stock configurations.

EDIT: Remember with factory water cooled turbos, they are engineered to slowly dissipate heat even after the car is turned off (convection). This has been the industry norm for nearly two decades. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: