Today's experience: pedestrian detection and automatic braking [including dash cam video]

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I just want to share a little experience with the Honda Sensing (collision mitigation braking system (CMBS)).

Today I was driving through a small intersection in which a jaywalker crossed the street right in front of me. It wasn't close at all so I decided to not stomp on the brakes hard.So I'm getting closer to the ped and also steered a bit to the left, away from him. And all of a sudden the collision warning beeped and just a few moments later the Civic was braking hard. It felt a bit uncomfortable because the car behind me then suddenly also had to to some kind of emergency braking.

Anyway I'm still very glad to have the system, sooner or later it will help avoid a real dangerous, especially when driving a lot through crowed cities. I've also learned from that experience, to drive a lot less aggressive towards slower vehicles and jaywalkers.

Long story short, here is the video, what do you guys think?

Sponsored

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
It wasn't necessary, but if you hadn't been paying attention it has to react early. Since these systems can't tell if your eyes are on the road or your cell phone, they go the safest route.

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was always curious to see how the system handled pedestrians! I could never find someone to stand in front of my car and test it for me for some reason.... lol

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
What happens if someone cuts in front of you on the freeway really close? Will CMBS kick in?

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, aggressively so. It will cut in any time there is a risk of running into something, living or object, mobile or stationary.
A few days ago, on a stretch of 3 lane express road at the outskirts of the city I live in (70km/h limit) the car avoided being involved in an accident caused by 2 other cars. I was driving in the middle lane and one car (a Focus ST) passed me through the right, on the 1st lane. In the same time a second car (a Fiesta) tried to join the main road from the right, a few tens of meters in front of my position, not being aware of the Focus ST (which in that exact moment was still behind me, on the second lane). The result was that the Focus hit the Fiesta with it’s right front side and was projected half into my lane just 10-15 meters in front of my car. My car hit the brakes at 100% and manages to stop just 1.5/2 meters away from the focus. It reacted quicker than me, I was probably 0.5 seconds slower than it to push the brakes & clutch. This made the difference between driving away with the car in one piece and being involved into their accident also. Good think the car behind me was like 30m back, it gave him time to react also.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I've had the CBMS (TM) ;) beep and display warnings many times while I was in full control while approaching cars in front of me on purpose. Initially it was distracting and I was going to set the warning distance shorter. But I never experienced hard braking, not even light braking (stage 2), maybe because in more extreme cases I was already slightly braking myself. It seems like the CBMS (TM) does hard braking only in the cases which happen very rarely in my normal driving, if at all. It seems like it's working OK for me, and the actual braking distance of course can't be changed anyway. I now expect these warnings and they don't spook me any more, so I left the warnings set to the long distance.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The system only brakes the car when:
- you are dangerously close to hitting something;
- there is no reaction from the driver.

For example, approaching a car without any intention of braking will result in warnings and then automatic braking while the same situation while covering the brakes will result in much later braking or no braking at all unless you get very close (if the car senses you are in control of what happens).
The system is intended to cut in a emergency situations only, situations which the driver has not foreseen / happened too quickly for the driver to react. I consider it as a safe net, something that has your back in an emergency situation.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What happens if someone cuts in front of you on the freeway really close? Will CMBS kick in?
That happened many times to me on the german Autobahn. In my opinion in those situations the CMBS is perfect. It's not reacting too nervous if someone cuts in your lane.

... For example, approaching a car without any intention of braking will result in warnings and then automatic braking...
I've had the CBMS (TM) ;) beep and display warnings many times while I was in full control while approaching cars in front of me on purpose....
Yeah the warning and automatic braking happened today, as I accelerated towards a slower moving vehicle, to catch a green light. You can also clearly hear how the car hit the brakes.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Contrary to popular opinion, the system can't read your brain and only reacts when you are approaching an object at a certain velocity, it doesn't really care about accel. and brake inputs. It does not care about distance either in the sense that if your tailgating, it will not turn activate. It will only do so if the car in front is braking whilst tailgating.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Thanks guys. I have a couple scenarios I'm curious about:

1) Say you're driving 65 mph down the freeway and another car cuts in front of you at 40 mph. Will CMBS slow you down to 30-40 mph to a create safe distance (No ACC) or will it do a full stop?
2) This scenario actually happened to me a couple years ago and I'm curious how CMBS would react. I was driving down the left most lane of a freeway that has a concrete median. A big truck on the other side of the freeway knocks up a large empty plastic bucket that flies into my lane. I was able to barely evade the bucket while it was still mid-air but I thought for sure I was going to clip the bucket with my front passenger side bumper. Would CMBS do a hard stop in this situation?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Contrary to popular opinion, the system can't read your brain and only reacts when you are approaching an object at a certain velocity, it doesn't really care about accel. and brake inputs. It does not care about distance either in the sense that if your tailgating, it will not turn activate. It will only do so if the car in front is braking whilst tailgating.
It does care about the acceleration input. At least according to Honda.

"When the CMBSTM is activated, it will continue to
operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially
depressed. However, it will be canceled if the
accelerator pedal is deeply depressed."

Wh1SL3R

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX MT Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
1) Say you're driving 65 mph down the freeway and another car cuts in front of you at 40 mph. Will CMBS slow you down to 30-40 mph to a create safe distance (No ACC) or will it do a full stop?
Something like this happened to me the other day so this is great timing! lol
I was driving in traffic on a 4 lane highway. From right to left: exit lane, driving lane 1, driving lane 2, passing lane. Exit lane was backed up for a bit and cars in that lane were at a standstill. I was in driving lane 2 and we were toodling by. Suddenly, a car from the exit lane jumps out in front of a Jeep that was about 100ft ahead of me in driving lane 1. Jeep and I were doing about 40km/h (about 25 mph). Jeep swerves into my lane and slams on the brakes to avoid hitting the jumper then accelerates.

CMBS activated and slams on the brakes ahead of my reaction but I didn't fully stop. I was left doing about 10 km/h and after collecting myself, continued on.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
That's why I don't like this tech, it doesn't seem like it is made for real world situations and can, in extreme cases, even lead to an accident. It just seems like some tech they needed to throw in to stay competitive and add to the list of features being offered.

I think the best policy is to put the phone down, ignore distractions and be as close to 100% engaged in driving as you can be. Don't rely on tech to bail you out, be a better driver.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Honda offer this for free now while some luxury brand require you to donate arms and legs for it.

Wh1SL3R

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX MT Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Honda offer this for free now while some luxury brand require you to donate arms and legs for it.
The Intelligent Driver Package for my friend's Mercedes was a $3000 option! Ridiculous.
Sponsored