Today was a hard day...

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
when i sold my 2004 MSM Miata that i owned for 10 years, i "almost" had tears in my eyes. I touched it and said..good bye my friend. ? Good luck on your new car.
Sponsored

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
...but I did it, guys! I said I was gonna trade my car in for something more docile since my needs have changed, and I did just that today. Leading up to this moment I had a lot of anxiety and worries that I was making a mistake. Then I started to realize I was overthinking everything, and that I could do it. I beat that anxiety, and I beat it into the ground.

I won't lie, when I stepped out of my Type R for the last time, there were tears in my eyes. They were tears of sadness - but over the horizon I saw my new car waiting for me. I told myself I can do it, and I pulled through. As I drove off the lot... I wondered, did I just do that? And when I was able to say "yes I did", a smile perked from my face once more.

The Type R was one of the best cars I've had the privilege to own without a doubt. It may have had it's flaws, but there was magic in the way the Type R drove. It was the finest example of Honda's engineering knowhow, and I am truly grateful to say I was able to experience it for my 2 1/2 years of ownership. I'll never forget how many smiles this car gave me.

My new car is nowhere near as cool, or fun, but that doesn’t mean it is a total drag. This is my new 2017 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatchback with the 6-speed automatic transmission!

EBD477E6-3637-4F27-B441-A206DDE1B03F.jpeg
690368D5-A691-4E49-83CD-EAA15A1066FD.jpeg

So my new car isn’t as cool, but I’m OK with it. With the stress in my life this suits me perfectly. It’s comfortable, quiet, and loaded with tech. It’s not Type R quick, but it’s not a total slug either. I can tell you that this car really feels good to drive through. The steering and handling especially. I’m already really fond of my choice.
Congrats on the new car! Out of curiosity, did you have to pay anything on top of the CTR to get the Mazda?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Congrats on the new car! Out of curiosity, did you have to pay anything on top of the CTR to get the Mazda?
I hope not, should probably be the opposite. The CTR is like a 30k car when traded in. The Mazda should be 15-20k used. Factor in maybe 2k for taxes...

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope, my trade in value was 29K, and my loan was for 19.5K. I threw a bunch in savings and used the rest as a downpayment on the Mazda to get a significantly smaller loan. For some reason my CTR shot in value (previously it was like $24-25k with the accident on it) so I took advantage of it this time.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Nope, my trade in value was 29K, and my loan was for 19.5K. I threw a bunch in savings and used the rest as a downpayment on the Mazda to get a significantly smaller loan. For some reason my CTR shot in value (previously it was like $24-25k with the accident on it) so I took advantage of it this time.
COVID made all the used car prices go up.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I had already owned a 10th gen Civic twice now, so I wanted to try something different. There were no Accords that caught my interest and the only Acura I was interested in was a TLX, and the one I wanted was out of budget and the dealer didn't contact me until too late.

You can call it a downgrade if you want - it's a downgrade in power and cool factor, sure, but it's a massive upgrade in comfort and convenience for me.
Great choice with the Mazda 3 hatchback, I hear the build quality and comfort is top notch. Good idea on staying away from Honda as it would have felt like a downgrade from the R, especially if you bought another Civic. You basically sold your R to get the Mazda 3 hatchback and have more money for a house, awesome upgrade!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great choice with the Mazda 3 hatchback, I hear the build quality and comfort is top notch. Good idea on staying away from Honda as it would have felt like a downgrade from the R, especially if you bought another Civic. You basically sold your R to get the Mazda 3 hatchback and have more money for a house, awesome upgrade!
The comfort is very good, and the build quality feels solid too. You hit the nail on the head with not getting another Civic - it would've reminded me a bit too much about my CTR, and the Mazda is a totally different experience which helps differentiate it. Plus, as I stated earlier in this thread somewhere - I've had two 10th gens now ('17 coupe and traded that in for the CTR) - wanted to see what else the world had to offer!

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Yeah right, cruising on the right lane until you want to overtake a slower car on the 2nd lane and that suuuuuper sensitive adaptive cruise control is hitting the breaks while you are doing your overtaking, in order to respect that a so holy safety distance. This way it really sucks a lot of times, because a car should not slow down when you are overtaking another car, and especially compared to the similar system in my brother's Passat who is not at all reacting so freaky under the same conditions.

I hope HondaHack comes with a solution, like disabling the adaptive feature when using your indicators during overtaking a vehicle. Or an on/off setting to allow to return to the good old regular cruise control situation like before (without adaptiveness).

In my experiences the adaptive cruise control is only good for 2 rather seldom and so extreme situations (at least here in Belgium): when there are (almost) no other vehicles on the road (call it white), or when it is very dense traffic (but still driving, no stop/start traffic, call it black). So for all traffic in the grey zone in between black and white a regular cruise control is better suitable. A plus is the fact that the configured speed is kept when you shift the gears. This is not on my 2006 Accord with manual gearbox, so I need to push Resume after changing gears.

And that forward collision warning feature is also a pain in the but. It even starts to dingle when I break on a normal pace (so no emergency stop) when approaching a red light where a car is already standing still.

Or maybe is there something wrong with my car? My navi and dashboard has been replaced already, so maybe it is. Honestly I am fed up with all those beeps around me, very distracting and plain dangerous while driving. And no, in the EU version you cannot disable them all, only some.
Living in America we have long highways , i have no idea what you are talking about.

My 2018 had none of that, sadly.
I have had a 2018 CTR before ,The 2020 CTR best upgrade ever, Loving my Auto Highbeams too. Makes you want to drive faster at night. I was not too crazy about the waffle fake vents

The Mazda 3 vs the CTR would be extremely unfair to compare in terms of fuel economy :p

Edit: for the longest time Mazda was like Toyota and sticking to their NA guns for as long as they could hold on. I know Mazda's newer sky active motors are turbo'd though. Being able to push fuel economy on an NA motor is a lot harder than doing the same with a turbo as well. I'd argue that Mazda's fuel economy tech probably is better than Honda's.
at 7k feet I get 26 combined and up to 32 on the highway if driving long distances and taking it easy.
This is with Hondata E30 tune , improved throttle, id say almost 350hp to the wheels , 360+tq

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Random question - I remembered I had an extended HondaCare warranty on my CTR that I obviously never used. When you trade in a car, is it up to you to cancel that and if so how do you go about doing that? I know you can get reimbursed based on a pro-rata basis IIRC.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
While new Mazdas are pricey, a used 2017 Mazda3 is a great choice! It's reliable and has plenty of life left. You avoided major depreciation as well. I can totally understand the financial stress and comfort. Glad it worked out for you.

While everyone wants to drive nicer cars, we can't forget the fact that more than 2 million cars get repossessed each year for various reasons. Not to mention owning a relatively expensive car can be stressful.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Random question - I remembered I had an extended HondaCare warranty on my CTR that I obviously never used. When you trade in a car, is it up to you to cancel that and if so how do you go about doing that? I know you can get reimbursed based on a pro-rata basis IIRC.
You can go to the dealer you got the CTR from and get reimbursed for the remainder. You would have to show proof that you sold the car. There is a copy the dealer you sold it to would have given you.
Congratulations by the way on your new ride. Glad you found something that works for you. Maybe in the future you can get back into another CTR.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Yes, you have to take steps to cancel HC. I have done this a couple of times. Contact the dealer you bought the HC from, and he will get you a one-page form to fill out. Very easy. FYI, the proration starts from mile 1 as opposed to, say, mile 36,001/50,001 when bumper to bumper or powertrain warranties expire, respectively. The proration is not time based.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Congratulations on the new car. You almost owned your type R as long as I have owned mines. I will also be trading my car in the near future.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Living in America we have long highways , i have no idea what you are talking about.

I have had a 2018 CTR before ,The 2020 CTR best upgrade ever, Loving my Auto Highbeams too. Makes you want to drive faster at night. I was not too crazy about the waffle fake vents

at 7k feet I get 26 combined and up to 32 on the highway if driving long distances and taking it easy.
This is with Hondata E30 tune , improved throttle, id say almost 350hp to the wheels , 360+tq
That’s not much better than what I’m getting (26-28 on my DD runs, about 28-30 on the computer). The Mazda 3 supposedly is 28/37 city/highway compared to the Type R’s 22/28; about 30% improvement or about 25% fuel savings. And mix in another 15% savings if he only needs regular gas (total of 35% savings in fuel). And I’m sure a tank gets him further to since the Type R tank is tiny for the fuel economy it offers.
Sponsored