Jrojasss

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R
Country flag
So I bought a 2018 type r about 3 months ago and that’s how I learned to drive Manuel and everything has been good and smooth.. today I was driving and I went to pass a car so I did what you should normally do in a stick car. I down shifted from 4th to 3rd, when I went to shift back up to 4th I accidentally shifted into 2nd gear. The car redline and made this sound like warms in a can type noise. After I shifted correctly the car was fine.

my question is how bad is this for my car. Or how bad did I damage it??
Sponsored

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I think it's happened to most people so I wouldn't sweat it too much, especially if the car was fine after. Did you fully let the clutch out when you went 4 to 2 or did you realize you had misshifted? Just don't make a habit of it and the car should be fine ?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I bought a 2018 type r about 3 months ago and that’s how I learned to drive Manuel and everything has been good and smooth.. today I was driving and I went to pass a car so I did what you should normally do in a stick car. I down shifted from 4th to 3rd, when I went to shift back up to 4th I accidentally shifted into 2nd gear. The car redline and made this sound like warms in a can type noise. After I shifted correctly the car was fine.

my question is how bad is this for my car. Or how bad did I damage it??
It has a rev limiter and you should be fine. it is there to protect the engine.
Dont sweat over it.

next time, make sure shift straight down from 3 to 4th.. should not be easily miss.

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8, 2019 SGP FK7
Country flag
I did the same thing on the highway. I went into the wrong gear and it bounced off redline. I immediately clutched in and went into the proper gear. Car has been fine.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
You will be fine since is the first time.

Dyim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SE
Country flag
You just did a money shift and mechanically over-revved the engine.

Not a good thing.

This is not the same as revving the engine in any gear up to the red line and meet the redline with fuel cut off.

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Again, not necessarily. I drive around town going 50 mph and under in 3rd/4th gear. If I were to shift into 2nd at that speed, yeah, it’ll rev high but I’d be fine because 2nd can handle it. Sure it’s going to be jarring and loud, but it’s not going to break anything.
The danger lies where the transmission input speed (where the clutch transfers power to the transmission) in any particular gear is greater than the maximum engine speed defined at redline.

At 50 miles/hr in second gear, your transmission input speed will probably be less than the maximum engine speed based on gear ratios. However, say the vehicle was travelling at 75 miles/hr, and second gear was then selected, the transmission input speed would exceed redline. If the clutch was let out at this time, the difference between the transmission input speed and engine speed would be matched, mechanically causing the engine to rev past redline.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I did this once with my 9th gen civic. The needle was deep in the red and tires squealed a bit. I felt so bad I took it in for an early oil change. I didn't see any flakes in the oil, so I assumed it was okay. Be careful next time lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You just did a money shift and mechanically over-revved the engine.

Not a good thing.

This is not the same as revving the engine in any gear up to the red line and meet the redline with fuel cut off.
I don't consider that a money shift. He didn't overrev by thousands of rpms past redline. He put it in the wrong gear and hit the rev limiter. A scary moment for sure, but sounds like he'll be fine.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It has a rev limiter and you should be fine. it is there to protect the engine.
Dont sweat over it.

next time, make sure shift straight down from 3 to 4th.. should not be easily miss.
The rev limiter can only stop throttle over rev. It wouldn't be able to do anything if you mechanically over rev the engine with a money shift.
Sponsored