To what temperature do you set your auto climate control?

To what temperature do you typically set your automatic climate control?

• 58-60

• 61-63

• 64-66

• 67-69

• 70-72

• 73-75

• 76-78

• 79-80

Results are only viewable after voting.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Creating a poll to try to determine if there is an issue with my climate control or whether this is normal behavior. I'm finding that no matter what the outside weather is, whether in heating or cooling modes, my interior cabin temperature ends up at around 5-7 degrees warmer than the temperature to which I set my climate control.

I've done about two weeks of testing using an instant read thermometer, which I've checked against two different home thermostats for accuracy, and it was within 1 degree of both, so I'm believing it. Depending on what I'm wearing on a given day, I'm most comfortable around 68-71, so I've been setting my climate control to 62-65 in order to achieve that. The system is on full automatic mode, allowing the computer to regulate air mix, cooling power, fan speed, and active vents.

In my previous 2013 Civic, which also had automatic climate control, I was able to set it around the 68-71 range and get the correct expected cabin temperature.

What's more, since this new 2016 climate system features a variable a/c compressor, the temperature sensor becomes even more important when in cooling mode. The variable a/c is able to adjust cooling power in increments (sort of like how a CVT adjusts to optimize power/fuel economy!), as opposed to simply on/off at either 100% or 0% as with a traditional compressor. Due to this, the climate computer is factoring in what it believes to be the cabin temperature, as well as the outside temperature, and attempting to adjust the compressor to give the optimal cooling power for the situation while balancing with fuel economy and engine drag. If the internal cabin temp sensor is not calibrated correctly, as in my case, it is conceivable that the variable compressor will never be operating at the system's intended power. As the computer also takes into account the outside vs inside temperature to regulate the mix, and whether the vents are in fresh air or recirculation mode, if there is inaccuracy there it will create even more inconsistencies.

I've spoken with my dealer twice over the phone about this, and they claim they currently have no way to adjust the cabin sensor. I have not yet pressed the issue by showing up in person and demonstrating the problem to them, but I intend to do so when I have some time.

Until then I was hoping to get some feedback from others as to their experience with the climate control, and what temperature settings are commonly being used.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
whaaaaa

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apologies to my metric friends!

OP
OP
whaaaaa

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You Americans and your asinine Fahrenheits :grouphug:

I set mine to 26 in cold days and 19 in warm days...but no options for those on the polls :catfight:
19 on a warm day sounds about right... that's like 66F. 26 on a cold day, though, that's like 79F! I'd be dead!

I first noticed the issue one night when my wife and I were driving home for about a 30min ride. It was 40F (4.5C) outside, and I had the climate set to 70F (21C), and we were both practically sweating. And my wife almost always feels cold, so if she's telling me it's too warm that's saying something.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I set mine at 65 in the winter when I am wearing a jacket in the car. I haven't measured it with a thermometer but I've been comfortable and it seems like its close enough. In the summer when I'm in short sleeves I'll keep it around 72.

OP
OP
whaaaaa

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting... just based on these first few votes, it seems that not everyone's climate system is running hot like mine. If I were to set my temp to 70-72, I'd end up with like 76-78 in the cabin and be sweating all over the leather.

On the other hand, there's a bunch of votes already for 64-66, which has been my comfort range in this car. If I had set 64-66 in my old 2013, it would have been far too cold. So maybe this issue is common, but not universal...?

Thanks for the votes, guys!

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I'm wondering where the sensor is. I'm sure that different parts of the cabin have hot and cold spots. One thing I have noticed is that the AC is very powerful in cooling the cabin quickly. It's the maintenance of the set temp that is somewhat unreliable.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I'm wondering where the sensor is. I'm sure that different parts of the cabin have hot and cold spots. One thing I have noticed is that the AC is very powerful in cooling the cabin quickly. It's the maintenance of the set temp that is somewhat unreliable.
There's one under the push button ignition, and one dead center in the front windshield defrosters. It's labeled in your owners manual.

UncleDomino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (Aegean Blue)
I keep it at 73 right now. I'll probably have it around 75 for the summer. My house is kept at 85 during the summer. 70 would actually feel a little chilly to me.

OP
OP
whaaaaa

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I keep it at 73 right now. I'll probably have it around 75 for the summer. My house is kept at 85 during the summer. 70 would actually feel a little chilly to me.

Thanks! In retrospect I suppose I should've asked for feedback regarding people's preferred actual temperatures, like how they set their home thermostat. 85 indoors would absolutely cause me to melt away, so it makes sense that your car climate would be set way warmer than mine. Would you say, though, that when you set your car to 73 it achieves a similar feeling temperature to the 85 you set indoors? Or would you say 73 feels like a true 73?

UncleDomino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (Aegean Blue)
Thanks! In retrospect I suppose I should've asked for feedback regarding people's preferred actual temperatures, like how they set their home thermostat. 85 indoors would absolutely cause me to melt away, so it makes sense that your car climate would be set way warmer than mine. Would you say, though, that when you set your car to 73 it achieves a similar feeling temperature to the 85 you set indoors? Or would you say 73 feels like a true 73?
It might be a little bit warmer than 73, but definitely far cooler than 85. I just endure 85 in the house because my dad controls the thermostat. Once I'm out of the house, I'd be fine at 78-80, which I'm hoping the Civic would be around if I set it to 75.

OP
OP
whaaaaa

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It might be a little bit warmer than 73, but definitely far cooler than 85. I just endure 85 in the house because my dad controls the thermostat. Once I'm out of the house, I'd be fine at 78-80, which I'm hoping the Civic would be around if I set it to 75.
Ah gotcha, so that's at least closer to what I'm getting... around a 5-7 degree discrepancy. If you set for 73-75 and actually get 80, I think that fits.

Rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I need to set mine at 64 -65, but the weird thing is after about 30 minutes of driving - the upper vents start to blow cold air, and I need to bump it up to about 68. The set it and forget it beauty of climate control doesn't seem to apply to the civic cc.

Maheenstar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I would keep it at room temperature (72) in the winter and fall. Then 65 in the summer or spring.

StewPiddass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
I've never used the auto climate control yet. I really hate the fan noise from when the system automatically turns it up to make up the difference between the actual and requested temperature.
Sponsored