To those that sold their Si

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No car payments are nice when your car note is high. If it is low, then it doesn't really make a difference unless your living paycheck to paycheck. An extra 250 or so dollars a month is not going to change anyone's life if they have everything else in order.
Sponsored

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Out of curiosity did you break even or did you owe? Also where did you sell it to carmax or back to Honda?
Resist the urge to fall in love with another car and out of love with your current.
There are far too many variables to answer this question.
More $ is the general consensus when asking these questions.
By no means would you ever wish to roll "negative" equity into another car - that there is never a good deal. It is known as "buried".

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
No car payments are nice when your car note is high. If it is low, then it doesn't really make a difference unless your living paycheck to paycheck. An extra 250 or so dollars a month is not going to change anyone's life if they have everything else in order.
$0 x 60 months = ZERO
$250 x 60 months = $15,000
ZERO is better. You must of put down a nice down payment to get to that number. BTW I sucked at math

Last edited:

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We all can agree a car, generally, is not an investment. It’s a depreciating asset. My point was everyone “blows” money somewhere. I’m not talking about spending more than you earn or buying cars, taking vacations, etc., when you’re behind in any matter of financial ways. Some buy clothes, go out to eat a lot, vacations all over the place, electronics, you name it. Then, there are people who derive their satisfaction from saving every penny, packing their lunch everyday, wearing socks with holes in them, clothes they bought in the 80’s and still sport in 2019- all because they derive their satisfaction from saving that money and seeing in the bank. But to simply state buying new cars is a waste and bad financial decision, um no, pends on what you enjoy in life and people enjoy different things.

Edit: just a side note, the only material thing I’ve ever really cared for is my car. As I’ve grown older I’m taking more and more and probably the most satisfaction in things money can’t buy.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
$0 x 60 months = ZERO
$250 x 60 months = $15,000
ZERO is better. You must of put down a nice down payment to get to that number. BTW I sucked at math
My mistake. I had leasing numbers in my mind since I leased mine.

$0 x 60 months = ZERO // means you got the car for free, payed cash, stole the car or somebody is paying the car loan for you

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We all can agree a car, generally, is not an investment. It’s a depreciating asset. My point was everyone “blows” money somewhere. I’m not talking about spending more than you earn or buying cars, taking vacations, etc., when you’re behind in any matter of financial ways. Some buy clothes, go out to eat a lot, vacations all over the place, electronics, you name it. Then, there are people who derive their satisfaction from saving every penny, packing their lunch everyday, wearing socks with holes in them, clothes they bought in the 80’s and still sport in 2019- all because they derive their satisfaction from saving that money and seeing in the bank. But to simply state buying new cars is a waste and bad financial decision, um no, pends on what you enjoy in life and people enjoy different things.

Edit: just a side note, the only material thing I’ve ever really cared for is my car. As I’ve grown older I’m taking more and more and probably the most satisfaction in things money can’t buy.
No one is disagreeing with you or criticizing those who buy new cars. I bought a new car. I bought a new car in 2004, in 2006, in 2013, and in 2018. I don't think there is anything wrong with you or anyone else buying a new car. I think the OP recently bought his car and was seeking advice to see how much he would lose, and people just gave him advice on their experiences and letting him know that financially trading in a car after 6 months of ownership is not wise. He can take that advice or he can *EDIT* politely tell people to shove it

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My mistake. I had leasing numbers in my mind since I leased mine.

$0 x 60 months = ZERO // means you got the car for free, payed cash, stole the car or somebody is paying the car loan for you
No, actually what I meant was that your car is already paid off, you keep it for say 10 years, so for 5 years you are not making payments because you have already paid it off and you have no plans for trading it in or buying a new car, hence, ZERO payments. I hope that clears up what I meant

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No one is disagreeing with you or criticizing those who buy new cars. I bought a new car. I bought a new car in 2004, in 2006, in 2013, and in 2018. I don't think there is anything wrong with you or anyone else buying a new car. I think the OP recently bought his car and was seeking advice to see how much he would lose, and people just gave him advice on their experiences and letting him know that financially trading in a car after 6 months of ownership is not wise. He can take that advice or he can *EDIT* politely tell people to shove it
Yeah, I know. I just went off on a rant as the car thing is a pet peeve of mine with the people that just see a car as their mean of transportation.

So, to the op, if your financial situation is good and you have the disposable income, 1-2k loss is worth it all day, everyday, if it’s something you really enjoy. I’ll tell ya, driving a back road with the sunroof open hauling ass around some curves with the music blaring truly makes life worth living for me.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I know. I just went off on a rant as the car thing is a pet peeve of mine with the people that just see a car as their mean of transportation.

So, to the op, if your financial situation is good and you have the disposable income, 1-2k loss is worth it all day, everyday, if it’s something you really enjoy. I’ll tell ya, driving a back road with the sunroof open hauling ass around some curves with the music blaring truly makes life worth living for me.
I promise, I double promise, I will not talk about buying cars or keeping them forever again. Promise :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lmao...I just shed a single tear when I read that.
Well I am glad I at least brought laughter in your life, even if it only brought a single tear

OP
OP

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Im keeping the car. You guys are right and making the switch on both my options I considered is a very poor decision, the Si is a great car I may just do some mods down the line to wake her up a bit :beer:

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I bought my Si in 2017 thinking I’d keep it forever but since I found out I’m having a third child I found no use for the Si since my wife can’t drive manual so we wouldn’t be able to share an suv. Traded it in for an explorer which I actually like a lot now. I got 19.5k for the trade so I lost quite a bit but I didn’t really have much choice lol this one for sure I’ll keep until it blows up

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my Si in 2017 thinking I’d keep it forever but since I found out I’m having a third child I found no use for the Si since my wife can’t drive manual so we wouldn’t be able to share an suv. Traded it in for an explorer which I actually like a lot now. I got 19.5k for the trade so I lost quite a bit but I didn’t really have much choice lol this one for sure I’ll keep until it blows up
Shouldn't have to wait to long since you got a Ford Exploder. (Ba-duh-tsss…. J/K!)

Congratulations on the 3rd kid. I do the 3 kids thing in the Civic when we pick the Civic over the Odyssey, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Once they outnumber you... it's brings a whole new dynamic to the family. For us, since our kids are all pretty close in age (4, 6 and 8) it's like Lord of the Flies... and we're Piggy.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Very well said.
Sponsored