To replace my sport hatch: Si, sport hatch or Elantra GT?

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Updating this thread cause once I considered resale value, it makes the decision easy.
All KBB values based on 2017 w/ 85k miles, good condition:
My Civic Sport hatch 6MT = $9k
GTI SE performance = $9k
Civic Si sedan = $12k
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport 6MT = $7.3k (2017 was the old crappy model)

Mmkay, wow, makes the Si look like a bargain in this bunch. I can deal with a less convenient trunk to get the LSD, LEDs, rear armrest, better stereo etc.

I'd still consider the Elantra GT N-Line but impossible to find right now.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting because I typed in the exact same info on an '18 GT and got different numbers completely (average trade value about 8.5K).

Honda Civic 10th gen To replace my sport hatch: Si, sport hatch or Elantra GT? Annotation 2020-06-10 114557

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's interesting because I typed in the exact same info on an '18 GT and got different numbers completely (average trade value about 8.5K).

Annotation 2020-06-10 114557.jpg
I changed color from Blue to White, and value went up to $8200, lol. That's interesting, not sure how real it is. I picked blue for all the cars for my comparison (mine is blue).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Varmint, just some thoughts after reading your many posts in this and other topics. And this is coming from someone who's been buying new cars since the 1970's...

Just like you, I'm someone that researches and researches before making a major purchase. Weighing the pro and cons and going back and forth analyzing everything. Well you and I both know analysis sometimes breeds paralysis.

It's pretty clear your ideal car would be an Si hatch. But we know it doesn't and won't exist. The Elantra GT hatch is a nice car. But it just has many more negatives compared to the Civic. Mediocre gas mileage for one. Lack of a limited slip diff. Lower resale value. As far as the GTI, it's a great car. But VW is pricing them way too high if you ask me.

It boils down to two cars. The Sport hatch or the Si. Yes, you love hatches. But in this case, the overwhelmingly better value and better car is the Si. Unless you absolutely cannot afford to lose any cargo space, the Si is the absolute no brainer here. You still will get terrific gas mileage with excellent performance and a number of better features.

Last edited:

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Varmint, just some thoughts after reading your many posts in this and other topics. And this is coming from someone who's been buying new cars since the 1970's...

Just like you, I'm someone that researches and researches before making a major purchase. Weighing the pro and cons and going back and forth analyzing everything. Well you and I both know analysis sometimes breeds paralysis.

It's pretty clear your ideal car would be an Si hatch. But we know it doesn't and won't exist. The Elantra GT hatch is a nice car. But it just has many more negatives compared to the Civic. Mediocre gas mileage for one. Lack of a limited slip diff. Lower resale value. As far as the GTI, it's a great car. But VW is pricing them way too high if you ask me.

It boils down to two cars. The Sport hatch or the Si. Yes, you love hatches. But in this case, the overwhelmingly better value and better car is the Si. Unless you absolutely cannot afford to lose any cargo space, the Si is the absolute no brainer here. You still will get terrific gas mileage with excellent performance and a number of better features.
Thanks man, I know we analyze in a similar manner so your feedback is appreciated!

Today I reached out and found a few Si's, though very few, I'm trying to arrange a test drive, mainly to check the headroom with moonroof and to be thorough, I've no doubt I'll like the way it drives, it's just like my Sport only better. Looks like $2100 off MSRP is the going price around here and I'm ok with that.

A friend wants to buy my Sport so everything lined up.

I did look for 6mt Elantra NLines but none within 400 miles! No LSD like you said anyway so I think the Si is the better car.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si for sure. It's going to be more fun to drive than the others you listed and it's plenty practical even though it isn't a hatch- lots of space for passengers and in the trunk.
Thanks, yeah the kids will appreciate the extra legroom, and they hate that my hatch doesn't have a rear armrest. They like to sleep on it lol. Honda should really put that in the Sport.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
VC, this may be a bit minor/obscure but living in the Northeast you'll appeciate it.

Back when I was shopping for a Civic, I decided I was going for a Sport hatch. But two missing features bugged me, especially #1.

1. No heated outside mirrors
2. No variable intermittent wipers

Those are two basic features every car I've owned for the past 20 years had. It seemed like a really dumb omission on Honda's part.

The good news is the Si has both features. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
VC, this may be a bit minor/obscure but living in the Northeast you'll appeciate it.

Back when I was shopping for a Civic, I decided I was going for a Sport hatch. But two missing features bugged me, especially #1.

1. No heated outside mirrors
2. No variable intermittent wipers

Those are two basic features every car I've owned for the past 20 years had. It seemed like a really dumb omission on Honda's part.

The good news is the Si has both features. :thumbsup:
Lol yeah I cant believe I've driven 85k miles with no CarPlay, heated anything, intermittent wipers, 4 speakers, 1Amp USB - the car is so barren it's ridiculous. I once drove home 3 hrs without Waze or phone cause the 1A USB couldn't start my iPhone without shutting down again.

now I can't wait to get into an Si.:thumbsup:

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I went from a 2018 sport hatch MT to a 2020 Si sedan. I miss the look of the hatch, the added cargo capabilities, and how much more nimble it was. However, for what I've gained...I have no regrets and would do it again.

Loving all the features and options the 2020 Si has over the sport I had. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it makes the drives that much more comfortable. Oh...and the seats! No more back pain! :D

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went from a 2018 sport hatch MT to a 2020 Si sedan. I miss the look of the hatch, the added cargo capabilities, and how much more nimble it was. However, for what I've gained...I have no regrets and would do it again.

Loving all the features and options the 2020 Si has over the sport I had. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it makes the drives that much more comfortable. Oh...and the seats! No more back pain! :D
Yeah I don't normally mod my cars but I might get the HKS exhaust if I miss the dual exhaust tips. :)

Why would the Sport be more nimble? Same wheelbase, similar weight, sedan might have stiffer body. It has very light steering that gives a nimble feel, maybe that's it?

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure, but it had a more nimble, agile feel. Si feels different.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Si is probably the right choice for you based on what you’re currently considering. Sedan has plenty of space and will fit most of what fits in the hatch with the seats down. Considerably faster with the TSP tune too and decent aftermarket support if you want it.

But if you’re considering the Elantra gt and/or willing to compromise just a bit on space, I really think you should consider a used veloster N. Probably will be close in size to the Elantra, but will be way more car than any of the other options. Just saying! Or maybe I’m projecting....

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si is probably the right choice for you based on what you’re currently considering. Sedan has plenty of space and will fit most of what fits in the hatch with the seats down. Considerably faster with the TSP tune too and decent aftermarket support if you want it.

But if you’re considering the Elantra gt and/or willing to compromise just a bit on space, I really think you should consider a used veloster N. Probably will be close in size to the Elantra, but will be way more car than any of the other options. Just saying! Or maybe I’m projecting....
Thanks - yeah I checked out the Veloster N, but don't love the look - I'd buy the i30N or Fastback in a heartbeat - more practical and much better looking imo.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Are 2020 si's really going for 23k + tax now?? If so, that's a steal, just go for that.

I went from a hatchback car to the 2020 si sedan. I still prefer hactches for convenience, but the boot is really big, the seats fold down, and I have a roof rack on my si. MPGs are ridiculously good as well. Overall, it's an excellent value for the money.

Oh and the LSD does help with snow and loose stuff. I live in a mountainous area, and the car does well in the snow. I do run snow tires though bc I don't expect the all seasons to handle the snow/ice well. The only issue I have is the ground clearance, but that's only very rarely a problem and it's a sedan anyway, not an SUV.
Sponsored