To replace my sport hatch: Si, sport hatch or Elantra GT?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
My Sport hatch has been awesome and has 85k miles. Will probably take advantage of the $1000 Honda loyalty (if it isn't gone after today!) to upgrade.
Biggest concern about the Si is the sedan trunk, anyone have the same dilemma? Si hatch would be a no brainer choice.

Here's my choices in order of preference:
2020 6MT Sport hatch (est $21k + tax etc)
+ love my hatch, it's perfect for my needs - the big trunk has lot of work stuff plus kids soccer coaching bags on top
+ 2020 has so many upgrades I want - Sensing, 7" Carplay screen, more noise isolation etc
+ my favorite look of the 3 cars

2020 Si sedan (est $23k + tax)
+ really want the LSD especially for snow - doing field service I have long drives in the snow
+ LEDs and better stereo
+ seats look nice but the Sport hatch seats are very comfortable too
- not sure I'll be happy with the sedan trunk
- moonroof takes away headroom (i'm 6'2").

2020 Elantra GT 6MT N-Line (est $22k + tax)
+ LEDs, leather sport seats, Carplay, hatch and big trunk
- no LSD, small back seat, not sure about resale or discount - and the nearest one is like 300 miles away
- no safety suite unless you get the overpriced Tech Package.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Tough choice, I tend to enjoy variety in life and so I would personally recommend not buying the same model of the same generation in the same body-style with the same trim. Keep things interesting, try something new! How often do you fill your hatch up past the window-line? If it's a lot, then your stuff likely won't fit in the sedan unless you sacrifice a rear seat or two. If your cargo is never blocking your rear-view then a trunk should be more than adequate. Also, as long as your Elantra would come in a manual you'll get no qualms from me on that front ;)

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tough choice, I tend to enjoy variety in life and so I would personally recommend not buying the same model of the same generation in the same body-style with the same trim. Keep things interesting, try something new! How often do you fill your hatch up past the window-line? If it's a lot, then your stuff likely won't fit in the sedan unless you sacrifice a rear seat or two. If your cargo is never blocking your rear-view then a trunk should be more than adequate. Also, as long as your Elantra would come in a manual you'll get no qualms from me on that front ;)
Yeah, my trunk's usually pretty full but only go above the window line when I throw kids soccer stuff, or something on top of it. I think with the Si I would just have to push stuff around to fit the kids stuff, or worst case throw it in the front seat. So it's really convenience vs fun, that's why I'm considering the Si. And the LSD would be really nice for snowy drives up over the mountains in NH, the Sport even with snow tires gets a little tiresome. I've never driven a FWD w/ LSD in snow though, so not sure how big a difference it makes - I'm just assuming it would make a big difference.

Also the LEDs would be great, at night I feel like my Sport has the headlights off.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Clearly the Si is out. You said it yourself... you want a hatch. I vote Sport hatch or if you want the best, Sport Touring.

The Elantra GT has some good points but the low mpgs and lack of standard safety features are disappointing.
I ruled out the Sport Touring cause I don't want to pay for a moonroof and it's $5k over the Sport.

The Elantra GT supposedly does better than the rating with MPG. Since I drive $2k a month (pre-lockdown) mpg is definitely a factor.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tough choice, I tend to enjoy variety in life and so I would personally recommend not buying the same model of the same generation in the same body-style with the same trim. Keep things interesting, try something new!
I agree, it's probably cause I'm only had it 3.5 years, and I love it.

This thinking pushed me toward the GLI, but I didn't like it when I drove it. I liked the GTI but the tiny trunk is a show stopper.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Get the Si, you won’t regret it.
Si sedan trunk is huge, seats are very comfortable and there is room for big dudes. My 5’11” 235 and fit perfectly but my brother who is 6’2” 255 fits just as well.
The 2020 si is the perfect package for the value.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Probably biased here, but I vote Si sedan. The '20 Si comes with more standard features than the Sport Hatch for not much of a difference in price. The trunk on the sedan is very spacious for a "compact" sedan.

The hatch does look nice, but if you want more power, upgraded turbo and some internals, smart key, LED headlights, sport bucket seats - then get the Si. Of course you could get a Touring model and add some creature comforts, but you'll be several thousand over the Si at that point...

Can't really comment on the Hyundai. It looks good on paper, but that's about it lol.

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
Civic Si sedan without a doubt. I promise you won't regret it. I'm 6'3" and I have more than enough headroom. Also have wife and 2 kids and lots of activities and I've never been dissatisfied with trunk space. It's really quite large and I think would accommodate your needs. Lastly, seats and LSD. Seats are not only beautiful but are as comfortable as they are beautiful. They are the most badass seats to date offered in an Si and LSD takes the car to a whole new level of performance.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Civic Si sedan without a doubt. I promise you won't regret it. I'm 6'3" and I have more than enough headroom. Also have wife and 2 kids and lots of activities and I've never been dissatisfied with trunk space. It's really quite large and I think would accommodate your needs. Lastly, seats and LSD. Seats are not only beautiful but are as comfortable as they are beautiful. They are the most badass seats to date offered in an Si and LSD takes the car to a whole new level of performance.
Thanks guys, you know I ruled out the Si in the past cause it had no Sensing and LEDs, but now with the 2020 it's suddenly a different story. The first 3 winters I didn't really have trouble in snow but this winter I wished for an LSD. I will test drive an Si as soon as things open up.

Just my luck if the $1000 Loyalty rebateisn't extended tomorrow.:oops:

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
for sure go with the SI man, i wouldnt trade mine for any car right now.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The Elantra has a nice interior, but boring exterior. I'd probably go with the Si just to change it up a bit.

If we were talking the i30 fastback however...

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Elantra has a nice interior, but boring exterior. I'd probably go with the Si just to change it up a bit.

If we were talking the i30 fastback however...
That will be released the day after I make my decision. :D

I don't see myself getting the Elantra GT unless the 2021 gets the safety features and the i30 N Line upgrades (10" screen, digital cockpit etc, sportier exterior). And I'm not gonna wait til fall to find out.

Honda just extended the $1000 loyalty to June 1. :thumbsup: If the economy is ramping up by June 1 I may go ahead and take advantage of the rebate.

Reactions: Phy

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5WJZ...olid=1QFYUCPIHG4S4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If you want to add LEDs to your Civic without buying a new car, there's always the aftermarket.

Seriously, though, the sunroof is a little low if you have a long torso. Sit in an Si, adjust your seat properly, move your head around, and if you fit then there really isn't much down side. But then I'm biased toward it, I suppose.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
- moonroof takes away headroom (i'm 6'2").
My EX-T has a sunroof (moonroof) I’m 6’5” if you adjust the seat correctly you’ll have enough head room which make it a inch for me and I have three inches over you just a little helpful tip :)

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My EX-T has a sunroof (moonroof) I’m 6’5” if you adjust the seat correctly you’ll have enough head room which make it a inch for me and I have three inches over you just a little helpful tip :)
Everyone likes a different driving position and has different arm/leg length, so it's hard to compare, but I had an EX loaner I think and the headroom was ok - it might annoy me early in the morning when I'm tallest, lol. Seriously, I gain an inch of headroom by the end of the day!

If I remember, I bought my Sport hatch around Nov 1 2016, a few weeks before the Si was announced. So it wasn't a consideration (and I wasn't aware of it coming or I might have waited).
Sponsored