mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership to replace the AC condenser. Do you know the approx. time it takes?
I like to know to see if I should book a rental car.
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I didnā€™t get my car back until 2 days later. They did hold it 1 day in order to complete the dye test.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership to replace the AC condenser. Do you know the approx. time it takes?
I like to know to see if I should book a rental car.
I dropped mine off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon. Did they test it to see if its the condenser? Before my appointment to replace it I had to take it in for them to check what the actual issue is and when they realized it was the condenser I had to book it in. Shouldn't take more than a few hours. This was at a Honda dealership in Ottawa.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
The dealership did checked 2 weeks ago and the condenser was defective. At the Time they told me the parts was back-order and the wait time was 6-8 weeks. I called Honda Canada to complain and they said there was nothing they could do because of COVID.
My dealership called today and told me they received the parts.

I live an hour from the dealership. If the repair takes more than 2 hours, I would have to take a rental. In Toronto, we no longer can wait in the lounge. I literally have to walk around the blocks.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had mine replaced last spring, less than two hours.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I dropped off the car at 10am and they called me at 3pm to tell me that car was ready.
They did give me a courtesy car so I picked up the car the car next morning.
The AC is now working but like before, the air is cool but not cold.

bscags

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dropped off the car at 10am and they called me at 3pm to tell me that car was ready.
They did give me a courtesy car so I picked up the car the car next morning.
The AC is now working but like before, the air is cool but not cold.
I would definitely give them a follow up call and tell them the issue is still there. Next time make sure to remain in the dealer parking lot and give the AC a thorough test for a few minutes to make sure it is ice cold since you live so far away from the dealer to avoid any hassle.

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
Did mine in Vaughan, took about 4ish hours and I waited at the dealership (they were open during COVID for waiting, with social distancing). Honda Canada has extended warranties on the condenser to 10 years or 1 million KMs as my rep told me.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I would definitely give them a follow up call and tell them the issue is still there. Next time make sure to remain in the dealer parking lot and give the AC a thorough test for a few minutes to make sure it is ice cold since you live so far away from the dealer to avoid any hassle.
Ice cold? Air of my car AC was never ice cold.
It was hot here last weekend and driving was comfortable with the AC So the AC is definitely working.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This is from picking up tips & rules of thumb and adding refrigerant over the years. Buy an AC thermometer from an auto parts store. The one I use looks like a small meat thermometer used for cooking.

Stick it in the center dash vent outlet. This was before dual mode climate control so Iā€™m not sure if you should check the driver or passenger side of the system, but may as well check both.

Set AC on coldest temperature, recirculation mode, high blower, windows closed. Most shop manuals say hold engine at about 1,000 rpm. I just drive around for a few minutes. Or sometimes just leave the thermometer in the dash vent all day to see how the system performs.

Some people say to use a slow blower setting in order to give the air more time over the evaporator coils to cool it, and thatā€˜s my preference.

Typically the vent outlet temperature will be 35Ā°F - 40Ā°F, but no more than 50Ā°F cooler than the outside temperature. IOW if itā€™s 100Ā°F outside the AC will probably not be blowing 35Ā°F air. You donā€™t want it freezing cold because moisture collecting on the evaporator will freeze & the ice will block air flow.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
The dealership did checked 2 weeks ago and the condenser was defective. At the Time they told me the parts was back-order and the wait time was 6-8 weeks. I called Honda Canada to complain and they said there was nothing they could do because of COVID.
My dealership called today and told me they received the parts.

I live an hour from the dealership. If the repair takes more than 2 hours, I would have to take a rental. In Toronto, we no longer can wait in the lounge. I literally have to walk around the blocks.
I just bought my 2019 Civic SI last week, and it was fixed less than a week later. There was no wait for the parts, but I had to wait for a time slot from the mechanic.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Did mine in Vaughan, took about 4ish hours and I waited at the dealership (they were open during COVID for waiting, with social distancing). Honda Canada has extended warranties on the condenser to 10 years or 1 million KMs as my rep told me.
I heard about this 10-year warranty from Honda Canada.
Did they send any notice on this? I feel better if there is paperwork to support this.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I found this in a Civic service manual. It appears if the outside temperature is 90Ā°F then the vent temperature will be about 65Ā°F. That doesn't sound good.
Honda Civic 10th gen To Replace AC Condenser 1623794425836

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
I heard about this 10-year warranty from Honda Canada.
Did they send any notice on this? I feel better if there is paperwork to support this.
Only verbal right now unfortunately.
Sponsored