Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
So the Perrin insert, as well all know, is one of the most economical modifications that can be done to improve the vehicle. The fact it is cheap and reversible make it a very appealing mod. That said, I read all Perrin related threads and OPs all follow a specific progression.

1. Oh, there is a little vibration, I can live with this.
2. This thing's great! The wheel hop's gone, i feel so connected to my car. The shfiting feels crisper!
3. OK, NVH is becoming annoying, does this thing wear in at all?
4. I need to use my A/C.....oh god...f^$*!
5. Why did I ever put this thing in? It's my daily! Honda did a great job engineering their RMM for the Si to minimize NVH.

On the one hand, I would love to experience the benefits the insert could provide. On the other hand, I have a wife (and she's kinda whiny). Has anyone installed these and infuriated their significant other? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Cheers!
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do it. Those inserts arenā€™t that bad at all for NVH. If you donā€™t like it, sell them on here in the marketplace.

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
I've got the Perrin inserts. I can't really attest to the effectiveness of them as I didn't drive my car long without them. I will say, in my case, at idle with A/C on it can get pretty bad. I've contemplated taking them out, but I don't think it's worth the effort to undue it and the vibration I can take in short spurts. Once any throttle is applied (I'd say above 950-1000 RPM) it's totally fine.

I believe the idle speed can be raised with a tune/flash and I'll probably get that done to mine when I tune it. For now I live with it, it's not terrible by any means but it's not stock smooth either. I'm with Doc, it's inexpensive, try it, if you don't like them, get rid of them.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
With the inserts, my car would vibrate like crazy with the AC on.

If you want the best of both worlds (benefits of stiffer RMM and least increase in NVH), I'd HIGHLY recommend the stock CTR RMM + Perrin inserts for the CTR RMM. Had this combo for the past 2 years now and I'm pretty happy!

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I've got the CTR RMM + Perrin setup and its a pretty low NVH setup EXCEPT when blipping the throttle or if you don't give it enough gas when taking off in first gear. At least in my case, low RPMs + load will cause pretty bad vibration. This is all after the "break in" period. It can get annoying sometimes, especially in heavy traffic, but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. You can get a used R RMM on ebay for about $50, btw ;)

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the CTR rmm eith perrin inserts on my CVT and sheepish I couldn't stand it I only had the inserts in for an hour and o took them off. I need to drive with the A/C on reversing was something felt like the car was going to blow up.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I think 27won got it right with their single bushing rmm. It makes the nvh pretty consistent rather than the super shuddery low rpm and still loosey goosey higher rpms with other rmm solutions. As long as you have both bushings on the rmm and try to stiffen it you'll have a bad time.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Raising the idle to 800 fixes the A/C vibration. It does not fix wheel hop when wet, just reduces it some.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
NVH is horrible on the Si and CTR Perrin set up. NVH is beyond annoying. Unless your on a tight budget I'd look at a true RMM. Choose this with your ultimate power goal in mind.

RepublikaSrpska

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
So the Perrin insert, as well all know, is one of the most economical modifications that can be done to improve the vehicle. The fact it is cheap and reversible make it a very appealing mod. That said, I read all Perrin related threads and OPs all follow a specific progression.

1. Oh, there is a little vibration, I can live with this.
2. This thing's great! The wheel hop's gone, i feel so connected to my car. The shfiting feels crisper!
3. OK, NVH is becoming annoying, does this thing wear in at all?
4. I need to use my A/C.....oh god...f^$*!
5. Why did I ever put this thing in? It's my daily! Honda did a great job engineering their RMM for the Si to minimize NVH.

On the one hand, I would love to experience the benefits the insert could provide. On the other hand, I have a wife (and she's kinda whiny). Has anyone installed these and infuriated their significant other? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Cheers!
Hahaha I have the 27won race RMM and my girlfriend just calls it the rumble strip like when you drive in the shoulder lane

OP
OP

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
Raising the idle is an easy solution with my Ktuner.

On the other hand, there are just way too many posts about the NVH getting out of control with any RMM solution, let alone the Perrins which use the softest plastics. Summer's soon coming; and I know I'm going to need that AC.

Hahaha I have the 27won race RMM and my girlfriend just calls it the rumble strip like when you drive in the shoulder lane
My wfe began complaining when I threw on my 3" catted down pipe and front pipe. Now I have a full Skunk2 exhaust and she calls them Bazooka Bowels.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Personally a fan of the CTR + Perrin Insert setup, did one yesterday too while installing a Comp Clutch Stage 2 on a customer car. IMO minimal NVH with this setup, it never bothered me for over a year in my CTR as well. After FBO + 27WON Kuro being added we've switched to the 27WON Street, and there's a little more NVH but not intolerable and there has to be a give and take when you're seeking performance.

The 1.5T RMM + Perrin Insert oddly has more NVH than 27WON Street. To some it's fine, others may not like it. Alternatives are to get the Whiteline Insert for the 1.5T RMM, CTR RMM + CTR Perrin Insert, Hasport 60a, or 27WON Street 70a

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Personally a fan of the CTR + Perrin Insert setup, did one yesterday too while installing a Comp Clutch Stage 2 on a customer car. IMO minimal NVH with this setup, it never bothered me for over a year in my CTR as well. After FBO + 27WON Kuro being added we've switched to the 27WON Street, and there's a little more NVH but not intolerable and there has to be a give and take when you're seeking performance.

The 1.5T RMM + Perrin Insert oddly has more NVH than 27WON Street. To some it's fine, others may not like it. Alternatives are to get the Whiteline Insert for the 1.5T RMM, CTR RMM + CTR Perrin Insert, Hasport 60a, or 27WON Street 70a
Performance wise, would you say 1.5 RMM & Perrin Inserts would be on par with 27Won Street 70a? I think I saw on the Perrin site that the inserts are 70a as well.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I had the CTR rmm with Whiteline inserts for a week. Loved it, especially when shifting since there was no slop. And the added NVH was very tolerable except for the A/C at idle which many have mentioned. Couldnā€™t stand it and got rid of it. Now Iā€™m going to try the hardrace Q0676 CTR rmm where itā€™s all hardened rubber. Supposed to get it soon after waiting for 3 months. Hopefully this is the happy medium of performance vs NVH. The new PRL rmm looks great too but have no clue when thatā€™s coming out.

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Youā€™re at that point where you either part HER out or the part the car out!
Welcome to the timeless old practice of either dumping the chick or getting a more practical vehicle.
Life choices my friend.
If we hear from you again after today, we will kow your decision.
Best of Luck !

****Side note, Hondata has a far superior control on wheel slip and hop. No RMM needed but someone can roast me for such blasphemy. Whatever.
Sponsored