to much low tq=dead engine

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
i saw that on the fk8 facebook group,it seem that some engine got rods failure due to the low torque(tuned) anyone here???
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
It is multiple cars or multiple rods on the same engine that failed? Did this happen to a tuned car?

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
It is multiple cars or multiple rods on the same engine that failed? Did this happen to a tuned car?
I believe it was using Motec according to the posts on FB.

OP
OP
fk8mike

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
this what we are trying to know

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds a little like some old Vtec vets overevving their Turbo motors

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Playing with their tune and introducing lspi maybe.

Honda tried their best tuning that out but you can't always save people from themselves.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only heard of 1.5 non-Si failures (1 perhaps 2) due to "playing" with a tune.
I'd venture to say this number is closer to 10.

I also saw an Si failure reported on Facebook.

This is the first I've heard of an R failure.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Speaking from personal and close friend experience... Often when there is a failure a tuner or owner will not want to talk about it. This is partially for sanity I am sure. But I think saving face and protecting a livelihood and pride also is a factor.

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Speaking from personal and close friend experience... Often when there is a failure a tuner or owner will not want to talk about it. This is partially for sanity I am sure. But I think saving face and protecting a livelihood and pride also is a factor.
I know owners and dealers alike have a lot pride in their vehicles but, its always imperative that issues and failures are brought to light so that people can learn what not to do and maybe even find a solution for the issue

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
how does half a car fail?/ :)
Be better informed - There are currently 3 versions of turbo Civics; the 1.5 liter available in the EX - Touring models, the 1.5 liter available in the Si model, and the 2.0 liter available in the CTR.
I don't follow FB but the only "rod failures" I've heard of via CivicX was in a 1.5 liter EX - Touring models that had been "tuned" and "played with" by individuals/owners who were pushing the envelope (too far).
The Si and CTR version of the turbo engines are vastly different than the "base" 1.5 liter engine in the EX - Touring models.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
But here's a big difference in seeing how far you can push a tuned engine program before putting it into production (for sale to the general public) and having a production version tune (unmodified) cause a failure.
Assume this topic is about failures in the latter category.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Be better informed - There are currently 3 versions of turbo Civics; the 1.5 liter available in the EX - Touring models, the 1.5 liter available in the Si model, and the 2.0 liter available in the CTR.
I don't follow FB but the only "rod failures" I've heard of via CivicX was in a 1.5 liter EX - Touring models that had been "tuned" and "played with" by individuals/owners who were pushing the envelope (too far).
The Si and CTR version of the turbo engines are vastly different than the "base" 1.5 liter engine in the EX - Touring models.
For sure the CTR is vastly different. The Si though.... slightly lower compression, slightly stronger rods (Base = 22 HRC vs Si = 28 HRC), different MAF, higher flowing intake/exhaust - I think that's about it for the engine. Seems likely the block is the same. From a value standpoint, the difference is worth it. But if someone was looking to modify anyway, they might justify getting a lower trim and going with better forged internals, a P&P job on the intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo upgrade, larger MAF, and a stronger LSD. That would hit all the same upgrades between them and likely result in a much improved performance gap. But it would cost more, and also be sans warranty as is. So there is a trade off. Risk vs reward. I've been modifying cars all my life, mostly using my wallet as the only tool. Had some great cars(02 WRX, 02 Z06) and some trainwrecks (11 EVOX, 02 Protege ES), thankfully many cars landed in the middle. Didn't gain brag worthy status, but didn't have any major issues either. Regardless - modifying cars was a time and money sink that now, at 40 years old and with my 3rd kid on the way.... I can't justify.

Zero regrets though, had a blast. To you young mofo's - keep modding and when you get tired of a good car, sell it to family. My old WRX now belongs to my brother, and it's making well over 400whp on the stock block with nearly 200k miles on it. Thankfully, I still get occasional seat time.
Sponsored