To Mod or not to mod

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
I am considering adding a couple of mods to my Type R...

thinking eventuri intake, HKS, Fujitsubo, or Spoon Exhaust...and I suppose Hondata.

My question is, is this even worth spending the money on? I love the car so much as is - would I see a huge benefit to any of this if I'm mainly driving on the street. I do hate the exhaust note but I'm not sure if spending 1.2-3k on an exhaust really improves it all that much. I know this thread isn't super deep, just thinking out loud and if anyone has experience deciding on which mods to do or not, and are enjoying their new stuff or wished they would've kept it stock. Also having just spent about 5k on wheels and tires maybe I should wait a bit longer to decide.

I'm guessing I would see a slight improvement on power, especially with the hondata but the car already feels really fast, of course I wish I had a bit more low-end power but the car can get the goosebumps going when you get past 4k RPMs
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
if its worth spending money or not is up to you ultimately. some people will say yes, some people will say no.

you wont see much benefit power wise from just an intake and exhaust but it will give you better driving enjoyment as it adds sounds that is otherwise pretty muted.

hondata will give you the biggest bang for the buck power wise.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It’s going to be more than a slight improvement with Hondata, especially if you get a custom tune. It majorly wakes up the midrange. Exhaust won’t do anything for power sub-500whp; it’s strictly sound. Best things to get for power mods would be a downpipe and intercooler with the FlashPro, but the FlashPro alone will do a lot.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am on the same boat as well, I want to do FBO but with the warranty and smog here in CA, I'm little hesitant. Funny you bring up Spoon because I wanted to get the exhaust from them as well but $3,500 is alot of dough for something that makes noises.
you can still pass emissions with a high flow cat and tune, and they can’t tell if you’ve tuned it anyways unless you blow your motor and they fly out a field engineer

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
I am on the same boat as well, I want to do FBO but with the warranty and smog here in CA, I'm little hesitant. Funny you bring up Spoon because I wanted to get the exhaust from them as well but $3,500 is alot of dough for something that makes noises.
Although subjective, there are far better exhaust than Spoon looks, weight, and sound wise.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Same spot as OP. I would hate to void my warranty because there's so much peace of mind, especially tracking the car. But I would love some sound and a little more power of course... Not that it's not fast already, i'm just not going to say no to more lol.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I wanted to do some simple bolt ons but after doing some research and getting a good understanding of the car I decided that a intake, wheels and new tires will be enough for me. The car stock is more than enough for me especially if its daily driven.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i can kind of understand some people worrying about warranty if this is a bmw or some german car.

this is still a honda which has been out for 4 years now. all of the problems and issues likely to happen (and if it was covered under warranty or not) is already known.

i say just mod it if you want to mod it, keep it stock if you want to keep it stock.

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
i can kind of understand some people worrying about warranty if this is a bmw or some german car.

this is still a honda which has been out for 4 years now. all of the problems and issues likely to happen (and if it was covered under warranty or not) is already known.

i say just mod it if you want to mod it, keep it stock if you want to keep it stock.
well said