To all the Canadians...and other winter drivers

captinbakslap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
Hi, I just got a new Civic Si couple weeks ago. It's my first new car ever (I'm middle aged) and I'm in love with it. That being said, I've never really cared about rust control on a vehicle until now. Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to prevent rust. Undercoating, rustproofing??? I'll store in my garage but be driving it in the winter. Let me know. Thank you!!
Sponsored

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I don't know how much salt is being spread in Toronto.
Here, the streets are all white even when the snow has smelted and the vehicules lift white salt dust.
My SI has passed 2 winters and i dont see any rust. The secret?
1- A good wax before winter as Meguiars Ultimate ( at Canadian Tire store )
2- Rustproofing
3- Frequent rinsing with water, insisting in the wheel arches
I wish you to keep it as good as new for a long time.
Enjoy your SI !

OP
OP
captinbakslap

captinbakslap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
I don't know how much salt is being spread in Toronto.
Here, the streets are all white even when the snow has smelted and the vehicules lift white salt dust.
My SI has passed 2 winters and i dont see any rust. The secret?
1- A good wax before winter as Meguiars Ultimate ( at Canadian Tire store )
2- Rustproofing
3- Frequent rinsing with water, insisting in the wheel arches
I wish you to keep it as good as new for a long time.
Enjoy your SI !
thanks for the advice!

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Get a dedicated set of snow tires. I have Blizzak WS80’s which where great last winter. 225/45/17. Michelin x-ice also good had them on my 9th gen. I also got my car Krown last summer.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Lots of people here in Maine are using Fluid Film. It will wash off where there is a lot of splash but if done thoroughly the first time, an annual touch up will refresh it nicely. I've applied it myself on several cars/trucks and it has held up very well. Not that expensive...about $40.00 gal. US. I bought the gun. Haven't done my civic coupe yet but plan to before cold weather. Some towns here use liquid calcium chloride and it's a g/dam death sentence for your car. The civic has a lot of protection with all the covers under there. Cripe, the first time I looked at mine on the lift I thought it looked like the bottom of a boat.

scottEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext, 2015 crv se
Country flag
Buy the rust coating at the dealership.
10yr warranty on any rust.

I have a 15yr old srt4 I beat the shit out of in the winter and never washed.. zero rust.

About $1200.00 but crown is $120 and going there... after about 8 years pays for itself with time saved as a factor

LanceSI-10thgen

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI Sedan 2018 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
From what I understand, all cars is rust-proofed coming off the assembly line as it does not choose where it's final destination it will go (may it be a sunny state or a wintery kind of state). Those rust-proofing options from the dealership have killer prices but is downplayed to be included in your monthly payment for a "small amount to add". Would you really trust the dealership if they will actually "add" that coating? I bet you will not even know the difference even if they volunteer to show you "after" it was applied. But, your decision to make. I have been in Illinois for 15 years now and three cars since without any rust issues from just wear. The rust I encountered from my cars are a result of unattended body scrapes, stone chips that have exposed the metal etc without putting any repairs to it. Just my 2 cents.

scottEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext, 2015 crv se
Country flag
From what I understand, all cars is rust-proofed coming off the assembly line as it does not choose where it's final destination it will go (may it be a sunny state or a wintery kind of state). Those rust-proofing options from the dealership have killer prices but is downplayed to be included in your monthly payment for a "small amount to add". Would you really trust the dealership if they will actually "add" that coating? I bet you will not even know the difference even if they volunteer to show you "after" it was applied. But, your decision to make. I have been in Illinois for 15 years now and three cars since without any rust issues from just wear. The rust I encountered from my cars are a result of unattended body scrapes, stone chips that have exposed the metal etc without putting any repairs to it. Just my 2 cents.
The rust coating is a pretty thick black spray. Can’t miss it. And free touch ups for 10 years. So you get in inspected. It’s the best method in my opinion

mc21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
The rust coating is a pretty thick black spray. Can’t miss it. And free touch ups for 10 years. So you get in inspected. It’s the best method in my opinion
Yah its an oil based spray, they are by far the best. It's why known has been in business forever.

Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If you have a pressure washer you could purchase an undercarriage cleaner attachment off amazon.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
The best way to avoid rust is to lease...

The best way to prevent rust is lots of car washes in the winter depending on where you live.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The vehicle is rustproofed on the line and does come with 3 years of surface corrosion protection and 5 years of perforation protection. Ultimately, the bottom line is with reasonable care and maintenance, you really don't need extra coverage. Regular washing and waxing of course and repair anything (scratches, chips, nicks etc.) that compromises the surface is key. In the winter, regularly run the car through a wash with an undercarriage spray to get the salt off.

Another point to consider is that aftermarket applications can end up clogging drain holes put there by the manufacturer which traps moisture increasing corrosion exposure. Ensure you go with a reputable shop.

For those that garage their car, the effects of corrosion are heightened:

- The salt-filled snow and slush that clings to your car is bad, but it’s not that bad if it remains frozen.
- When you park your car in the garage, even if it isn’t heated, the slush can melt from the heat of the engine. The water that results from the melted slush increases the rust-causing properties of the salt. That can lead to more rust damage than if the car remained outside.
- The dampness in your garage does not quickly evaporate because of winter’s cooler temperatures and the lack of ventilation. That means your car can be wet for longer periods than it is dry. That prolonged wetness gives salt more time to do its dirty work.
- Every time you take your car out and bring it back in again, the whole corrosion-causing process repeats itself.

To mitigate the above, wash your car often and hopefully close to where you garage it to minimize salt and slush build up.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The vehicle is rustproofed on the line and does come with 3 years of surface corrosion protection and 5 years of perforation protection. Ultimately, the bottom line is with reasonable care and maintenance, you really don't need extra coverage. Regular washing and waxing of course and repair anything (scratches, chips, nicks etc.) that compromises the surface is key. In the winter, regularly run the car through a wash with an undercarriage spray to get the salt off.

Another point to consider is that aftermarket applications can end up clogging drain holes put there by the manufacturer which traps moisture increasing corrosion exposure. Ensure you go with a reputable shop.

For those that garage their car, the effects of corrosion are heightened:

- The salt-filled snow and slush that clings to your car is bad, but it’s not that bad if it remains frozen.
- When you park your car in the garage, even if it isn’t heated, the slush can melt from the heat of the engine. The water that results from the melted slush increases the rust-causing properties of the salt. That can lead to more rust damage than if the car remained outside.
- The dampness in your garage does not quickly evaporate because of winter’s cooler temperatures and the lack of ventilation. That means your car can be wet for longer periods than it is dry. That prolonged wetness gives salt more time to do its dirty work.
- Every time you take your car out and bring it back in again, the whole corrosion-causing process repeats itself.

To mitigate the above, wash your car often and hopefully close to where you garage it to minimize salt and slush build up.

I live in Wisconsin, I don't store my cars in the winter so I've always kept them clean. I think the biggest thing is (as mentioned), keep it clean. Even if it's going to snow/rain the next day or you have to drive through crap to get home, it's worth it. All the cars I've sold had minimal rust and only surface for that matter underneath. Paint was always near mint and never rust on the body. And don't always just use the auto washes, they can't get into the nooks around the wheels. Wait for a hopefully above freezing temp./ day, and got at it if you have a wash place still open. (Usually the ones with both auto and manual washes)

I use to wax my car 2-3 times a month but for the last couple of years, I started using JetSeal. I do that 1-2 times a year and wax 2-4 times. The stuff lasts and seems really work. Even better is to JetSeal and then followup with a wax. JetSeal'd the R today! (Including the winter wheels)
Honda Civic 10th gen To all the Canadians...and other winter drivers 20191008_123743
Honda Civic 10th gen To all the Canadians...and other winter drivers 20191008_123722