Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So I recently got the MagnaFlow performance exhaust installed for my civic touring. I love how deep it sounds. But I have 2 issues with it:

When I rev the engine, why does it sound like the sound is coming from underneath the middle of the car area and not just from the tips. Is this normal?

After getting this installed, I finally realized what drone is. People say it's very little to no drone, but it's a bit annoying... when Releasing the gas pedal after reaching 2k rpm the exhaust starts to give a deep humming noise that resonates throughout the whole cabin. It stops when it dips under 1k rpm. Those of you who have the same exhaust; is it supposed to do that? - it also sounds like it's coming from that same middle section (catalyst converter maybe) which is right under the seats.

Btw, I should also add that I had the tips bent at 90 degrees inward to fit through this diffuser that I bought... can that be what's causing drone?

Honda Civic 10th gen To all performance exhaust owners: 20191025_102453

Honda Civic 10th gen To all performance exhaust owners: 20191025_102351

Honda Civic 10th gen To all performance exhaust owners: Screenshot_20191025-103511_Amazon Shoppin

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Check all connection in the middle of the car. The front pipe to front pipe back connection uses a gasket on the OEM exhaust. If this wasn’t replaced, it could be a leak. If any of the bolt weren’t torqued after getting everything aligned, it could be a leak.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
You can't really judge an exhaust by how it sounds when first installed, exhausts have to be "broken in" over the course of several hundred miles, I went through something similar when I did the catback on my 03 Trailblazer, it had the most annoying drone at 3,000 RPM but eventually as that exhaust aged the noise level of that droning went way down. Also the piece under the seats would be a Resonator not a Catalytic Converter, the Cat is up in the engine bay, that said there are connections right in the area you are talking about so it's worth checking and making sure all gaskets are in place and all bolts are tightened down like the previous poster suggested.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Exhaust do not go through a break in process. I am a 21 year experienced technician with 8 years of real tuning under my belt. The 10th gen civic has almost no sound deadening under the car. Either you have a possible leak or it’s the reverberations of the sound comming from underneath. You have to understand the physics of sound and lower tones travel further and through materials better. You increased the dB level drastically. It could also just be drone due to poor design.
Hope this helps

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I replaced my mufflers with a magnaflow straight through and get the same thing. And yes it gets particularly loud when dropping from 2k to idle

Exhaust do not go through a break in process. I am a 21 year experienced technician with 8 years of real tuning under my belt. The 10th gen civic has almost no sound deadening under the car. Either you have a possible leak or it’s the reverberations of the sound comming from underneath. You have to understand the physics of sound and lower tones travel further and through materials better. You increased the dB level drastically. It could also just be drone due to poor design.
Hope this helps
Don't mufflers with packing material change sound over time? Not sure if that's considered breaking in but same word usage

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
No matter what brand of aftermarket system you buy, virtually all have drone. The only real question is how bad. Some of the reasons for it were mentioned in another post but there is no break in nor is there a way to cause drone by bending your tips. Simply put, drone is the nature of the beast in aftermarket exhaust systems.

There are J pipe installations out there which address the drone issue but I've yet to see any for the 10th Civic. You'll need a welder in order to install J pipes if they're available. They are typically mounted near the mufflers and can look ridiculous if done incorrectly.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
Exhausts absolutely have a "break in" period. I know this for a fact with my MAPerformance Street exhaust. When I first installed it, the same issues you are referring to were almost unbearable. It was a lot more sound and humming than I was expecting. After a good few weeks there is a mix of getting used to it and for some reason the drone and humming decreases to a very tolerable level. How do I know I wasn't just getting used to it? I just replaced my clutch with a lighter flywheel. Not sure what it has to do with it yet but my car is back to how it sounded when I first installed the exhaust. I also think once the clutch is nice a broken in, the harshness will get to a tolerable level. Idk how the exhaust gets a little quieter after a bit of driving but they do. I doubt you have a leak. It is just the way it is for now. Give it time and then come back and tell me if it hasn't gotten better in about a month.

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I also agree. My magnaflow on my Si was so quiet when I first installed it. The volume did increase after a few hundred km's - as did my brother's invidia exhaust.
Sponsored