to: 2016 civics owner - is the cabin loud?

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've owned quite a few Civics - I had a 2006 coupe, 2010 EX-L sedan, a 2012 Si, and 2013 Si...now a 2016 Touring.

The Touring is, far and beyond, the quietest of all of them. The 2012 was a miserable piece of equipment and it was so loud inside you had to raise your voice at highway speeds to talk to people. I cannot articulate my distain for the 2012 model highly enough. The 2013 was much quieter, though the engine in the Si at highway speeds was very loud and if there were high winds or rain, you definitely heard it.

The touring is a league apart. It's not as quiet as my friends Lexus ES (nor do I expect it to be), but the only time I ever hear any slightly noticeable noise is during extremely high winds or at 70+ mph. Other than that, there's seriously almost no road noise that I can tell and I'm VERY fussy about noise: I can hear a canary fart in Fort Lauderdale from Milwaukee.

There's not a car I've driven in this class that's as quiet as the 2016 Civic. By a long shot. And we all know it's not Honda's strong point typically.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonDL

JasonDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Country flag
I've owned quite a few Civics - I had a 2006 coupe, 2010 EX-L sedan, a 2012 Si, and 2013 Si...now a 2016 Touring.

The Touring is, far and beyond, the quietest of all of them. The 2012 was a miserable piece of equipment and it was so loud inside you had to raise your voice at highway speeds to talk to people. I cannot articulate my distain for the 2012 model highly enough. The 2013 was much quieter, though the engine in the Si at highway speeds was very loud and if there were high winds or rain, you definitely heard it.

The touring is a league apart. It's not as quiet as my friends Lexus ES (nor do I expect it to be), but the only time I ever hear any slightly noticeable noise is during extremely high winds or at 70+ mph. Other than that, there's seriously almost no road noise that I can tell and I'm VERY fussy about noise: I can hear a canary fart in Fort Lauderdale from Milwaukee.

There's not a car I've driven in this class that's as quiet as the 2016 Civic. By a long shot. And we all know it's not Honda's strong point typically.
Great answer, and very useful insight. thank you so much.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Great answer, and very useful insight. thank you so much.
Thank you, my pleasure.

It's not as quiet as some reviews make it sound (you'd think they were describing an $80K, but it's quieter than any car I've ever driven and between the compliant ride taking bumps without you feeling them (compared to my Si), paired with how quiet the rest of the car is, it's a very pleasant place to be. Unless you want to shell out extra money for a more expensive car, I truly don't think you'll find a quieter car than the 2016 Civic - those video reviews make it sound WAY louder than it really is. I don't hear even a tiny amount of what it sounds like in those videos.

OP
OP
JasonDL

JasonDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Country flag
Thank you, my pleasure.

It's not as quiet as some reviews make it sound (you'd think they were describing an $80K, but it's quieter than any car I've ever driven and between the compliant ride taking bumps without you feeling them (compared to my Si), paired with how quiet the rest of the car is, it's a very pleasant place to be. Unless you want to shell out extra money for a more expensive car, I truly don't think you'll find a quieter car than the 2016 Civic - those video reviews make it sound WAY louder than it really is. I don't hear even a tiny amount of what it sounds like in those videos.
that's really great to hear. EDIT: After david1pro pointed out seating comforts and cabin noises these two are separate topics. but thank you anyway.

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Because seating comfort fits perfectly embedded within a thread regarding the loudness of the cabin...

http://www.civicx.com/threads/front-seat-comfort-for-long-trips.1898/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/low-back-issues-with-16-civic.1068/

http://www.civicx.com/threads/seat-comfort-for-long-trips.1032/

Edit: This post sits here out of place because JasonDL deleted all his questions and a video regarding seat comfort in the previous post.

The search button is a wonderful thing. Tangents... less so.

Last edited:

OP
OP
JasonDL

JasonDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Country flag

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm not engaging in forum snarkiness, but I will say that I didn't read the previous posts on this thread, nor did I have any idea the topic of "seat/ride" comfort was already addressed and moved to a separate thread.

A little less edginess and a bit more courtesy goes a long way. I brought it up independently of what was evidently said previously in this thread because I do personally find them correlated in the overall experience. Are they separate topics - you bet. But OP wanted insight and feedback into the car, and he got it - I stand by what I said. Whether or not others consider it relevant, that's up to them. I don't see any reason to be called out over it.

That's the last I've got to say on the matter. Not everything needs to be filed into perfectly organized search bins.

Lopepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP
I have a 2016 touring and even when parked I can hear wind from outside. All doors and windows closed. When driving I swear it sounds like air is entering from somewhere and I can't pinpoint it. Perhaps the rear of the car, turn, or moonroof? Everyone here make it sound like their cabin is super quiet (besides tire noise). Do I have an issue on my hands?

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 touring and even when parked I can hear wind from outside. All doors and windows closed. When driving I swear it sounds like air is entering from somewhere and I can't pinpoint it. Perhaps the rear of the car, turn, or moonroof? Everyone here make it sound like their cabin is super quiet (besides tire noise). Do I have an issue on my hands?
It's almost impossible for us to know without being there. My advice would be to go to a dealer and test drove a like model. You'll know if something is amiss.

FWIW, I had a lot of air leak issues in my 2012. It took a test drive in mine with the dealer, then another on the lot to prove it.

A trick I learned with the 9th gen is to shut the windows all the way, then press down for a fraction of a second- to where it's still sealed. For some reason, that "sealed" tighter in my last Civic than it did totally up. Just a thought.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
How does it compare to the Accord? I currently drive a 2013 Accord and I find it reasonably quiet but on highway speeds, the tire noise is a bit intrusive.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How does it compare to the Accord? I currently drive a 2013 Accord and I find it reasonably quiet but on highway speeds, the tire noise is a bit intrusive.
I test drove a '16 EX-L Accord the same time as the Civic. Accord may have been a little quieter overall, but not much. All depends on your highway speed. At <70, extremely quiet. At 80+ (my usual highway speeds), tire noise is present, but hushed and not intrusive.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Check the sunroof also, make sure it is completely closed

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III with ATP
Vehicle Showcase
No wind noise here, but I get a lot of noise from the crappy Firestones. I can't wait to replace them.

Last edited: