to: 2016 civics owner - is the cabin loud?

JasonDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Country flag
Is the cabin loud at all?

I've been watching a lot of these POV videos, and in just about every video the cabin noise is just terrible.

EDIT: I said this earlier, but I'll re-post it here with some added changes. Firstly Thank you to most of you for your responses, it has been extremely helpful, especially the video Hondo included. And second 2016 civic is pretty much my dream car, and I can't stop watching all those reviews on youtube especially the POV drive. Hopefully I can buy one real soon.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty much all POV shots amplify the noise inside the car. IMO the car's very quiet overall, just a bit of tire noise at highway speeds but it's not overly bothersome.

Keep in mind it's not Lexus-vault-quiet though.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not going to compete with luxury cars in terms of NVH, but it seems to be very good for it's class. It's got acoustic glass on the front windshield, which is rare in this class. It's also got triple sealed doors. It's a whole lot quieter than our 8th gen civic, and quieter that the other cars we test drove such as the Mazda CX-3.

Here is a review that tries to demonstrate how quiet it is inside

Jump to 7:10

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
It's not nearly as bad as the videos make it seem. It's quiet for the class. If you're expecting Cadillac or Bentley quiet, you aren't going to get it. Tire noise is present but not objectionable, wind noise is very low, even over 70 mph. The turbo engine has a pronounced growl when accelerating at low RPMs but gets quiet once you lay off the gas.

Overall considering the compact car class I rate it as very good in the Touring. LX might be a bit louder as I understand it has somewhat less sound shielding, but I haven't tried it.

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Like others have said, it's not really loud. I do like turning down the radio and listening to the quiet whistle of the turbo anytime I step on the accelerator. That can be heard if you're listening for it.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heck no, it's not loud at all! It's super quiet! First thing I noticed on the test drive was how freakin' quiet it was.. It felt like I was back in a BMW (i've owned two)..

OP
OP
JasonDL

JasonDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses, it's been helpful especially the video Hondo included. 2016 civic is pretty much my dream car; I can't stop watching all those reviews on youtube especially the POV drive. Hopefully I can buy one real soon.

@Jon Snow I don't know if I should trust you. you are of course the one who knows nothing :p

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Its not loud. Definitely quieter than previous civics and probably the quietest in its class if you compare it to a hyundai accent for example. Its by no means luxury silent though and the review videos suggesting it is are full of crap.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The only thing I hear that bugs me is the fan! So I turn it down to the lowest speed (1 notch), and the car is silent. The only time I ever hear any wind outside is driving west hitting a 20 MPH head wind. Otherwise the car is the quietest care I've ever had.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
Nope, I've found the car cabin to be significantly quieter than previous generations. Sometimes hear the wind noise when extremely windy.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I agree it's pretty quiet unless you have the fan running. If you don't need to blow hot or cold air, you are fine, but once the interior fan is up to 1/4 of the total possible speeds, it's quite loud. On high, which "auto" likes to set it at often, it's unbearably loud - I have to turn it down manually, which is cumbersome with the stupid way they've set up the climate controls.

ahiguero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Honda Civic EX-L With Navigation
compared to my previous car (Elantra 2013 limited) it is very quiet

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Specifically paid attention to this on the way home, because typically I'm playing music. Definitely has to be quietest in class, on smooth pavement very little noise at 75-90 MPH. Can't complain.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I guess it depends on where you are coming from. My WRX is a lot louder than the Civic. But compared to a Lexus IS/GS it is louder.
Sponsored