tmps on 2017 civic hatchback

canerka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
forester civic
i just had my winter tires put on my 17 civic hatch. after i picked the car up i noticed tpms light was not on. this morning i drove 30 miles to work and light never came on. in the manual it says " instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the tpms on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are significantly under-inflated." so does this mean light wont come on because this is not traditional tpms but some call mechanical tpms?? that also maybe explain why tire rack did not have sensors for this car? thanks
Sponsored

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
I'm confused, if the light is not on that means everything is good, right? Why would you want the light on? I'm not from a cold climate so I don't really do the whole winter tires thing so I may be missing something there.

OP
OP

canerka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
forester civic
i am questioning why the light is not on. winter tires dont have sensors on them so light should be on. trying to figure out why they are not.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
i am questioning why the light is not on. winter tires dont have sensors on them so light should be on. trying to figure out why they are not.
Oh yeah, well that's why. It uses indirect measures so there are no sensors on any of the actual wheels/tires. So your tpms can still function with your winter tires.

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just had my winter tires put on my 17 civic hatch. after i picked the car up i noticed tpms light was not on. this morning i drove 30 miles to work and light never came on. in the manual it says " instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the tpms on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are significantly under-inflated." so does this mean light wont come on because this is not traditional tpms but some call mechanical tpms?? that also maybe explain why tire rack did not have sensors for this car? thanks
Did you recalibrate TPMS? (pg 493 of the owners manual, pg 119 of the owners guide)

Honda Civic 10th gen tmps on 2017 civic hatchback upload_2016-12-21_10-49-36

OP
OP

canerka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
forester civic
i did not recalibrate. i would think light would be on if i had to recalibrate but i guess i can try to do that on my way home. i am just trying to figure out what i thought which is what corbygray528 said "It uses indirect measures so there are no sensors on any of the actual wheels/tires. So your tpms can still function with your winter tires." is true or not.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i did not recalibrate. i would think light would be on if i had to recalibrate but i guess i can try to do that on my way home. i am just trying to figure out what i thought which is what corbygray528 said "It uses indirect measures so there are no sensors on any of the actual wheels/tires. So your tpms can still function with your winter tires." is true or not.
It is true. There is no direct measurement of the tire pressures on the CivicX. It uses the ABS sensors to compare the rotational speed of each wheel and if one or more is out of sync with the others, it will show a warning. However, if all tires are under or over-inflated equally, it won't detect anything wrong.

OP
OP

canerka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
forester civic
It is true. There is no direct measurement of the tire pressures on the CivicX. It uses the ABS sensors to compare the rotational speed of each wheel and if one or more is out of sync with the others, it will show a warning. However, if all tires are under or over-inflated equally, it won't detect anything wrong.
thats great thanks

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
You already answered your own question...

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Did you recalibrate TPMS? (pg 493 of the owners manual, pg 119 of the owners guide)

upload_2016-12-21_10-49-36.png
when i went to honda for a tire problem i was instructed to just drive 1 mile at a constant 45 mph to complete the calibration.

gtchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever find an answer? As far as I can tell, my 2018 sport hatchback doesn’t even have the tpms .. had a big flat and nothing came on and there is no calibration menu

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Better go talk to your dealer as every car has the rotational TPMS, even the LX, at least in the US.
Sponsored

Last edited: