ricardorivasr

First Name
ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cvic Type R
Country flag
hello guys my tires just worn out im looking for new tires i cant decide yet between buy new 20 stock tires michelin sport 4s or buy titan wheels and 18 michelin sport 4s i want a good tire that also can last longer than stock. the factor here is im getting free tires 18 or 20 they are a gift so im between keep stock wheels and save money or buy new wheels, also i dont want to loose drivability of the car a lot of people tell me that the car have better handling with stock wheels i found a set of type r le wheels but too expensive for me.
Sponsored

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
With how bad inflation is getting, save your money, take the free 20s and use the stock wheels.

mmc21

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, Boost Blue
Country flag
I have read that the stock tires are actually lesser grade than off the shelf so a new set of conties should still be fine and they are relatively cheap. If you wanted new 18s and wanted to stay around 2k total, you could look at some RPF1s and MPS4S. Keep in mind the pilot sport 5s are coming out right now so if you wait a month or so, the price of 4Ss may drop.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
IMO use this opportunity to find some used Titans, at or under $1800. Get the free 18s. However from everything i've read, you will not feel the road like you do with the 20"s if that's important to you.

If you want to stick with the 20"s, Michelin PS4S. They wont have the absolute limit of grip that the Continentals do, but they will last much, much longer.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
IMO there's no aftermarket wheel that looks as good as the OEM 20's

People who daily their car find more comfort in the smaller size so it all depends on what you plan to do with the car. You will be trading off handling for the smaller wheels *but* there is much more option for track specific tires if you're going that route

timtzotz

First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
I have read that the stock tires are actually lesser grade than off the shelf so a new set of conties should still be fine and they are relatively cheap. If you wanted new 18s and wanted to stay around 2k total, you could look at some RPF1s and MPS4S. Keep in mind the pilot sport 5s are coming out right now so if you wait a month or so, the price of 4Ss may drop.
Glad you mentioned the pilot sport 5s! I heard they were supposed to be in the US by this month but I have seen nothing, have you? In addition, any idea on price? I wonder if the ps4s will drop off the 5s will just be more ?

mmc21

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, Boost Blue
Country flag
Glad you mentioned the pilot sport 5s! I heard they were supposed to be in the US by this month but I have seen nothing, have you? In addition, any idea on price? I wonder if the ps4s will drop off the 5s will just be more ?
No idea, i am asking the same questions. I am going to assume that PS4Ss may drop in time but that may be a while considering current logistical/manufacturing conditions as they transition to the 5s.

AirCaveman

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 SGP
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just got the Pilot Sport AS 4 in 255/35/20. Much cheaper than the factory size and no rubbing... lots of talk on other threads about the pros and cons. quiet, smooth, speedo error, feels a little floaty. I really like them so far. I drive spirited and have fun with the car. They seem to hold well enough for that and maybe enough for a track day or two. At just about $1k installed at costco it seamed like a good plan while I save some extra change for TE's.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
I just got the Pilot Sport AS 4 in 255/35/20. Much cheaper than the factory size and no rubbing... lots of talk on other threads about the pros and cons. quiet, smooth, speedo error, feels a little floaty. I really like them so far. I drive spirited and have fun with the car. They seem to hold well enough for that and maybe enough for a track day or two. At just about $1k installed at costco it seamed like a good plan while I save some extra change for TE's.
I run those AS4’s in a 265/35/18. Great tire. Holding up well after a year, mixed daily / thrashing it at times. It’s pot hole f’n city where I live. 20’s are in storage for when I move south in a few years.
Sponsored