Tires after track day

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R in Red
Country flag
Do these tires look safe after a track day? I think the sidewall got some wear or maybe track rubber build up due to not having a track alignment? I took the car to the F1 track in Austin, picked up a lot of rubber and did some pretty high speeds. I think that most of the excess rubber came off, that maybe it is just stuck here on the sides still? Thanks for any input!

Honda Civic 10th gen Tires after track day IMG_3866

Honda Civic 10th gen Tires after track day IMG_3867

OP
OP
lrk322

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R in Red
Country flag
This is the right front, the left front looks similar, but not as bad. The rears look fine in comparison. Looks like I'll need to replace the two fronts.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
There was a marker there to show how much the tire should have rolled over - you went past that. But it's still fine, just normal tire wear. You can use a chalk next time to control it.

OP
OP
lrk322

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R in Red
Country flag
There was a marker there to show how much the tire should have rolled over - you went past that. But it's still fine, just normal tire wear. You can use a chalk next time to control it.
Thanks for letting me know. So these are still safe to drive on?

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Regarding the sidewall, yes, it's absolutely safe. A bad sidewall is like this. Just be careful to avoid it happening again in your next trackday. You could also consider swapping your LF and RF tires/wheels if running on the same track again.

Completely unrelated to this shoulder wear, you should remember to be extra careful in wet conditions when using a tire that has seen track duty. The wear smoothes the edges of the threads and impact the ability to cut through the water film on wet asphalt.

I hope you had an awesome time tracking the type R =)

OP
OP
lrk322

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R in Red
Country flag
Regarding the sidewall, yes, it's absolutely safe. A bad sidewall is like this. Just be careful to avoid it happening again in your next trackday. You could also consider swapping your LF and RF tires/wheels if running on the same track again.

Completely unrelated to this shoulder wear, you should remember to be extra careful in wet conditions when using a tire that has seen track duty. The wear smoothes the edges of the threads and impact the ability to cut through the water film on wet asphalt.

I hope you had an awesome time tracking the type R =)
Thanks so much for this info. Really really appreciate the detailed response. I rarely have this car in the rain, so I will keep it that way for safety's sake.
Sponsored