Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe IMG_20210613_092503

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe IMG_20210613_092732

It is time to put some fresh rubber on the 2020 Si Coupe 1.5L Turbo-VTEC 6-Speed in preparation for the winter as my front tires are basically bald and the rears are pretty worn.

So I just figured out a good battery for the car over on this thread: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/battery-suggestions-for-2020-civic-si-2-door-coupe.77926/

Now then, on to the rubber discussion:

So the car came with Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires from the factory. These are considered UHP (Ultra-High-Performance) All-Season tires. This category of tire is designed to handle like a summer performance tire in the dry, but still allow adequate traction for wet and snowy roads.

Ive always loved running UHP All-Seasons on just about every car I have owned. They allow you to go for spirited drives in canyons with good performance and feedback and all you have to do when the snow hits the ground is drop the pressure a few PSI and you are good to go.

For this reason I will probably stick within the category, however I would like some higher quality UHP All-Seasons that last a bit longer and offer a bit more performance. I'm not looking for a dramatic difference, as the Eagle Sport All-Seasons are known to be a pretty good all-rounder to begin with.

As for what tires I am interested in, I have my eye on two of them...

Option 1(most likely to purchase): Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+. Testing has shown that the DWS06+ improved quite nicely over its predecessor (DWS06) (Notice the missing "+", it is literally the only difference in the name between previous gen and current gen, so watch out for that). Notes during testing include improved dry, wet, and snow traction while maintaining very similar treadwear and comfort. The only negative note was that test drivers wanted a bit more "feel through the steering wheel". The UTQG is 560-AA-A and the treadwear warranty is 6 Years/50,000 miles with additional included warranties for Uniformity, Worksmanship/Quality, and Road Hazard coverage. Price is $196.99 per tire in my 235/40ZR18 size.

Option 2(excellent tire but expensive as hell and doesn't last as long): Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Gen 4. Testing shows it is the number one tire in wet and snow traction within the UHP All-Season Category, and the DWS06+ just barely beat it in dry traction and braking by less than 1% being a newer generation tire. Test drivers noted excellent performance in all areas with extremely good feedback and feel, however they noted that road noise is a bit loud and annoying. The biggest downfall, however, is that owners report that they can't even get 40,000 miles out of them in most cases. That is truly horrific value for money. The UTQG is 540-AA-A. Treadwear warranty is 6 Years/45,000 miles with included Uniformity and Worksmanship/Quality coverage. There is no Road Hazard Protection. Price is $224.99 per tire in my 235/40ZR18 size.

What tires do you guys run? Should I consider Grand-Touring All-Season tires for longer life instead so I can focus on performance mods rather than replacing rubber every 3 or so years? Let me know what you think!

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe IMG20220925171234

Current OEM GoodYear Eagle Sport UHP A/S Wear, looking quite low, perhaps 3/32 left?

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe co_extremecontact_dws_06_plus_full

Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ UHP A/S - $196.99 Per Tire

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_full

Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Generation 4 UHP A/S - $224.99 Per Tire

Last edited:

john doe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I just put the DWS06+ on my 2020 Si and they are really really good. The stock Eagles were complete trash compared to these. I put them on right before we had record rain here in St. Louis and their wet performance was everything I was hoping for. I was choosing between the DWS06+ and the Pilot Sports as well. I can't remember why I choose the DWS but everything I read had them damn near equal. I think in general they are a little better for a daily driver type of tire.

OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just put the DWS06+ on my 2020 Si and they are really really good. The stock Eagles were complete trash compared to these. I put them on right before we had record rain here in St. Louis and their wet performance was everything I was hoping for. I was choosing between the DWS06+ and the Pilot Sports as well. I can't remember why I choose the DWS but everything I read had them damn near equal. I think in general they are a little better for a daily driver type of tire.
Ya in terms of performance the DWS06+ and Pilot Sport 4s are extremely close. You probably chose the DWS06+ for the same reason I am leaning towards that option - value.

The last generation DWS06 was known for lasting a solid 50,000 miles, while the Pilot Sport 4s are known for lasting only 40,000. On top of that, the Pilot Sport 4s are $25 more per tire, making them a horrible value.

With the DWS06+, if you divide the 50,000 mile life by the $197 cost, you end up paying $1 for every 254 Miles Driven. On the other hand, with the Pilot Sport 4s you end up paying a dollar for every 178 Miles driven.

So basically, with the DWS 06+, you get about 40% more value out of your dollars.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Im running the pilot sports A/S. Their grip is nice but if I’m being completely honest, they don’t feel that much better than the Nankang NS-25 that I previously ran on the car. The Michelins currently have about 20k miles on them and still have a lot of thread. Overall, I do like them, but I would personally run some cheaper A/S in the future.

OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Im running the pilot sports A/S. Their grip is nice but if I’m being completely honest, they don’t feel that much better than the Nankang NS-25 that I previously ran on the car. The Michelins currently have about 20k miles on them and still have a lot of thread. Overall, I do like them, but I would personally run some cheaper A/S in the future.
So you would just go cheaper? Like these DWS06+ for their better value or would you drop all the way down to Grand Touring All-Season style. The thing is: Touring A/S in this sporty size isn't cheap either, tires are still nearly $200 a piece for good ones, but they will last so much longer.

The top treadwear Grand-Touring tire is the new Bridgestone Drive-Guard Plus. They are expensive as all hell at $250 a piece in this size, but they offer damn good grip and comfort combined with 65,000 mile warranty.

In standard touring for about $200 each you have the insanely long-lasting Goodyear Assurance MaxLife. You give up some comfort and performance for a rediculous 85,000 mile warranty, its obviously a harder compound than the other options.

So about where would you go?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Do people actually get 50k miles out of the DSW06+? That seems incredible to me. I take tire mileage warranties with a massive dose of salt, since in my experience, they are rarely met unless you drive like a grandma.

OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do people actually get 50k miles out of the DSW06+? That seems incredible to me. I take tire mileage warranties with a massive dose of salt, since in my experience, they are rarely met unless you drive like a grandma.
Apparently they are, only just. They are pretty much completely gone after the 50K and need to be swapped immediately. Of course this changes according to how you drive. Those who get 50K out of the DWS06+ are basically never going for spirited drives, never cornering hard and putting excessive load and wear on the tires.

I go for spirited drives very occasionally so I probably wouldn't get 50K out of them, more like 40K-ish, but ya the warranties are there for a reason. With normal driving conditions, the treadwear is rated to last that amount of miles before reaching the legal minimum limit where tires are legally deemed "unsafe/unfit" for public road use and must be replaced. However, these warranties explicitly state that spirited or hard driving voids the warranty under any circumstances - they do this for that exact reason.

There aren't many consumer reports on the DWS06+ as far as overall tread life goes because the tire has only been on the market since last autumn, its been basically a year exactly since they came out. However opinions so far are that the DWS06+ seems to be wearing about the same as the old DWS06 while offering improved traction across the board.

This puts the DWS06+ right around 50,000 mile absolute maximum, or about 5-10k miles longer lasting than the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Gen 4. And because it now has about the same performance as the Pilot Sports, The DWS06+ has become the best-selling UHP All-Season Tire according to most tire companies.

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
I got 57k miles out of the DSW06 tires on my 06 ACURA RSX-S that I sold to purchase my '20 Civic Si coupe.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Apparently they are, only just. They are pretty much completely gone after the 50K and need to be swapped immediately. Of course this changes according to how you drive. Those who get 50K out of the DWS06+ are basically never going for spirited drives, never cornering hard and putting excessive load and wear on the tires.

I go for spirited drives very occasionally so I probably wouldn't get 50K out of them, more like 40K-ish, but ya the warranties are there for a reason. With normal driving conditions, the treadwear is rated to last that amount of miles before reaching the legal minimum limit where tires are legally deemed "unsafe/unfit" for public road use and must be replaced. However, these warranties explicitly state that spirited or hard driving voids the warranty under any circumstances - they do this for that exact reason.

There aren't many consumer reports on the DWS06+ as far as overall tread life goes because the tire has only been on the market since last autumn, its been basically a year exactly since they came out. However opinions so far are that the DWS06+ seems to be wearing about the same as the old DWS06 while offering improved traction across the board.

This puts the DWS06+ right around 50,000 mile absolute maximum, or about 5-10k miles longer lasting than the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Gen 4. And because it now has about the same performance as the Pilot Sports, The DWS06+ has become the best-selling UHP All-Season Tire according to most tire companies.
I have used both of those tires now. The Michelins barely lasted 40k miles for me. Changed to the Conti’s hoping for a bit more tread life, quieter and no downgrade in performance. I’m very happy with them so far.

OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have used both of those tires now. The Michelins barely lasted 40k miles for me. Changed to the Conti’s hoping for a bit more tread life, quieter and no downgrade in performance. I’m very happy with them so far.
Ya lets hope we can get 45-50K out of the DWS06+ like the old DWS06. Basic logic tells you that in order to get better traction in all conditions you would have to soften the rubber compound and sacrifice a bit of overall life to achieve such a thing. However, so far it seems like Continental somehow came up with a unique bend that offers the slightly higher wear along with the traction that meets the top-performing options.

Im probably gonna go ahead with the DWS06+. Im gonna shop around and see if I can find a seller who also offers lifetime alignments and balances. This will make things very easy should an issue occur and I need a warranty replacement, as they can see through their very own systems that I have kept the tires properly balance and the car properly aligned. There should be no question whatsoever that I am compliant with the warranty requirements.

OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I got 57k miles out of the DSW06 tires on my 06 ACURA RSX-S that I sold to purchase my '20 Civic Si coupe.
57K would be an incredible value on top-performing UHP A/S tires however I don't think most of us will be able to go that long on the DWS06+.

Do you have winter conditions in your area? Cuz if you make it 57K miles then you are basically down to a completely slick, entirely bald tire with no traction left whatsoever in anything but dry conditions.

If I can get DWS06+ tires through 3 winter seasons and 3 summers and then replace them before the 4th winter season, I will be very happy with the overall value.

With my current driving habits, that should be about 45-50K miles. I purchased the car June 2021 at 9000 miles and I just did the 25,000 mile oil change last weekend.

I did run these factory tires extremely hard. I went for lots of spirited drives and pushed them close to the limit quite often to get used to the car's handling characteristics.

Now with this $1000 purchase on the horizon, I plan on taking it easier, letting the tires and engine last longer with lower stress levels.

Note: I just took this picture and added it to the OP to show current OEM Tire wear:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe IMG20220925171234

Current OEM GoodYear Eagle Sport UHP A/S Wear, looking quite low, perhaps 3/32 left?

Last edited:

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
I live in New England. I avoided driving it in the snow. What is more, I did not often drive the Type S aggressively (I like to keep my cars quite a long time...). That is how I sold it at such a premium...;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
wallacengineering

wallacengineering

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I live in New England. I avoided driving it in the snow. What is more, I did not often drive the Type S aggressively (I like to keep my cars quite a long time...). That is how I sold it a such a premium...;)
Ah I see, that makes sense. Unfortunately my 2020 Si is my only vehicle, my daily driver come dry, wet, or snowy conditions. I don't think I could afford a truck for winters even if I wanted to, what with the massive pricing inflation hit on literally everything this year plus the insane gas prices (thanks Russia... :mad:)

Im in Salt Lake City. Being the desert with temps up to 110 Deg F in summer, and very mild winters consisting of below freezing temps but with very little snow, light dusting on most days with 2 or 3 heavy snowfalls per year at most, I felt a UHP A/S would suit my driving style and conditions perfectly.

When I first got the car, I did hard drives in the mountains outside SLC up near Park City multiple times per week, hitting the same canyon road where you see all the rich people with their supercars go. I even ran into a supercar group once that included an Aston Martin Vanquish, 2 Audi R8 V10s, Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Lotus Exige, and even a classic 90s Acura NSX, and hung onto the rear of the group alongside a VW Golf GTI.

Now days I maybe go for a spirited drive once per quarter year. Otherwise it is normal driving for me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Suggestions for 2020 Civic Si 2-Door Coupe Untitled

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So you would just go cheaper? Like these DWS06+ for their better value or would you drop all the way down to Grand Touring All-Season style. The thing is: Touring A/S in this sporty size isn't cheap either, tires are still nearly $200 a piece for good ones, but they will last so much longer.

The top treadwear Grand-Touring tire is the new Bridgestone Drive-Guard Plus. They are expensive as all hell at $250 a piece in this size, but they offer damn good grip and comfort combined with 65,000 mile warranty.

In standard touring for about $200 each you have the insanely long-lasting Goodyear Assurance MaxLife. You give up some comfort and performance for a rediculous 85,000 mile warranty, its obviously a harder compound than the other options.

So about where would you go?
I’d suggest sticking with UHP and giving the DWS06+ a try.