et4891

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
Sorry I am new with car stuffs, please bare with me if questions are quite dumb.

Recently I got a Type R, and I realized it comes with a summer tire but in Vancouver the weather here is mostly rainy all year and some snow during the winter. I am not using the car for tracks. So I am thinking of getting a set of new tires which would fit for the whole year without changing between winter / summer tires when season comes.

I did google around but don't really know what should be good. I thought of changing rim to 19" but quite a few people and read this post https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...5683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/ that keeping the original rim would be the best for the car.

So wondering if there's any good suggestion with good price for tires?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.
Sponsored

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Sorry I am new with car stuffs, please bare with me if questions are quite dumb.

Recently I got a Type R, and I realized it comes with a summer tire but in Vancouver the weather here is mostly rainy all year and some snow during the winter. I am not using the car for tracks. So I am thinking of getting a set of new tires which would fit for the whole year without changing between winter / summer tires when season comes.

I did google around but don't really know what should be good. I thought of changing rim to 19" but quite a few people and read this post https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...5683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/ that keeping the original rim would be the best for the car.

Correct, going down to 18" or 19" will affect the handling; as mentioned in the Road & Track article, Honda used the specific size and offset to help eliminate/minimize torque steer.
The problem with 20" wheel size, however, is the limited selection of tires.
Your selection will *basically* be only UHP summers.

From what I can quickly dig up...for all-season at stock size are:
- Federal Formoza FD2
- Nitto Neo Gen
And...some Indonesian / Chinese brand tires..

Brand-name winter tires on stock 245/30/R20 size are available, though.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

If you have the cash to burn, Honda does make a 19x8.5 + 60 rim (for previous gen CTR) when paired with 245/35/19 has the same exact dimensions as the current CTR. Motegi also makes a 19x8.5 +53 rim as well. You'll be able to get a better, and possibly cheaper tire selection from that. Otherwise, with stock wheels, the NeoGen is really the only UHP all-season around. It's only an OK all-season tire though, I'm running it right now.

OP
OP

et4891

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
If you have the cash to burn, Honda does make a 19x8.5 + 60 rim (for previous gen CTR) when paired with 245/35/19 has the same exact dimensions as the current CTR. Motegi also makes a 19x8.5 +53 rim as well. You'll be able to get a better, and possibly cheaper tire selection from that. Otherwise, with stock wheels, the NeoGen is really the only UHP all-season around. It's only an OK all-season tire though, I'm running it right now.
I am trying to google around for what you mentioned 19x8.5 + 60 rim (for previous gen CTR) but I don't see much though. Is there a site which you know I can take a look?
I will check out the Motegi canadian website :D thanks thanks
Also, one last question as for Nitto Neo Gen, is it this one https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/neo-gen-all-season-ultra-high-performance-tire/ and why do you think it's only an OK all-season tire though?

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am trying to google around for what you mentioned 19x8.5 + 60 rim (for previous gen CTR) but I don't see much though. Is there a site which you know I can take a look?
Also, one last question as for Nitto Neo Gen, is it this one https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/neo-gen-all-season-ultra-high-performance-tire/ and why do you think it's only an OK all-season tire though?
9th (FK2) generation Civic Type-R (e.g. one that was only available for Japan + EU market only).
Just a quick Google search...but...these ones:
https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...9-alloy-wheel-black-civic-type-r-fk2-fk8.html
  • 19" diameter
  • 5 x 120 bolt pattern
  • +60 offset
  • 8.5" wide
The Nitto tires are more...UHP Summer...than All-season...
Compare that to the tread pattern of something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

michelin-pilot-sport-as-3-plus.jpg

Last edited:

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I would go 18s, 245/40-18 and a good all season tire. Tons and tons of 18" wheel and tire options! And the best protection from potholes etc vs a 19.

Even a +40 or possibly even higher (lower #) offset you won't have any appreciable torque steer, especially if you are not tracking.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
@Vic_L already linked to the wheel. The Motegi wheel is on TireRack, it seems to be the only place I can find it (I've linked to the black set, but silver is also an option). As for the Nitto NeoGen, it isn't the best at displacing anything really. It's OK in the rain, OK in the snow, but it's tread pattern makes it a little slippery in both conditions. In the rain you'll spin pretty easily (compared to other tires) while in the snow, you will have to take it easy. Basically, if it's not dry, they do have more trouble hooking up, which is unfortunate because they actually can handle the cold decently well.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I noticed Nitto also has a Motivo all-season tire...available up to 20".
It shows up on KalTire's website...but it won't come up if you search by tire size...
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/motivo/10001010430002.html#productSizes
I was looking at those for 19" wheels (245/35/19 which matches the 245/30/20 diameter). Unfortunately, if you do use the Motive 245/35/20, it will cause a slight difference in speedo (~1.5%), I don't believe it'll cause any issues in terms of fit if you're using the stock suspension though, but don't quote me on the latter.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was looking at those for 19" wheels (245/35/19 which matches the 245/30/20 diameter). Unfortunately, if you do use the Motive 245/35/20, it will cause a slight difference in speedo (~1.5%), I don't believe it'll cause any issues in terms of fit if you're using the stock suspension though, but don't quote me on the latter.
Oh! I totally did not double check to see that they do not carry 245/30/20, but only down to 245/35/20.

OP
OP

et4891

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
9th (FK2) generation Civic Type-R (e.g. one that was only available for Japan + EU market only).
Just a quick Google search...but...these ones:
https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...9-alloy-wheel-black-civic-type-r-fk2-fk8.html
  • 19" diameter
  • 5 x 120 bolt pattern
  • +60 offset
  • 8.5" wide
The Nitto tires are more...UHP Summer...than All-season...
Compare that to the tread pattern of something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

michelin-pilot-sport-as-3-plus.jpg
ah, I checked the link for 9th (FK2) generation Civic Type-R. It is really quite expensive for my budget :(
Really thanks for the info, but if with the 19", I believe going for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ would be a better match than Nitto right? (If I am looking for all season to drive somewhere always rainy and some snow in the winter)

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quite a few CTR owners run 255/35/20 and more selections with this size. Check it out. That’s what I’ll be running before shelling out more $ for a set of 19” Motegi wheels.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran 245/35/20 Conti DWS 06 without issue when the weather was cold/snowy. Now I’m on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and my god these tires are worth every penny.

I definitely don’t think running all seasons all year round is the way to go though. This car feels like a car costing three times it’s value with good summer tires on. With the DWS 06 I could still take corners much faster than everyone else but there is a lot of wheel spin in the low gears when you push it.

You don’t need to track it to get your moneys worth with summer tires. Really for track use you should have a pair of Pilot Sport Cup 2s or similar.
Plus, I believe the Michelin’s will last longer than the stock Contis, so when it gets cold out again I can store them until the next spring. Until then I’m gonna enjoy pushing this car.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
For all season tires I went with 255/35R20 on the stock wheels. no issues with fitment and there is a much larger selection of tire options at that size.
Sponsored