Tire Pressure Question (Light Turned On)

MrMackeyMk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm coming here with a question that confuses me regarding the PSI of the standard tires that come with the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T. I have some Continental tires that say the max PSI for the tire is 52, but I have no idea where I should realistically have my tire pressures at. I am unacknowledged in the subject and it seems difficult to find an answer.

Today I had a warning message and icon appear on my dash, showing that my tire pressures were low, so I went to check them and they were all at 30PSI. Like I mentioned above, the max PSI for the tire is 52PSI, but what guidelines should I follow? It just started getting colder here, so I'm not sure if the weather change impacted my warning system on the car and I should keep my current PSI's or what.

Any help? Please let me know if I need to include any more info, thanks!
Sponsored

kestrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring SGP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm coming here with a question that confuses me regarding the PSI of the standard tires that come with the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T. I have some Continental tires that say the max PSI for the tire is 52, but I have no idea where I should realistically have my tire pressures at. I am unacknowledged in the subject and it seems difficult to find an answer.

Today I had a warning message and icon appear on my dash, showing that my tire pressures were low, so I went to check them and they were all at 30PSI. Like I mentioned above, the max PSI for the tire is 52PSI, but what guidelines should I follow? It just started getting colder here, so I'm not sure if the weather change impacted my warning system on the car and I should keep my current PSI's or what.

Any help? Please let me know if I need to include any more info, thanks!
Check the door jamb label for your proper tire pressure. Should be 35 PSI if I recall correctly.

EDIT: 35 PSI is what it says on the Sport Hatch

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Use setting posted on your driver's door frame - and recalibrate the TPMS per the owner's manual instructions.
Most Civics are 30 - 32 psi for best handling and safety.
Your TPMS could have went off because of temperature change - you gain or loose about 1 psi for every 10 degree F change. It appears that the TPMS calibration allows about a 4 PSI change before alerting.
Just adjust your pressures to recommended, recalibrate, and occasionally check the pressure after the car sits overnight to make sure you don't have a slow leak.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Sorry to bump an older thread, but after 2500 miles my low tire pressure alert came on. 2018 Hatchback EX. When I got home tonight I checked them, 50+ PSI. What kinda crap job did the dealer do before delivering the car to me? Not happy seeing as how they should be 32 or so and the MAX is 51. Lucky I haven’t had a blowout, seems it could be likely, I figure, at max inflation on a hot highway trip. Egads! They are gonna hear from me... but I will check in the morning when cool, but it isn’t going to make THAT much difference, or at least I can’t imagine it will. How did they send it out the door like that, and why hasn’t it complained until now? A mystery to me...

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
thats why you never take your car to the dealer. learn to do most everything yourself, it’s fun and you won’t get screwd over, not to mention all the money you will save

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thats why you never take your car to the dealer. learn to do most everything yourself, it’s fun and you won’t get screwd over, not to mention all the money you will save
Did you read? Brand new car, where was I supposed to get it if not from a dealer? LoL Thanks.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to bump an older thread, but after 2500 miles my low tire pressure alert came on. 2018 Hatchback EX. When I got home tonight I checked them, 50+ PSI. What kinda crap job did the dealer do before delivering the car to me? Not happy seeing as how they should be 32 or so and the MAX is 51. Lucky I haven’t had a blowout, seems it could be likely, I figure, at max inflation on a hot highway trip. Egads! They are gonna hear from me... but I will check in the morning when cool, but it isn’t going to make THAT much difference, or at least I can’t imagine it will. How did they send it out the door like that, and why hasn’t it complained until now? A mystery to me...
This also happened to me. I bought my 17 ext coupe on Apr 1 of 2017, and in October the TPMS lit up during a road trip. I stopped at a fuel station and added some air trying to resolve it. The station didnot have pressure gauge on the air hose. I made my next stop at a nearby dealership and was told my PSI was 51. The light goes off for low and higher air pressures.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And I know they were 32 when I started the trip, I verified them before starting.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And I know they were 32 when I started the trip, I verified them before starting.
See, I could see them going up, from what I read, about 4-6psi when really hot, like on a hot day on a highway trip, lots of heat there. I guess it is nice to know the sensor kicks on both ways, at least you know something has to be checked out.

In my case, the dealer told me that they typically inflate them to 42psi-46psi when they take delivery, becuase they don't want them low when going on a test drive, but they don't re-check or calibrate that before sending them off when actually purchased. They are going to at least make customers aware of it, if not change the practice.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
See, I could see them going up, from what I read, about 4-6psi when really hot, like on a hot day on a highway trip, lots of heat there. I guess it is nice to know the sensor kicks on both ways, at least you know something has to be checked out.

In my case, the dealer told me that they typically inflate them to 42psi-46psi when they take delivery, becuase they don't want them low when going on a test drive, but they don't re-check or calibrate that before sending them off when actually purchased. They are going to at least make customers aware of it, if not change the practice.
Dumbasses. Happy to hear that something is being done one way or the other.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not 100% sure about US models, but EU models have indirect TPMS.

That means that there are no sensors and the car measures the number of rotations each wheel makes.

More rotations = smaller circumference = lower pressure = warning.
Sponsored