Tire Pressure Monitoring Problem TPMS won't go away

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For any tire gurus, here are the specs for the tire that came on the car:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...6781!&ef_id=WZ4blAAAANwS8i16:20170824001932:s

And here they are for the tire that replaced the flat:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...3613!&ef_id=WZ4blAAAANwS8i16:20170824002100:s

Looks like the new tire is 24lbs vs 21lbs for the 3 other tires. This could be the issue. They are the same size, however its possible at higher speeds (and temps) the different composition/weight may cause the tires to expand differently to a different size.
Sponsored

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
sorry to revive an old thread - I think I know the solution.

This happened to me yesterday. All tires were 34 PSI and were originals with good tread and regular rotations. The spare had 37PSI when reco was 60. I pumped it up and reset the monitor. The TPMS has not come on since driving about 40 miles. I don't know why, but it seems there is a traditional TPMS in the spare.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I had a problem with it once. The next morning I inflated all tires to 2 psi over the recommendation on the door jam sticker and recalibrated, and the problem went away.

OP
OP

roarkarch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
THIS HAS FINALLY BEEN FIXED !!!

So I took my car to Midas for an oil change / tire rotation this week and asked them to look for anything suspicious because I've been getting more and more road noise. It's sounded terrible. Like something is wrong. I've been going to them for 20 years so I trust them.

They found that my right rear bearing was bad.

Took it to Honda, they replaced it under warranty. Boom.

No more TPMS error. And the car rides a WHOLE lot better.

I guess maybe it was the combination of that unique tire on the bad bearing, because when I got that tire rotated from the front to the rear back in July, that's when that error came about. BUT I also learned from Midas, because they were really curious and trying to solve my problem (my family is buds with the owner so he was invested haha) that the tire pressure sensors in this car somehow do interact with the bearing. It was the first I'd heard of that. But he found documentation about it somewhere.

Anyways, I'm happy with my car again. No more errors and the driving is smooth as can be. And one of my tires is ever-so-slightly different.... wow Honda dealerships. I had it in the shop over 5 times and they never figured it out. Midas had it solved within an hour.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Outstanding result, roarkarch. This should be archived.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Just worried that you had a bad bearing already on pretty much a new car. At least you weren’t taken care of.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
THIS HAS FINALLY BEEN FIXED !!!

So I took my car to Midas for an oil change / tire rotation this week and asked them to look for anything suspicious because I've been getting more and more road noise. It's sounded terrible. Like something is wrong. I've been going to them for 20 years so I trust them.

They found that my right rear bearing was bad.

Took it to Honda, they replaced it under warranty. Boom.

No more TPMS error. And the car rides a WHOLE lot better.

I guess maybe it was the combination of that unique tire on the bad bearing, because when I got that tire rotated from the front to the rear back in July, that's when that error came about. BUT I also learned from Midas, because they were really curious and trying to solve my problem (my family is buds with the owner so he was invested haha) that the tire pressure sensors in this car somehow do interact with the bearing. It was the first I'd heard of that. But he found documentation about it somewhere.

Anyways, I'm happy with my car again. No more errors and the driving is smooth as can be. And one of my tires is ever-so-slightly different.... wow Honda dealerships. I had it in the shop over 5 times and they never figured it out. Midas had it solved within an hour.
Great post funny thing is just got oil change and tire rotation today on my 2016 ext coupe only 12104 miles on it never a problem with any warning codes until today now i'm getting TPMS codes and wont clear and FYI this was 1st rotation of the tires since I bought car and I thought I had a bad back strut going bad so I will bring back to dealer this fri or Sat very interesting will keep you posted thanks for the Info

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a side note, for safety reasons, you should never replace only 1 tire. Both front or both rear tires (or all 4) should be replaced at the same time. Different tires, even same brand/model with different wear levels, will grip differently, and you won't know until you are in an emergency braking or manouver situation and the car becomes unbalanced due to asymmetrical traction.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering how this TPMS system works, I find it incredibly hard to believe it's a wheel bearing (or that a 1 year old wheel bearing was even bad). The TPMS sensor reads individual wheel speed and approximates pressure by looking for changes in speed indicating a change in circumference. There is no air pressure sensors in the wheel.

I got a pressure light last week when I put air in my tires when it was 20°f outside then it went to 55°f the next day. My tires shot up to 42psi from 38psi and triggered my TPMS system.

I really can't say what the OPs issue could be, but I would be shocked if it was a bearing. A mismatched tire definitely could do it, but if it's the same size as the other 3, I doubt it would have a different circumference. I would lean towards a bad wheel speed sensor or an intermittent contact broken wire on the wheel speed sensor.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Just worried that you had a bad bearing already on pretty much a new car. At least you weren’t taken care of.
He wasn't? What do you mean?

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As a side note, for safety reasons, you should never replace only 1 tire. Both front or both rear tires (or all 4) should be replaced at the same time. Different tires, even same brand/model with different wear levels, will grip differently, and you won't know until you are in an emergency braking or manouver situation and the car becomes unbalanced due to asymmetrical traction.
So he should have spent twice as much to get TWO new tires? What should he have done with the almost new tire with only 1,000 miles on it?

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Considering how this TPMS system works, I find it incredibly hard to believe it's a wheel bearing (or that a 1 year old wheel bearing was even bad). The TPMS sensor reads individual wheel speed and approximates pressure by looking for changes in speed indicating a change in circumference. There is no air pressure sensors in the wheel.

I got a pressure light last week when I put air in my tires when it was 20°f outside then it went to 55°f the next day. My tires shot up to 42psi from 38psi and triggered my TPMS system.

I really can't say what the OPs issue could be, but I would be shocked if it was a bearing. A mismatched tire definitely could do it, but if it's the same size as the other 3, I doubt it would have a different circumference. I would lean towards a bad wheel speed sensor or an intermittent contact broken wire on the wheel speed sensor.
Why would the Honda dealership replace the wheel bearing if it wasn't bad?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I went in for an alignment and rotation at NTB. When I left, and drove on the freeway, the TPMS came on but I had a bad vibration too. I stopped to do the calibration and it was fine on side streets, as soon as I hit 50mph, the TPMS would trip and a bad vibration came in. took it back, had it rebalanced, they claim the wheel is bent, so they moved it to the back where I shouldnt feel it. Now Ive had these wheels 9 months and never hit a pothole or curb. I drive next door to Discount Tire and have them check the "bent" wheel and they tell me the tire is shot. That it wont balance at all. So they order a new tire under warranty. So now that tire is on the back while I wait for it to come in but I still have a bad vibration that I never had before the alignment and cant get TPMS to calibrate. Also thinking I should order a second tire as well.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Defective tire - thrown a belt? Were tires original or replacements? If replacements, the tire may have been mis-mounted or damaged during mounting? As long as the replacement tire is the same as the other on that axel, you should be okay.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Defective tire - thrown a belt? Were tires original or replacements? If replacements, the tire may have been mis-mounted or damaged during mounting? As long as the replacement tire is the same as the other on that axel, you should be okay.
Its a Nitto Motivo 235/35-19. I bought the set new from them. They said the tire has a wobble in it. They just couldnt get it to balance. The machine asked for 9oz and to spin it. After the spin it would ask for 14oz and a spin. Then it would ask them to go back to 9oz. Even if the wheel was bent they should be able to get the machine to balance it and couldnt. The tire just came in so Ill be getting an update later today when I go to get it installed
Sponsored