Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Started off by getting tire pressure warnings a couple of times in the last few weeks. Tire pressure is perfectly fine. Reset the TPMS calibration 3 times, 5-10 seconds between each reset.

All of a sudden, this morning, I got this "Tire Pressure Monitor Problem" and it wont disappear no matter if I calibrate or not. What is wrong?

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Pressure Monitor Problem 20190530_091805
Sponsored

Garlow1979

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Started off by getting tire pressure warnings a couple of times in the last few weeks. Tire pressure is perfectly fine. Reset the TPMS calibration 3 times, 5-10 seconds between each reset.

All of a sudden, this morning, I got this "Tire Pressure Monitor Problem" and it wont disappear no matter if I calibrate or not. What is wrong?

20190530_091805.jpg
I heard that some cheap cell phone chargers that plug into your adapter can interfere with your tire pressure sensors. Don't know if that is true or not.

OP
OP

Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I heard that some cheap cell phone chargers that plug into your adapter can interfere with your tire pressure sensors. Don't know if that is true or not.
Dealership just found a nail causing a slow leak. I will need to get that patched and reassessed, thanks though.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
This probably only applies to true tpms. Civics determine flats or under-inflation based on wheel rotations (hence why we don't get actual pressure readings).

If one wheel is rotating slightly faster consistently then it thinks there's a flat.

True tpms have sensors built into the valve stem and talk to the car wirelessly.

damills18055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I've had a similar problem since the vehicle was new. I have recalibrated each time only to have it return. I've taken it to the dealer several times and been told about specific tire problems which I have addressed. The last such instance claimed the tires were low once again. This time since the tread was nearly gone, I replaced all four tires with new Pirelli tires. Again the monitor displayed the same error. I took it to the dealer and complained that this problem needs to be resolved now! Little did I expect the response -- one of the new tires has a DOT number different from the others and is causing the problem. HUH? How in the world does this system know one number is different and why would that matter? The tires are identical despite the number difference. Yet they insist that is the problem. So, must I go back to the tire store where I bought the tires and have them order and install a new tire that will match EXACTLY with the other three??

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Which number is different that they say is disqualifying the tire? Sounds kinda hinky to me...

Does anybody know if damills car has actual tpms or the diameter sensors like the type R?
I've had a similar problem since the vehicle was new. I have recalibrated each time only to have it return. I've taken it to the dealer several times and been told about specific tire problems which I have addressed. The last such instance claimed the tires were low once again. This time since the tread was nearly gone, I replaced all four tires with new Pirelli tires. Again the monitor displayed the same error. I took it to the dealer and complained that this problem needs to be resolved now! Little did I expect the response -- one of the new tires has a DOT number different from the others and is causing the problem. HUH? How in the world does this system know one number is different and why would that matter? The tires are identical despite the number difference. Yet they insist that is the problem. So, must I go back to the tire store where I bought the tires and have them order and install a new tire that will match EXACTLY with the other three??

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If it's size or load rating being different (eg 3 W95 and 1 H80) vs mfg date, it's possible that the circumference is different enough to upset the rev comparator.

damills18055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tires are identical except DOT number, 3 are the same, one is one digit different. Was told the system monitors tire rotation to determine circumference.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Like tac said above unless the one tire is a different diameter which would be a different size tire that sounds hinky to me. Let us know how it gets resolved.

"Tires made in the United States have the DOT serial number located on the inside sidewall near the rim. The letters “DOT” are followed by eight to thirteen letters and/or numbers that identify where the tire was manufactured, tire size and the manufacturer's code, along with the week and year the tire was manufactured." from General Tire.
Tires are identical except DOT number, 3 are the same, one is one digit different. Was told the system monitors tire rotation to determine circumference.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
If it's size or load rating being different (eg 3 W95 and 1 H80) vs mfg date, it's possible that the circumference is different enough to upset the rev comparator.
It doesn't just compare the circumference but also calculates the wheel's Natural frequency -or eigenfrequency- and compares those values (dominant frequency and energy perak positions) to the calibraton data. As far as I know the civic does that only on one axle but I don't know if fornt or rear. This makes the situation more complicated and the calibration procedure a bit slower. However alone with the circumference analysis it is possible to report a low pressure warning.
Also worth mentioning that the system does the calibration for different speed intervals for the circumference analysis and for the frequency analysis too.
So to answer some of your questions:
- No, the system can't detemine the DOT number
- It can learn the calibration data even if 1 of the 4 tires are different in diameter. But you have to reset the system to go into calibration mode and only minor difference is allowed. Bigger difference is allowed between the tire circumference on different axles.
- Having exactly the same tires on all 4 wheels makes the calibration easier
- If the system is not calibrated properly within XY miles (I don't know how much), then an error message will be shown

What prevents the calibration:
- Accelerating/Braking
- Cornering
- Bumpy/bad road
- Fully loaded car (too much torque disables the calibration)
- Driving uphill for a long time (too much torque disables the calibration)
- Driving with the same speed (the system can't learn in multiple intervals)
- Pressure loss during calibration
- Incompatible wheels/tires
- Damaged wheels, tires or ABS wheel speed sensor
- Improperly balanced wheels

If the conditions are optimal then the calibration process needs only a few minutes to complete. In different speed intervals of course.

damills18055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd love to get this resolved. However at this point the dealer I'm using has brushed off their responsibility on this issue. I was going to talk with the tire store where I bought the tires. But I'm likely to get laughed right out of the store. Perhaps I'll consult another Honda dealer and see what they say...thanks all for the responses.
Sponsored