Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
Bought my 2018 civic Si coupe black brand new augs of 2018... since then if i hit any type of pothole i blow out a tire... tonight I hit a landmine pothole and it wrecked the driver side tire... again 3 weeks ago pull a tire on a long drive.. so thats 3 tires down in 58k miles... side note question: I get whining from 1.2.4 gears is that normal? when should i change tranny fluid?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If you haven’t done a trans fluid change by now, i’d do it soon. I’ve decided to do it every 30k miles.

Maintenance minder built into the infotainment should tell you if it should be done as well.

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
ok so 58k and i should change tranny fluid? thanks for heads up... im coming from a 2008 scion xb which tranny fluid needed to be changed every 90k miles... car had zero electronics in it.. but studid reliable at 300k miles over 10 years.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
You can go 50K between gear oil changes...it's not as sensitive as a auto tranny.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What tire pressure were you running at the time and when was the last time you checked them (Yesterday mine were down 4 psi due to the cold weather)? Our only tire-killer happened at 70 mph on I-81 at a bridge "pothole". It also cracked the wheel but both held air for another month before it was changed.

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
using goodyear tires ... i live in pothole city.... now mine you these potholes was like hitting a land mine... my head hit the ceiling when i hit them... car is small so potholes do damage

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Compared to your old xB, he Si has thinner tire sidewalls (3.7" vs. 4.4") and a stiffer suspension. Both of which mean the Si won't stand up to potholes as well as the xB. Try to be careful where you can. Here's the difference in sidewall height.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Eater 1608564458225

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Dang, where do you live?

Here, roads that are near industrial areas tend to have beat up roads, from the rigs I'm assuming. I'm able to avoid those roads and always think of the CTR stories of tires/rims getting beat up.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Factory Honda MTF should be changed annually or 20K miles at the most. Amsoil MTF goes a bit longer, you may get 2 yrs out of it... I've done this through 4 generations of Civics.

Honda MTF is pretty amazing IF you change out annually. Amsoil is very slightly better in the heat. I haven't tried GM Synchromesh (w/ friction modifier)... looks like it is not available in Canada... internet to the rescue!

As for the potholes... I would avoid them at all cost (save my life). The Si is not good off-roading...

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
Dang, where do you live?

Here, roads that are near industrial areas tend to have beat up roads, from the rigs I'm assuming. I'm able to avoid those roads and always think of the CTR stories of tires/rims getting beat up.
thanks for this chart.... yes the box scion xb was killer in rain and snow.. i never had to dig it out i just warmed it up put in drive and ripped thru the snow... car was unreal reliable.. i love the SI.. just learning its flaws at this point... potholes are a big deal if you hit them fast enough in small car... i thought about a miata and thought if i hit the same pot hole in a miata i be dead lol... merry xmas !

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
Factory Honda MTF should be changed annually or 20K miles at the most. Amsoil MTF goes a bit longer, you may get 2 yrs out of it... I've done this through 4 generations of Civics.

Honda MTF is pretty amazing IF you change out annually. Amsoil is very slightly better in the heat. I haven't tried GM Synchromesh (w/ friction modifier)... looks like it is not available in Canada... internet to the rescue!

As for the potholes... I would avoid them at all cost (save my life). The Si is not good off-roading...
im at 58k didnt change tranny fluid yet... should i go get it done asap? thanks

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
Dang, where do you live?

NJ the garden state pothole parking lot