heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
I was on my way from the night shift at work and my TPMS light came on late last night.
Less than 800 miles on these tires, car is officially two weeks old

Pulled over and tried checking out all of my tires, but couldn’t find any sign of damage.
Tried to recalibrate sensors to clear code.

Figured that we went from having 110* days to 80 degree days in AZ because of the smog from the fires blocking some of the sun, I just needed to let some summer air out and swap for winter /s

Take to dealer first thing in the morning today, to get tire checked out.

I have tire and wheel warranty. Didn’t cost me anything, but they had to order a new tire. Kept car at the dealer all day -noticed the mileage on it went up a little (peculiar)

After they replaced the tire (unrepairable- I picked up a screw at a weird angle) the rep pulls my R around and I give it a walk around and notice this piece of metal is stuck in a different tire.

He quickly tried to grab it when he saw I was snapping a photo. They pulled my car back in, and checked the tire with the soapy water spray - no air bubbles.

Drove for about 10 miles, TPMS sensor light came on again.

Luckily I just installed a hardwired dash cam so we can see if I accrue any extra miles this next visit when I take it back tomorrow ?

Side note- anyone know what this metal piece could be from? The spike is nearly as big as the rep’s finger.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire damaged at dealer AF8F49E2-5CF7-411E-AC66-F80333C91B15
Sponsored

gohighhhehrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The car also has a built in GPS history, it was posted here some days ago. Instructions are on the manual as well. You can use this to check if they have driven the car.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I was on my way from the night shift at work and my TPMS light came on late last night.

Pulled over and tried checking out all of my tires, but couldn’t find any sign of damage.

Figured that we went from having 110* days to 80 degree days in AZ because of the smog from the fires blocking some of the sun, I just needed to let some summer air out and swap for winter /s

I have tire and wheel warranty. Didn’t cost me anything, but they had to order a new tire. Kept car at the dealer all day -noticed the mileage on it went up a little (peculiar)

After they replaced the tire (unrepairable- I picked up a screw at a weird angle) the rep pulls my R around and I give it a walk around and notice this piece of metal is stuck in a different tire.

He quickly tried to grab it when he saw I was snapping a photo. They pulled my car back in, and checked the tire with the soapy water spray - no air bubbles.

Luckily I just installed a hardwired dash cam so we can see if I accrue any extra miles this next visit when I take it back tomorrow ?

Side note- anyone know what this metal piece could be from? The spike is nearly as big as the rep’s finger.

AF8F49E2-5CF7-411E-AC66-F80333C91B15.jpeg
What the heck? At first I thought it looked like an allen key tool.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
that looks a brake drag reduction clip from the brakes?! i haven't touched mine so idk if it is or not

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Keep in mind, the TPMS will trip if the tires are overinflated, as well. Ask me how I know???

Ok, I'll tell you. The car is shipped from Swindon England, by boat, and the tires are inflated to 50PSI, the Max sidewall pressure, for the journey. So the tires don't flatspot, while the car is strapped down.

Part of the PDI is for the dealer to adjust the tire pressures. Well, I drove mine 300 miles with 50 Psi in the tires. I aired the tires down, and calibrated the light, and never saw the light, again, until It had been about 2 weeks since I drove the car.

Keep in mind, the TPMS sensors, which aren't even mounted inside the tire, they're mounted on the shock, give you the least amount of problems, when you set them to the cold tire pressure, on the drivers door jamb. I believe its 35 front and 33 rear.

Draxaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The car also has a built in GPS history, it was posted here some days ago. Instructions are on the manual as well. You can use this to check if they have driven the car.
Do you remember the feature name for the manual?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Looks like the spring from the brake shoes. Probably not from yours. I would expect at most 2-3 miles if they drive it a bit to clear the TPMS code.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It's just brake hardware, likely the tire picked it up from the shop floor. I doubt it did any damage.

Did you check your tire pressures?

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Keep in mind, the TPMS will trip if the tires are overinflated, as well. Ask me how I know???

Ok, I'll tell you. The car is shipped from Swindon England, by boat, and the tires are inflated to 50PSI, the Max sidewall pressure, for the journey. So the tires don't flatspot, while the car is strapped down.

Part of the PDI is for the dealer to adjust the tire pressures. Well, I drove mine 300 miles with 50 Psi in the tires. I aired the tires down, and calibrated the light, and never saw the light, again, until It had been about 2 weeks since I drove the car.

Keep in mind, the TPMS sensors, which aren't even mounted inside the tire, they're mounted on the shock, give you the least amount of problems, when you set them to the cold tire pressure, on the drivers door jamb. I believe its 35 front and 33 rear.

^^ this

happened to me when i first picked up my CTR, "wow this is really rough and bouncy ride" get home and all 4 were ~47PSI. (no light tho) then i s let out the pressure and calibrated and never had an issue. until i installed the new rims and was like "wow this is really a squishy ride" aaaannnddd forgot to check tire pressure and the light came on in about 5 miles. inflated to 35/33 psi calibrated and went away and nothing has come back for the past 1k miles

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
what is the recommended psi for stock tires and rims? i heard 40

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Looks like the spring from the brake shoes. Probably not from yours. I would expect at most 2-3 miles if they drive it a bit to clear the TPMS code.
Took it back to the dealer this morning.
They replaced the second tire that had the brake spring in it, as it had the tiniest little puncture, and seeped out to ~30psi

I checked pressure in all tires and was sitting 35-30 fr 30-33 rear

A little off, and not uniform to spec.

They replaced second tire, aired up appropriate tires to proper specs, and now no code!

Also addressed driving to clear TPMS and they confirmed.

Thank you all for your insight!

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

AF8F49E2-5CF7-411E-AC66-F80333C91B15.jpeg
That looks like a staple from a smashed wooden skid.