Tire Chains

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
Hey guys, I'm going to be traveling from Utah to Philadelphia in my 2.0 civic. In particular I will be traveling through Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska, which have terrible driving conditions. Hence I have decided to invest in some chains. The manual specifies to use autotrac 0154505 tire chains
Questions:
Has anybody used these before?
Are there better brands out there?
For those that live in the area, will I be ok with my all season tires?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
i would say instead of getting chains i would say grab some good winter tires. The problem with chains is they are made for short distances and if you are going to be driving a lot then you would be getting in and out a lot in the snow. Also if you where to leave the chains on at any point in time and you hit road where the chains are not needed they could snap off or break off and could rip your wheel well apart. i say just get the winter tires with some cheap wheels and go with that.

OP
OP
HSPrzepa

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
i would say instead of getting chains i would say grab some good winter tires. The problem with chains is they are made for short distances and if you are going to be driving a lot then you would be getting in and out a lot in the snow. Also if you where to leave the chains on at any point in time and you hit road where the chains are not needed they could snap off or break off and could rip your wheel well apart. i say just get the winter tires with some cheap wheels and go with that.
Thanks, but financially that is not the best option for me. I'm a student carrying every last piece of my belongings during this trip. To conserve space I would have to sell my all-season tires (less than 10,000 miles) while simultaneously installing my winter tires. Not to mention, I would do much better in all-season tires in Philadelphia's climate.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Assuming you're doing mainly Interstate driving, just keep the all seasons. No chains, no winter tires. If you check NOAA/other snow depth maps, nowhere has enough snow to make roads impassable, unless roads are just left untreated out west.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks, but financially that is not the best option for me. I'm a student carrying every last piece of my belongings during this trip. To conserve space I would have to sell my all-season tires (less than 10,000 miles) while simultaneously installing my winter tires. Not to mention, I would do much better in all-season tires in Philadelphia's climate.
tie the tires to the roof. get some old beat up rims off creigslist for around $100 some people do sell them. then get firestone winter tires which are only $68 a tire thats what i might end up doing. still cost a little but still under $500. But if you want to go economical i would say just stay with all season tires if they are basically brand new you should be fine just take it slow.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chains are meant to be driven under 30mph, which I even consider a bit fast. At those speeds, an all season with plenty of tread is going to do just fine too. Chains are to get you out of a ditch or to bail you out when you turn onto a side road that is solid ice, they are not meant to drive across the country.

If you can't afford a set of winter rims/tires, just drive smart and careful. Your FWD Honda Civic with super low ground clearance is not going to be able to go through the same stuff an AWD/4WD with more than double ground clearance can.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Chains are meant to be driven under 30mph, which I even consider a bit fast. At those speeds, an all season with plenty of tread is going to do just fine too. Chains are to get you out of a ditch or to bail you out when you turn onto a side road that is solid ice, they are not meant to drive across the country.

If you can't afford a set of winter rims/tires, just drive smart and careful. Your FWD Honda Civic with super low ground clearance is not going to be able to go through the same stuff an AWD/4WD with more than double ground clearance can.
this is why after i get into a police department i'll be buying a 4X4 maybe a ford f-150 or something along those lines. the civic is amazing but i am tired of driving through snow and bad weather. Just can't affort the gas for a 4X4 at the moment haha.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Subaru man. My WRX is a monster in the snow :) I've pulled trucks out of the ditch before.

This was a 55mile trip in an ice storm.
Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Chains {filename}

That is beautiful lmao i would love a subaru but i feel like the practicality of a Truck would be better with the bed and all. might actually decided to trade the Civic for a wrx if i chose to do that instead of a truck hahaha

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Ive lived in South Dakota and Iowa my whole life and ive never seen anyone use tire chains.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
in all honesty i believe the only time i've ever seen chains was when i was watching a movie forget what the movie was but yea never had seen chains ever used before.

OP
OP
HSPrzepa

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
Update: I made it through Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas without skipping a beat. My civic did much better in the snow than I anticipated!