Tips for driving tuned to help preserve the clutch?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, will probably be pulling the trigger on ktuner v1.2 along with the phearable tune soon and wanted to know any tips to help preserve the oem clutch for as long as possible since this is the first tuned car I've ever had, I plan on switching out to Eman's type R retrofit some time down the line but only after I save for a bit.

I've heard things like don't go WOT at low RPM's, don't lug the car around, only floor it when I'm high rpms like 4-5k? Also don't push it hard when I'm already going fast in higher gears? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've heard things like don't go WOT at low RPM's, don't lug the car around, only floor it when I'm high rpms like 4-5k? Also don't push it hard when I'm already going fast in higher gears? Thanks!
Lugging is the same as WOT at high gear/low RPM. That’s as bad to the engine as it is to the clutch. As long as you’re not lugging the engine, your engine sound be fine and your clutch will last for daily driving.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lugging is the same as WOT at high gear/low RPM. That’s as bad to the engine as it is to the clutch. As long as you’re not lugging the engine, your engine sound be fine and your clutch will last for daily driving.
Thanks! Just need the clutch to last me at least 15k lol and I'll be happy with it
use common sense- no power shifting and high boost in 5th and 6th.
Definitely no power shifting, but in regards to high boost in 5th 6th.. let's say I'm going 70 on the highway in 6th, it would be bad if I dropped it into 5th and went WOT? Should I drop it into 4th? Or if I need to gain speed using only half throttle at 5th?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks! Just need the clutch to last me at least 15k lol and I'll be happy with it

Definitely no power shifting, but in regards to high boost in 5th 6th.. let's say I'm going 70 on the highway in 6th, it would be bad if I dropped it into 5th and went WOT? Should I drop it into 4th? Or if I need to gain speed using only half throttle at 5th?
high boost doesn't mean no boost. 5th at WOT in high way speeds would not be ideal, to me at least.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

This can answer all your questions.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

At 70 in 6th you'll probably be doing around 3K RPM with the higher final drive in the '20. Dropping to 5th should be around 4K RPM, which is right around the minimum RPM you'd want to be going WOT. Probably safer to drop into 4th to do that.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At 70 in 6th you'll probably be doing around 3K RPM with the higher final drive in the '20. Dropping to 5th should be around 4K RPM, which is right around the minimum RPM you'd want to be going WOT. Probably safer to drop into 4th to do that.
Gotcha, so to be on the safe side I should generally try to be in a higher RPM when I go hard right?

I also drive a lot in city traffic, will I have to change my driving style to start sticking with more higher rpm's? In traffic there are times where I'm in 3rd going 18mph and go along, after tuning I should probably be stay in 2nd for the most part?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Gotcha, so to be on the safe side I should generally try to be in a higher RPM when I go hard right?

I also drive a lot in city traffic, will I have to change my driving style to start sticking with more higher rpm's? In traffic there are times where I'm in 3rd going 18mph and go along, after tuning I should probably be stay in 2nd for the most part?
Yes, in general try to be at 4K+ if you are giving it the beans to preserve the clutch. (I run the 19.5/21 Ktuner base tune and my clutch has begun slipping after 1 year of being tuned. Not too bad yet, but trying to figure out which clutch to eventually go with.) As far as normal driving, you don't need to worry that much about what you are talking about. Yes, in that situation if you give it a ton of throttle, then that's not ideal, but if you are just accelerating normally, it's not a problem. You'll be able to tell if you are lugging the engine and need to downshift. In my experience, anywhere above 3K RPM isn't lugging the engine, regardless of load (that 3-4K RPM w/ high load isn't good for the clutch, but lugging the engine and clutch slip are separate issues).

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, in general try to be at 4K+ if you are giving it the beans to preserve the clutch. (I run the 19.5/21 Ktuner base tune and my clutch has begun slipping after 1 year of being tuned. Not too bad yet, but trying to figure out which clutch to eventually go with.) As far as normal driving, you don't need to worry that much about what you are talking about. Yes, in that situation if you give it a ton of throttle, then that's not ideal, but if you are just accelerating normally, it's not a problem. You'll be able to tell if you are lugging the engine and need to downshift. In my experience, anywhere above 3K RPM isn't lugging the engine, regardless of load (that 3-4K RPM w/ high load isn't good for the clutch, but lugging the engine and clutch slip are separate issues).
Gotcha thanks for that bro. Did your clutch start slipping after 1 year just after normal driving? Like you did everything you mentioned and it still begun to slip? Or did you heav drive/autox etc.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Gotcha thanks for that bro. Did your clutch start slipping after 1 year just after normal driving? Like you did everything you mentioned and it still begun to slip? Or did you heav drive/autox etc.
Normal/spirited driving. Can't say that I was always careful to downshift so that I wasn't hard accelerating between 3 & 4K, but I would never go WOT at those lower RPMs. This is my first manual, but I did take it easy on the clutch for the first 500 miles or so and I'm pretty good about not slipping the clutch. Really just seems like a crapshoot over whether your clutch will slip w/ a base tune or not.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If you are accelerating hard on the highway, you should drop into 4th always. 4th gear will get you over 100 mph... which is only necessary if you’re racing or really wanting to look like an asshat.

You can accelerate in 5th and 6th slowly by just feathering the throttle for a normal left lane pass.

Don’t be afraid to be at 4000-5000 rpm. This engine has no problem living at high revs. It was built for it.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are accelerating hard on the highway, you should drop into 4th always. 4th gear will get you over 100 mph... which is only necessary if you’re racing or really wanting to look like an asshat.

You can accelerate in 5th and 6th slowly by just feathering the throttle for a normal left lane pass.

Don’t be afraid to be at 4000-5000 rpm. This engine has no problem living at high revs. It was built for it.
Gotcha gotcha thank you bro, just wanted to clarify on everything. I know I'm throwing warranty out the window after I tune it I just want to make sure I don't blow my shit since it is my daily

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Gotcha gotcha thank you bro, just wanted to clarify on everything. I know I'm throwing warranty out the window after I tune it I just want to make sure I don't blow my shit since it is my daily
My car isn’t tuned, so my advice is just universal to the car regardless. If I can’t utilize the tune to it’s full potential without slipping the clutch, then I wouldn't really want to be tuned at all. Feels much better knowing that i can drive the car as hard as I want without damaging anything.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Just roll on the throttle instead of whacking it wide open. That method will give you some forewarning if the clutch does stat to slip someday. You will be fine! ENJOI
Sponsored