GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
The most important part of learning stick for a beginner is finding the bite point IMO. Just spend some time in an empty parking lot and build that muscle memory of finding where the clutch starts to engage. Don’t worry about using gas to take off. Being able to find the bite point consistently will help you shift smoothly.

I typically shift around 3k if I’m just putting around.

Always always always, move the shifter only when the clutch is fully depressed. Only start to apply throttle when the clutch is nearly fully engaged. You want to eliminate clutch slip as much as you can to prolong clutch life.

Any questions lmk. I’ve been driving manual cars for a decade and people who ride with me don’t even realize I’m driving a manual because I drive so smooth.
Also, before I owned the type r I actually owned a civic hatch that was tuned via Ktuner. If I decide to use it on the Type R could this impact the bite point very much?
Sponsored

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Personally I learned how to downshift by using the auto-rev matching as a guide to see how much throttle I should be giving each gear to the next. Now I've got it down and just keep rev matching on bc it's simpler.

As for normal shifting, it's easier to get into first in Sport/R+ mode bc it gives you the full throttle capabilities at low pedal % as opposed to comfort. What was important for me after driving for a while was just learning how each gear compares to the next. (type R also being my first manual but I knew *roughly* how to drive one after driving a buddy's Si for a week).

Easy guides to act as a steering wheel.

> First gear idles at 3-4 mph ~ 750 rpm, if you can get the car to that, there's first gear.
> Hold in the clutch as long as it takes, you're not going to destroy a clutch in under 30k miles unless you drive like you're on a track for 30k miles. When you're more comfortable work yourself into using it better.
> Second gear easy shit point is revving to 2500 in first and then letting it go down to 1500 and releasing the clutch for second. (happens at about 12mph in first).

Otherwise just practice. Stalling the car is going to hurt it less than grinding a gear so again just USE that clutch, don't worry about it babying it, this isn't a BMW or a Porsche, the clutch is about a grand and isn't a terrible job, not going to cost you like 7 grand to replace it.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Does driving in comfort mode make it easier to not stall, or do the different drive modes not matter that much?
This car is amazing for beginner and it doesn't stall easily. it can start rolling on 1st by slowly depressing clutch without gas. And not to mention its wonderful on-hill feature which helps preventing the car from rolling back, quite handy!!

Enjoy the car!!

OP
OP
GundamTypeR

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This car is amazing for beginner and it doesn't stall easily. it can start rolling on 1st by slowly depressing clutch without gas. And not to mention its wonderful on-hill feature which helps preventing the car from rolling back, quite handy!!

Enjoy the car!!
Gundam avi, man of culture I see

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Also, before I owned the type r I actually owned a civic hatch that was tuned via Ktuner. If I decide to use it on the Type R could this impact the bite point very much?
A tune won’t change the bite point of the clutch.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
The only real challenge is mastering the launch, NO not a drag style launch, I mean just getting the car to move forward with minimal clutch slip and no drama. That also applies to using reverse.
So, just focus on this "launch" skill.

Best advice on the launch: tap-tap-tap the accelerator

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Man....alot of people learning how to drive manual on a brand new car let alone a type R lol I would either borrow or rent some piece of shit manual econobox, grab a buddy who knows how to drive manual well, and spend a a day or two going through all the rough stuff (take off with 1st, hill take off/parallel park on car with handbrake, rev matching, etc). You won't be good after a couple of days but at least you would have gotten all the bad stalling or gear grinding newb mistakes out of the way on another car.

I "learned" the day I got my permit at 15 and a half. After a short tutorial in the parking lot, dad told me drive us home.....during rush hour. It was an interesting day lol learned most of the basics to get going and everything else just came with experience. But boy would I feel bad learning on a brand new performance car. Poor CTR clutch....

OP
OP
GundamTypeR

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Man....alot of people learning how to drive manual on a brand new car let alone a type R lol I would either borrow or rent some piece of shit manual econobox, grab a buddy who knows how to drive manual well, and spend a a day or two going through all the rough stuff (take off with 1st, hill take off/parallel park on car with handbrake, rev matching, etc). You won't be good after a couple of days but at least you would have gotten all the bad stalling or gear grinding newb mistakes out of the way on another car.

I "learned" the day I got my permit at 15 and a half. After a short tutorial in the parking lot, dad told me drive us home.....during rush hour. It was an interesting day lol learned most of the basics to get going and everything else just came with experience. But boy would I feel bad learning on a brand new performance car. Poor CTR clutch....
I actually test drove a type r before owning mine lol, so I do have prior experience to it somewhat. My car also isn't new, it has about 8k miles on it already

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Man....alot of people learning how to drive manual on a brand new car let alone a type R
I understand where you are coming from, but at the end of the day it's just a Civic. Seems like he has at least the basics, and not a brand new driver over all so that definitely helps.

Not like this guy is learning on a Ferrari... ?

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just recently swapped to manual, so that was kind of a surreal experience driving the same exact car that used to be auto. I never learned driving manual beforehand and stalled 5-6 times just pulling out of the garage. Honestly I didn't start driving untill I could take off without looking at the rpms. My exhaust is louder so I can hear it well as well with full motor mounts it helps feel the civic's torque level. My advice: Don't stare at the rpms and just feel them.

OP
OP
GundamTypeR

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just recently swapped to manual, so that was kind of a surreal experience driving the same exact car that used to be auto. I never learned driving manual beforehand and stalled 5-6 times just pulling out of the garage. Honestly I didn't start driving untill I could take off without looking at the rpms. My exhaust is louder so I can hear it well as well with full motor mounts it helps feel the civic's torque level. My advice: Don't stare at the rpms and just feel them.
The one thing I did not try yet in the R when a dealership let me test drive one was actually reversing. That should be fun : )

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the CTR transmission is half as sweet as our '12 Si, you're getting one of the easiest to drive manual systems available. If you can drive any manual this car is a snap to learn. Don't ride the clutch and you're all set. Enjoy!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The Type R is a fairly easy car to learn manual on, so be happy for that. Learn how to use the clutch and don't treat it like an on-off switch. It's really continuous more than anything. Driving smoothly with a manual takes a lot of time. There is no set RPM to shift at, that's really up to the driver and how they're feeling that day. The Type R does have a bit of rev hang, so the amount of time you're off throttle when shifting up will depend on the speed/gear/RPM that you're at (that is the learning curve to driving smoothly).

That said, although it's not impossible to destroy your car learning how to drive it, it's highly unlikely.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I'll be getting a Type R in 2 days and have a little experience driving a manual, but have been mostly driving automatics for a while. Are there any important tips you guys can share that will make my experience driving the R better? i.e. shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear at x rpm.
Best advice I can give is first learn exactly how a manual transmission works by teaching yourself the mechanics. After doing that, you will be able to correct your own mistakes easily by comparing how the car reacts to how you know it works mechanically. Civics (including the R) are some of the easiest manual transmission vehicles I have ever driven - you will be a pro in no time.

Blood_TypeR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R SGP
Country flag
You have a long way to go my friend time will tell..please remember that u will not be able to fully master a manual transmission car in such a short time, there is a lot more other stuff to learn than getting your “ 1st gear launch” down.feeling the downforce of downshifts thru the engine when downshifting (auto rev off), learning how to down shift n brake at the same time if needed in the situation, No you do not need to press the clutch every time u brake or slow down You only need to press in the clutch if you are changing gears or you are slowing to a stop. ... You press the clutch when you are going to change the gear. Lol @ poor ctr clutch comment..

Here are some golden tips

#1 Never rest your hand ? on the gear shifter

#2 & #3 Do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal & Don’t leave your car in gear at a traffic light ? waiting for the light to turn green
Sponsored