Tips/advice for negotiating non-face to face deal at the dealership.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
If all goes well, I plan on purchasing a new xgen in the next couple weeks.

I have 2 honda dealerships near me. One doesn’t have what I want, the other does, just not in the preferred color (but I’d be honestly OK with the color they have). Multiple dealerships an hour + away have the color I (the wife) prefers. Has anyone had any luck with aggressive negotiations via email to get your desired deal, or close? Or am I better off going in person? I’ve always done the in person thing, and don’t really mind, but I’d also prefer to not be out hopping from dealership to dealership negotiating deals for 2 days.
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Doing online/email/text is a lot easier I feel. At least in terms of settling on a price/terms.

Doing research (knowing what price you want to pay).

Don’t get emotional.

Stick to your original price of what you are willing to pay. Don’t deviate.

Be willing and ready to walk.

It is 100% a buyer’s market.

I’ve brought about 13 cars in my life...the last couple were definitely a lot easier with a phone right at your disposal. The earlier years you don’t have the internet right there to get information.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Doing online/email/text is a lot easier I feel. At least in terms of settling on a price/terms.

Doing research (knowing what price you want to pay).

Don’t get emotional.

Stick to your original price of what you are willing to pay. Don’t deviate.

Be willing and ready to walk.

It is 100% a buyer’s market.

I’ve brought about 13 cars in my life...the last couple were definitely a lot easier with a phone right at your disposal. The earlier years you don’t have the internet right there to get information.
I wasn’t sure how aggressive I could get with the offers being that I’m not able to “walk away” from a deal over an email/text/call.

I’ll give it a shot. I guess that gives me more freedom with traveling as well, as I’m willing to drive a couple/few hours if the savings are worth it, but not willing to travel that far just to check.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I emailed a couple dealerships to see which quote was best and used that to bargain with the dealership closest to me. Told the salesman what I was looking to put down, the monthly payments I was after, the civic and trim model I wanted, exterior color + interior color, and a competing quote I had gotten from another dealer. It was funny because I hadn’t heard back from him so I was going to go to the other dealership that had given me a good quote after work to purchased the car, but on my lunch break I checked my emails and he sent me pictures of the car I had requested on the truck all protected wrapped. I gave that salesmen my respect cause he got me the exact car I wanted inside and out (special ordered it) and was able to beat the competing dealers price. Only had 1 mile on the car when I hopped in it and drive it off the lot

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan, 19 Accord
Country flag
The last few cars I have bought have all been negotiated 100% via phone/email. COVID is also forcing dealers to get comfortable with this idea as well. My suggestion is to shop every dealer within your comfortable driving range that has the car you want. I think letting them know you are ready to buy as soon as you get the right deal is key. They deal with nonsense all day and showing you are serious helps solve that. Be kind and polite (people are usually jerks when trying to haggle), but firm on whatever you are willing to pay. The worst case is that they don't call/email back or tell you no.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If they hit you back (online/email/text) with a ridiculous $24k price on a $24.5k msrp. Simply don’t answer, that’s walking. You can get that type of “discount” any where any time.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I emailed a couple dealerships to see which quote was best and used that to bargain with the dealership closest to me. Told the salesman what I was looking to put down, the monthly payments I was after, the civic and trim model I wanted, exterior color + interior color, and a competing quote I had gotten from another dealer. It was funny because I hadn’t heard back from him so I was going to go to the other dealership that had given me a good quote after work to purchased the car, but on my lunch break I checked my emails and he sent me pictures of the car I had requested on the truck all protected wrapped. I gave that salesmen my respect cause he got me the exact car I wanted inside and out (special ordered it) and was able to beat the competing dealers price. Only had 1 mile on the car when I hopped in it and drive it off the lot
Wow. 1 mile is crazy! Must’ve felt great.

I think I’m just gonna end up writing an email, that I’ll send out to multiple dealerships, and see where it goes. Sounds like it’s easier than I thought it would be.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
The last few cars I have bought have all been negotiated 100% via phone/email. COVID is also forcing dealers to get comfortable with this idea as well. My suggestion is to shop every dealer within your comfortable driving range that has the car you want. I think letting them know you are ready to buy as soon as you get the right deal is key. They deal with nonsense all day and showing you are serious helps solve that. Be kind and polite (people are usually jerks when trying to haggle), but firm on whatever you are willing to pay. The worst case is that they don't call/email back or tell you no.
I’m definitely serious, just waiting on something to happen financially to be sure of what I’ll be getting.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
If they hit you back (online/email/text) with a ridiculous $24k price on a $24.5k msrp. Simply don’t answer, that’s walking. You can get that type of “discount” any where any time.
Makes sense... not sure how much wiggle room I have if I end up going after the si, since these dealerships think they’re sitting on gold mines being that “this is the last si”, according to them.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Wow. 1 mile is crazy! Must’ve felt great.

I think I’m just gonna end up writing an email, that I’ll send out to multiple dealerships, and see where it goes. Sounds like it’s easier than I thought it would be.
Just make sure to get the quote in writing so you can always go back and show them the quote you got and they’ll acknowledge the price. Also you’ll use that to show other dealers proof on the price you were given

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Just make sure to get the quote in writing so you can always go back and show them the quote you got and they’ll acknowledge the price. Also you’ll use that to show other dealers proof on the price you were given
The one that’s got back to me so far has marked it up quite a bit... this isn’t going so well.. BUT, it’s only one. I’ve messaged quite a few already.

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
My only advice is to go as close to the end of the month as you can. When I bought my car last month, the salesman was so eager to make an end of the month sale that he actually back dated the paperwork because I wasn't able to get in until the 1st of the month.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
My only advice is to go as close to the end of the month as you can. When I bought my car last month, the salesman was so eager to make an end of the month sale that he actually back dated the paperwork because I wasn't able to get in until the 1st of the month.
Hoping my timing works out so I can do that...

aerodynamics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2020 Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
I bought a 2020 Sport HB recently and did all of the negotiating by email. The dealer had the exact spec I wanted but they were an hour away and I didn't want to spend a day going back and forth and playing the game. After several emails over the course of a week, I ended up paying dealer cost for the car + tax/fees. The only time I stepped foot in the dealer was to sign the paperwork and pickup the car. The sales person is more likely to say no and tell you to kick rocks via email but if you do your research and have reasoning for your negotiation (rather than throwing out random numbers), you should have a similar experience.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I worked directly with the GM. Got my hatch for under sticker price. Also got all my add-ons at dealer cost with free installation. I never talk to sales people.
Sponsored