Tinting In Pennsylvania, What's Your Experience?

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Here in Delaware, you get your Dr to give you the med exemption to allow the darkest possible tint cause you have issues with the brightness of the sun, not uv rays.
Does the clear film even do anything for glare? I can't see that it could.
The medical exception is for CLEAR UV Film only, Absolutely NO tint other than what comes from the factory is legal. Because I have mid-stage cataracts, glare was my 1st concern. After having a somewhat unpleasant text exchange with a tint shop in Harrisburg, not particularly helpful, I've decided to throw in the towel and give up. Not willing to spend the $3-500 tab, get stopped and have to pay to have it removed. Pennsylvania is incredibly stupid, backwards and out-of-date on this issue. Thanking everyone here for their input and experience.
Sponsored

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
I lived in wilkes barre and east Stroudsburg in the mid 2000. 5% tint used on all windows except windshield. No problems then.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm surprised tint shops even exist in pennsylvania with those rules

Telly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Never had a problem other than a cop commenting on it in the Wawa parking lot. The piggies ain’t worried about tint most of the time here in SE PA

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I'm surprised tint shops even exist in pennsylvania with those rules
There are some windows on pickups, limousines and some other vehicles that may be tinted, but not passenger cars. Took note the the Governor's car is tinted as are most police vehicles. Also a lot of homeowners get windows tinted to cut heat load. The whole mess is unfair, arbitrary and pretty stupid. Classic example of the hierarchy making separate standards for the rulers and the ruled. IMHO. Most prevalent reason given is "The safety of the police" and impairment of vision.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
These same laws have been like this since I started driving in the early 90's and it's not going to change here till a group of people make the proper "donations" to the politicians that introduce, and push legislation.

Since my wife has joined the law enforcement work force, we plan on adding her to the registrations, etc. since it seems that pretty much all police in this state have their personal vehicles tinted as dark as the squad cars and never have to remove theirs.

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
Every time I visit family in Connecticut I travel through Pennsylvania I end up getting pulled over due to my tint. They never take into consideration I am from another state where it is legal and I end up being let go. I think that state hates window tints. EDIT: If I lived in Pennsylvania I would be worried about putting tint on any of my vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have pretty much given up on tinting, anyway you look at it it's a $4-500 crap shoot. With a white Coupe with red badges and red painted calipers, it's just asking for problems. Thanks everyone for the comments/tips & experiences. I just ordered a new pair of polorized prescription sunglasses, that'll have to do.

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
I have been living in York, Pa. for the past 27 years. I have had 35% tint, all except windshield, on my 2018 coupe for two years. Before that, I had 35% on my Veloster for 6 years. I have worked in Harrisburg all that time and made trips to Maryland a fair bit. Never been pulled over for tint.
I agree to roll the windows down and turn on interior lights so the police can see you and don't feel threatened. Even if they use the tint as an excuse to pull you over (a big "if", I think), as long as you don't make them feel threatened and you are polite, they will likely let you go.
Bottom line is get the tint. It makes the car look so much better. I can recommend a really good guy in Harrisburg if you PM me.
This is actually a great point. A cop might pull you over when they see you drive by with tints, but they only get a closer look when they pull you over. Roll down the window when they're at your door and ta-da, the problem isn't sitting directly in their face and the tints don't cause them a problem.

Win-win.

Lunatrix

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Sheesh man that's rough. I'm assuming some areas in PA are a lot more strict than others or is it strict all around?

Here in North Jersey thankfully it's not bad and only a $55 ticket but it's hit or miss lol. Went to a car meet last thursday with my buddy and as soon as we went into the lot he got ticketed for no plate/windshield tint while I've been riding with tints for a year or so with no tickets.
Another thing to keep in mind in North Jersey, I got pulled over and ticketed ($55) for tinted license plate covers! Cops are going to license plate readers, and he said my plate was not readable!

Flaco1er

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Live in the poconos Pennsylvania with 30% all around and you good never had a problem.

Legal is 70% and got my tints through my dealer in Wilkes Barre, PA

Honda Civic 10th gen Tinting In Pennsylvania, What's Your Experience? 53AEE386-71AD-4D12-941A-F66AF0A05B85
Sponsored