First Name
Mugen X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sports 2019
Country flag
Hi,

I'm just wondering if tinting headights and brakelights are legal here in Nova Scotia Canada.. I'm planning to install vvivid dark black. I would really appreciate if anyone does know.
Sponsored

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
I'm not entirely sure on Canadian rules. but I think they still apply the same. Headlight tinting is illegal if it blocks out the brightness of the light. Same goes for tail lights, if they aren't visible at night, cops are probably gonna give you a hard time

OP
OP
Mugen X

Mugen X

First Name
Mugen X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not entirely sure on Canadian rules. but I think they still apply the same. Headlight tinting is illegal if it blocks out the brightness of the light. Same goes for tail lights, if they aren't visible at night, cops are probably gonna give you a hard time
Thank you mate! I better not to install it just on a safe side.

FRDA250.FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Premium auto styling has vinyl kits that tint the side of the tail lights black and inserts that smoke the reverse and blinker.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tinting Headlights and taillights 8589DEA3-04C2-4836-89DF-DE71E25E8429

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Premium auto styling has vinyl kits that tint the side of the tail lights black and inserts that smoke the reverse and blinker.

8589DEA3-04C2-4836-89DF-DE71E25E8429.jpeg
I understand why people do it, it looks good don't get me wrong. But I've seen a lot of stupid accidents happen that could be avoided cuz of some people with tinted reverse lights. I'm not hating, just saying be safe lol. You may know how to drive, but some other joe shmo won't

FRDA250.FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand why people do it, it looks good don't get me wrong. But I've seen a lot of stupid accidents happen that could be avoided cuz of some people with tinted reverse lights. I'm not hating, just saying be safe lol. You may know how to drive, but some other joe shmo won't
The picture makes the insert look darker then it is, it’s more smoke then black, also LEDs are much brighter then the stock halogens. But yes I can’t disagree with you

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Reducing the effectiveness of the standard safety features of your car is always illegal and dangerous. But if you want to risk getting rear-ended and blamed for the accident regardless of who’s fault it was, go for it. I don’t think police really care. Depends on the state. But if little old Granny smacks you from behind and insurance finds out you had tinted tail lights, you’re toast.

There are quite a few aftermarket light assemblies that can get rid of the mass of red plastic without reducing light output.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
The picture makes the insert look darker then it is, it’s more smoke then black, also LEDs are much brighter then the stock halogens. But yes I can’t disagree with you
Ahhh ok I see. Those I can imagine are bright enough to shine through the smoke

OP
OP
Mugen X

Mugen X

First Name
Mugen X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the
Reducing the effectiveness of the standard safety features of your car is always illegal and dangerous. But if you want to risk getting rear-ended and blamed for the accident regardless of who’s fault it was, go for it. I don’t think police really care. Depends on the state. But if little old Granny smacks you from behind and insurance finds out you had tinted tail lights, you’re toast.

There are quite a few aftermarket light assemblies that can get rid of the mass of red plastic without reducing light output.
Thank you. I couldn’t disagree more.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll say it again in this thread, I've almost rear ended a few 10th gens that had there taillights tinted so dark that you could barely see the brake lights even at night. Be careful how dark you go or get aftermarket ones that are meant to keep light output at a decent level.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
pretty sure they aren't "legal" anywhere, I mean think about it, do you walk around with sunglasses on at night? Also generally speaking tail lights are required to reach a certain brightness level during a sunny day to be seen from like 200 or 300 feet away (thats roughly how the law is written where I am, paraphrasing of course) if tinting reduces it below that threashold then it's illegal, if you are above that threshold where you enter a grey area of the law where you meet the requirements of the law but you've also modified lighting and that is illegal under other laws (typically the same law that makes dropping HID bulbs into reflector housings illegal).
Sponsored