First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait, so: seems risky to mod an area that might affect safety. What about airbag deployment?
I agree but IF the airbag deploys it pushes the A pillar sideways towards the middle of the windshield. The A pillar isn't going to shoot into your face. Otherwise it'll be a concern with all Cars with/without gauges.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree but IF the airbag deploys it pushes the A pillar sideways towards the middle of the windshield. The A pillar isn't going to shoot into your face. Otherwise it'll be a concern with all Cars with/without gauges.
Right, I guess I mean that a-pillar cover is ā€˜hingedā€™, so, itā€™d swing up toward the windshield, allowing the airbag to inflate outward. I wonder if the gauges might get in the way of allowing that cover to fully move out of the way. šŸ¤” Please donā€™t test this hypothesis! šŸ˜…

OP
OP
Thusee

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right, I guess I mean that a-pillar cover is ā€˜hingedā€™, so, itā€™d swing up toward the windshield, allowing the airbag to inflate outward. I wonder if the gauges might get in the way of allowing that cover to fully move out of the way. šŸ¤” Please donā€™t test this hypothesis! šŸ˜…
Haha I'll hold you to that. I wont make any attempts to test it out at least try not too šŸ˜…

I made sure non of the gauge harness was in the way of the airbag itself.

šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

OP
OP
Thusee

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Progress update on the gauges:

Decided to go through the main harness grommet near the clutch pedal instead of drilling into the firewall.

Wideband and boost is wired up.

Wideband wiring is routed under the battery and zip tied to the harness.

Boost sensor is ziptied to the harness running across the firewall. Sensor is mounted near passenger side.

Oem vacuum/boost hose cut in half, used a T fitting to feed the new sensor for the boost reading.

Oil temp harness is run into the bay but sealed for the time being until I can get under the car.

Here is a Short clip of it operational. I'll get some pics of the boost setup.

I do need a new tune soon!

OP
OP
Thusee

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well here it is. Oil temp has been completed.

Earlier I posted how I drilled and tapped an oem oil drain bolt for the 1/4 npt oil temp sensor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si InFrame_1648989471138

Applied some high temp sealer and let sit over night.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220404_162850

Today I installed the tapped plug and sensor and left car running on hoist for like 30 min. No leaks and it was a success!

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_171445

However the actual sensor harness isn't long enough to reach where I needed it to be so I ended up having to extend the wires. As always, soldered, liquid tape, heat shrink, electric tape was applied haha.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_172845

Ran new wireloom and ziptied it all together. Ensured there was some slack in the harness to account for engine movement so it doesn't rip out the connector.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_183038

Here is the boost sensor that was supplied with AEM went with the 50 Psi.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_184018

T fitting for the boost sensor reading.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_183957

All wired up and reading correctly, will have to recheck for leaks in a few days time.
Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_191240

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_191326

Honda Civic 10th gen Thuseefc - Mugen Si 20220405_200234

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Quick question regarding those Mugen rep taillight, are they DOT/SAE certified?

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Quick question regarding those Mugen rep taillight, are they DOT/SAE certified?
With the sequential turn signals, not a chance.

Also, they aren't stamped with the DOT code. This is technically a requirement iirc, but lots of light have a DOT code stamp that aren't up to DOT specs either.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Thusee

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Also, they aren't stamped with the DOT code. This is technically a requirement iirc, but lots of light have a DOT code stamp that aren't up to DOT specs either.
Just curious how come not a chance with sequential?

A lot of Cars come with sequential now too?

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

vland show SAE approved and meet DOT regulations. And have both stamp on their sequential headlight. šŸ¤·

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Ask a couple seller regarding this. One said no but in process of approval. While another state in description that they are SAE/DOT approved but when ask if they have stamp on housing, they said no. šŸ˜…

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Just curious how come not a chance with sequential?

A lot of Cars come with sequential now too?
IIRC DOT has a turn signal size requirements which those tiny ass LEDs don't meet.

From what I heard, the OEM's sequential get around DOT by having the first light, that lights up in the sequence, meet all of the DOT turn signal requirements. The rest of the sequence are just secondary turn signal lights.

Ask a couple seller regarding this. One said no but in process of approval. While another state in description that they are SAE/DOT approved but when ask if they have stamp on housing, they said no. šŸ˜…
I don't believe any approval process actually exists. It is just the manufacture stating that the lights meet said requirements (DOT, EU, etc).

Last edited:

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC DOT has a turn signal size requirements which those tiny ass LEDs don't meet.

From what I heard, the OEM's sequential get around DOT by having the first light, that lights up in the sequence, meet all of the DOT turn signal requirements. The rest of the sequence are just secondary turn signal lights.

I don't believe any approval process actually exists. It is just the manufacture stating that the lights meet said requirements (DOT, EU, etc).
Heres what they said regarding the stamp...
"It's DOT / SAE but not stamped yet , as manufactuer forgot to stamp".
šŸ˜‚
Sponsored