Thumping sound around 60mph

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Trying to diagnose this problem before I take it in to the dealer to have them fix it under warranty. Lately my car has been making a weird thumping sound when I'm on the freeway or going around 60ish or higher. Figured there might have been something stuck on my tires but tires are all clear of rocks or anything that might have been stuck in the threads. I do run my car hard a lot, and I'm starting to think it might be the CVT.

Something unrelated as well but does everyone else's engines make a whining sound at higher RPM? Sort of sounds like a supercharger whine nearly.

Any inputs?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Trying to diagnose this problem before I take it in to the dealer to have them fix it under warranty. Lately my car has been making a weird thumping sound when I'm on the freeway or going around 60ish or higher. Figured there might have been something stuck on my tires but tires are all clear of rocks or anything that might have been stuck in the threads. I do run my car hard a lot, and I'm starting to think it might be the CVT.

Something unrelated as well but does everyone else's engines make a whining sound at higher RPM? Sort of sounds like a supercharger whine nearly.

Any inputs?
Is it cyclical/rotational thumping? You might have a loose flap somewhere that's thumping around with speed. Or it could be a suspension issue, so you should probably just take it in. It's not the CVT.

If you hear a high pitched whine at high RPM it's likely just the alternator doing its thing. See if it's coming from your speakers.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it cyclical/rotational thumping? You might have a loose flap somewhere that's thumping around with speed. Or it could be a suspension issue, so you should probably just take it in. It's not the CVT.

If you hear a high pitched whine at high RPM it's likely just the alternator doing its thing. See if it's coming from your speakers.
I had checked the entire car for loose parts and have found nothing. I'll probably take it in for service soon, I'm due for an oil change very soon anyway so I'll have it checked out then and I'll report back in case anyone else has this issue.

Regarding the whine, nope, not coming from my speakers, I did turn off audio and turn down the speakers just to make sure. Definitely more noticeable once I'm done running the car hard.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I had checked the entire car for loose parts and have found nothing. I'll probably take it in for service soon, I'm due for an oil change very soon anyway so I'll have it checked out then and I'll report back in case anyone else has this issue.

Regarding the whine, nope, not coming from my speakers, I did turn off audio and turn down the speakers just to make sure. Definitely more noticeable once I'm done running the car hard.
Alternator whine will come through speakers regardless of whether the audio is on or off haha. It's essentially coil whine that's being transmitted.

It could also be just fans, etc. Someone on here mentioned they had whine through HVAC which was due to a dirty cabin air filter.

Just run them by your dealer! I'd be inclined to be slightly more concerned about the thumping than the whine.

Thinking about it now, it could also be that you lose some wheel weights and one of your rims is unbalanced.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alternator whine will come through speakers regardless of whether the audio is on or off haha. It's essentially coil whine that's being transmitted.

It could also be just fans, etc. Someone on here mentioned they had whine through HVAC which was due to a dirty cabin air filter.

Just run them by your dealer! I'd be inclined to be slightly more concerned about the thumping than the whine.

Thinking about it now, it could also be that you lose some wheel weights and one of your rims is unbalanced.
Would cornering hard often cause it to fall off? haha. I'll make an appointment and figure out whats up. Thanks a lot for your input.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Any inputs?
I have literally these same two things happening. The whine is definitely the cvt but after some research it seems like that's just a noise these transmissions make at higher rpm. I get it very noticeably inside the cabin above 4k rpm, it is 100% tied to how fast the engine is spinning the transmission. But as of now I'm not concerned, haven't had any slipping or anything. As for the thumping noise, I would describe it as more of a flapping, from low on the passenger side. I went nuts looking for a loose panel somewhere, but as of this moment I'm stumped as well. It doesn't happen 100% of the time for me, maybe 50%.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Would cornering hard often cause it to fall off? haha. I'll make an appointment and figure out whats up. Thanks a lot for your input.
A wheel weight can come off by a number of things,pot hole,etc.

Most are put on with adhesive or the older weights are clipped into the inside of the wheel lip.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
A wheel weight can come off by a number of things,pot hole,etc.

Most are put on with adhesive or the older weights are clipped into the inside of the wheel lip.
Unless he's running steelings they're going to be adhesives. And yes, they come off rather frequently, especially if they didn't clean the surface before attaching.
Sponsored