First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do the CTR folks notice a difference by doing this modification? If so, how much of a difference did they notice temperature wise? Just curious!
It will work across all platforms with non metal IM’s and intake hoses. However you’ll want to put it back to normal once outside temps get to around 2°C/35°F and below to prevent TB from freezing stuck, especially if you got an Ic. That’s why I recommend a valve to simply open and close the cooling circuit.Or put in logic to open and close based on ambient temp. Any little bit helps. I’m positive it would prove itself on the dyno. Bigger gains for turbo for sure. I remember doing this on my z32 300zx and it didn’t make a difference because the IM and lower IM were bare aluminum.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm anxiously waiting to do this next time I have time. My ait slowly heats up to 20 over ambient no matter what I do. I really believe it's the throttle body coolant heating it up
Is that 20 increase at the maf or in the manifold?

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic si-sold, 1999 crv-sold, 2014 crv, 2017 civic si
Country flag
How can you reach it for a quick swap. I can't reach the rubber lines for the life of me.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How can you reach it for a quick swap. I can't reach the rubber lines for the life of me.
Its not easy on type r. 1.5t just take the upper hose and rotate to the bottom port where you removed it.. loop the line using the stock hoses

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Throttle Body Coolant Bypass C32D0A24-107D-473A-A0E7-F5F8D34E1A38
Honda Civic 10th gen Throttle Body Coolant Bypass BFAC0E57-E18E-4D81-B5C8-A72EEE2474C1
Honda Civic 10th gen Throttle Body Coolant Bypass B6A5BE57-57D8-48E5-8D0A-C23CD6210B0D

I have the non turbo, it was a breeze. Took the hose off the blue circle and attached it to the green circle on the housing, put a bolt in the hose for the green circle, and a cap for the metal tube at blue circle. It’s a straight forward modification, just trace the coolant lines from the tb to thermostat housing. Regardless, prepare to remove intake hose(na) or charge hose(turbo) connected to TB. It is enough to physically notice a difference when driving afterward. COOLANT WILL BE PISSING OUT ONCE YOU REMOVE ANY THERMOSTAT HOSE, so make the swap of lines quick so you don’t lose a lot of coolant. I had coolant vacuum machine at the shop but doesn’t suck it all out with the cap on overflow instead of radiator. If you’re worried about washing/rinsing engine bay, just drain the radiator. I will update with a valve hopefully soon. Happy modding :)

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic si-sold, 1999 crv-sold, 2014 crv, 2017 civic si
Country flag
Tyvm! I wasn't even considering the other ends away from the throttle body ?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tyvm! I wasn't even considering the other ends away from the throttle body ?
Yeah the tb was farther, i actually didn’t have to remove the intake hose to tb just the air filter cover. Looks like the 1.5 only has 2 hoses instead of the 3 for the 2.0’s. Might be a little more difficult.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will work across all platforms with non metal IM’s and intake hoses. However you’ll want to put it back to normal once outside temps get to around 2°C/35°F and below to prevent TB from freezing stuck, especially if you got an Ic. That’s why I recommend a valve to simply open and close the cooling circuit.Or put in logic to open and close based on ambient temp. Any little bit helps. I’m positive it would prove itself on the dyno. Bigger gains for turbo for sure. I remember doing this on my z32 300zx and it didn’t make a difference because the IM and lower IM were bare aluminum.

Thanks for the insight but I'm familiar with how it works. I've done it on other cars too. For example, here is one post I did it on my 2015 Honda Fit HERE. Thing is, you mentioned horsepower numbers and about the temperatures being the same in the manifold after this modification was done. Where can I read about this information on the Type R? I want to be able to read someone who has data that shows a difference in intake manifold temps after the modification was done. Or a horsepower difference after this modification was done. Not guesstimates!

I've done this and tested before and after both on track (dragstrip) as well as using TorquePro software to measure my 0-60, 1/8th and 1/4 mile times. There was no difference on my Honda Fit.

I live on Northeast, U.S. so we have cold winters so I won't be doing it. However, if someone has measurable data to show a difference, I will 'absolutely' do this while running at the dragstrip. Thanks!

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the insight but I'm familiar with how it works. I've done it on other cars too. For example, here is one post I did it on my 2015 Honda Fit HERE. Thing is, you mentioned horsepower numbers and about the temperatures being the same in the manifold after this modification was done. Where can I read about this information on the Type R? I want to be able to read someone who has data that shows a difference in intake manifold temps after the modification was done. Or a horsepower difference after this modification was done. Not guesstimates!

I've done this and tested before and after both on track (dragstrip) as well as using TorquePro software to measure my 0-60, 1/8th and 1/4 mile times. There was no difference on my Honda Fit.

I live on Northeast, U.S. so we have cold winters so I won't be doing it. However, if someone has measurable data to show a difference, I will 'absolutely' do this while running at the dragstrip. Thanks!
get hondata or ktuner and see the difference in manifold temps while doing a pull before and after the modification and actually feeling the difference yourself.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
get hondata or ktuner and see the difference in manifold temps while doing a pull before and after the modification and actually feeling the difference yourself.
So you never tested to see before and after intake manifold temps on your car? I don't go by feeling. I stopped trusting my dusty old butt dyno some 20yrs ago. And I know I can test for myself. I'm asking if you did or know of someone who did that have data to support what you are claiming. I just want to read it. Thanks! :p

I've tested this already on my Fit and saw no difference in measuring. Either by track, street timing. Temps did change....but nothing measurable time wise or horsepower wise (Torque Pro App). Same engine, just not turbocharged.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing scientific Myx but I did this to my '02 Elantra GT hatch back in the day. I did it because a lot of the guys at my forum were doing it. I think it's one of those simple to do "can't hurt" mods but I don't think it will give any appreciable difference in performance.

On the other hand, getting that same car's throttle body ported and polished did make a noticeable difference. ;)

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you never tested to see before and after intake manifold temps on your car? I don't go by feeling. I stopped trusting my dusty old butt dyno some 20yrs ago. And I know I can test for myself. I'm asking if you did or know of someone who did that have data to support what you are claiming. I just want to read it. Thanks! :p

I've tested this already on my Fit and saw no difference in measuring. Either by track, street timing. Temps did change....but nothing measurable time wise or horsepower wise (Torque Pro App). Same engine, just not turbocharged.
I mentioned I have the 2.0 non turbo. My intake sensor is built into the maf. The type r has 2 intake temp sensors, one built into the maf and one on the intake manifold. I don’t have ktuner yet... or have access to a dyno, but I could definitely feel it pull harder. Try not to compare it with a different vehicle with a completely different valve train, you’ll barely notice a difference with a 1.5 non turbo with this mod... not trying to offend you.

tripodog

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc2 sport 2.slow
Country flag
I hope I won’t be fueling the fire here. I wanted to test the bypass in cold weather. I wanted to see it the TB does ice in colder weather.
My 89 jeep xj does not have coolant running through it, the difference is it’s cable actuated. I drive it hard in the snow and it pulls cold air from outside the engine bay. Never had a icing problem.
so I did the bypass on my 2.0 na 6mt. with 60*f temps. I noticed some differences just off throttle (crisper) and the intake was cold even after 100 hard driven miles.
Today it was 35*f. She had sat a few nights outside where temps dropped below 32. It started and warmed up normally.
I drive up the mountain pass so I could keep good speed, doing full throttle pulls and keeping high rpm.
Even at 32*, the IAT never dropped below 36* (Usual is 8-10*above ambient). Stopped to check temp of TB. Cold, but not threatening cold.
I put about 60miles on it in cold weather, no problems.
I did feel crispier throttle at first throttle opening, between shifts, and Vtec felt more pronounced. Stft’s seemed to want to add more fuel, not a outrageous amount but more. That could be from colder air in general tho.

I will try it again with colder temps and report back.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe the stock box is getting heated up. Try some gold reflective tape on the plastic surfaces of the top and mid air box and surrounding maf that engine heat would come Into contact with and recheck temps
Sponsored